Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Whitehaven Saints

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm sure the clowns on the other site will be doing a merry jig because theyve became saints feeder club. Im also sure there odds will now be slashed and will be favourites to win the league and challenge cup double

(null)
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Star can hardly contain itself . Good news for them I guess although the sentence ' leading players not in their squad of 19 ' is a bit of an oxymoron.

#3 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Saints have also linked with Rochdale as well

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Oldham are in the mix to aren't they ?!! Can't deny they have some belting kids but just how things work control wise and in practice remains to be seen . Often you should be careful what you wish for . Saints aren't doing worthy philanthropic works Victorian style ...They're looking after themselves and pulling the strings.

Edited by DavidM, 11 October 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

not now they've linked up with rochdale thank god

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#6 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Its a strange un if im right rochdale get the u19,s we get the the 1st teamers not playing could be good could be bad who knows

#7 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

Haven will be getting the odd player who is willing to travel and is on the cusp of the 1st team, it's not as if you'll be getting Gaskell because lomax and hohaia are in favour.

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

they should get gaskell cos it'll be the only way he can keep match fit

Edited by roughyedspud, 11 October 2012 - 02:04 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

They'll be getting top stars no doubt ...Coxy will say so , if they can get in of course . I can hear it now

Edited by DavidM, 11 October 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#10 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Dave Woods has been helping out at Saints since he left York, so he should know there players.

#11 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

and no doubt if it was town linking up with them it would be fatastic news,not a lover of this new sustem but as lots of clubs had already taken the plunge then if you dont get invovled it will make it very difficult for clubs
dont expect to see the like of lomax etc but ade gardner and the likes would be good

#12 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Aye your probably right .

#13 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

Town still with HKR?
Does this mean havens link with Leeds is now over?

#14 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

No idea about the hull kr link, I'm sure its still running but not exactly showing great results other than petersen.

#15 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Their fans went crazy at their last SL link up and it resulted in nothing. I hope we chase the local talent and let them concentrate on giving a few kids from away a game.

#16 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Its a strange un if im right rochdale get the u19,s we get the the 1st teamers not playing could be good could be bad who knows

Not so donald. Saints will have their own Under 19 team same as all the other SL clubs. Rochdale are the Saints first link up club and they have even had one of their coaches made head coach at Rochdale to oversee the first team whilst Rochdale's option for that post is now coach of Rochdale's youth team.

Any SL club that has an official link with a Championship (or CH1) club can take a 2nd link as long as the 2nd club is situated in certain areas outside the M62 corridor and Cumbria is one of those areas. It could therefore be possible for Town (or Haven) to have a link up with 2 SL clubs.

My view is that it is the thin end of the wedge and the Championship clubs have took another step towards becoming SL feeder clubs. Under this system all the good amateur kids end up going straight to SL clubs Under 19's whilst our clubs give game time to SL clubs fringe players. It will be interesting to see who pays these players and how that applies to salary caps in each division!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#17 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

All this link up ###### is just another nail in the coffin of RL outside Super League ( I'm not just saying this because of what haven have done). Take players on loan by all means but dual reg isn't the way forward. What chance is there for developing local youngsters ? Well done to the clowns who run the game you're playing a blinder. :(

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Apart from any other argument the system puts both Town and Haven at a disadvantage because of our location. Rochdale players will be able to take advantage of regular use of the better training facilities at St Helens whereas we struggle to get even dual reg players to travel regularly up here for games never mind training. Will some of any SL clubs fringe players be chuffed having to travel up here???

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#19 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

Me thinks there's a ruse here to get the Cumbrian amateurs info the SL clubs system

#20 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

There's also a ruse to destroy all of the clubs outside super league

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users