Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Whitehaven Saints

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

What's the odds on Havens 2013 squad having fewer Cumbrians than their 2012 squad? I'd say it's odds on now.!
"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#22 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

How do these link ups work with the salary caps? Unless there are some tighter regulations coming out I can foresee it opening a can of worms!!!!

Say a team is close to the salary cap limit and signs on a player that pushes them over the cap limit. A fine and points deduction follows.

On the other hand a club could be close to the salary cap limit and because of a link up bring in a player on a much higher salary and supposedly that will be okay. Even though the SL club could be paying their players salary the Championship club is still getting an advantage over the other example above.

I think the whole system is fraught with potholes and needs to be given more thought as it seems to have been rushed through by SL clubs.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#23 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

I can't make my mind up if this link up thing is a good thing or not. I suppose it will have its pros and cons.
If the club thinks its the way forward fair doo's but I'm not convinced.
I'm sure 10 miles down the road most will be happy as Saints are a big club and if your gonna jump in it may as well be with them.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#24 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

We will still beat the ####### jam if they link up with all sl clubs hahahahahaha

#25 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Does this mean they have fell out with leeds and the rhinos wont be sending their U18's for the annual friendly lol. When will the jampots ever learn

#26 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Haven have missed out on top target stuart fielden. Deludedfans.com had him earmarked to be in a haven shirt next season but It appears they have just missed out to huddersfield giants who have landed the player. It must have been difficult for the player to turn such a massive club down. Lol

#27 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Good point Keith . You can play five contracted SL players . If you're playing 5 Saints or Wigan players at our level that's a massive loophole in terms of the cap . There not yours your not paying them ! I've said along this whole thing is massively affecting this league . Only when we kick off will we see just how much and who the winners and losers are . But me thinks there's no going back now .

#28 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

The thing being a team could get relegated because their BOD try to do things right, and another club could stay up because they agreed to be a super league feeder club

#29 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Aye there's a lot of issues and ramifications from all this , many of which haven't been thought out or haven't surfaced yet .

#30 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

the problem is some clubs jumped on board this idea before the championship clubs had even discussed this, it should have been discussed and guidelines agreed between the championship clubs before any link ups were formed

#31 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

the problem is some clubs jumped on board this idea before the championship clubs had even discussed this, it should have been discussed and guidelines agreed between the championship clubs before any link ups were formed

link ups with cumbrian clubs wont work anyway because we're too far from the beaten track.

#32 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Let's be honest if they get a good player or 2 then that's great for them, but I can only see them getting what rochdale can't accommodate, and that's no knock on haven as it's just a simple geography observation. It would be exactly the same as ourselves. I hope we use there link up as leverage to sign the local lads as there always going to play 2nd fiddle to the saints lads
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#33 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Let's be honest if they get a good player or 2 then that's great for them, but I can only see them getting what rochdale can't accommodate, and that's no knock on haven as it's just a simple geography observation. It would be exactly the same as ourselves. I hope we use there link up as leverage to sign the local lads as there always going to play 2nd fiddle to the saints lads

agreed wonky lets go for the locals. I honestly dont think this link up is a good idea at all, and thats not just coz haven have done it.

#34 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

haven could also use the link up to sign local talent,sign for haven play first team and or training with saints,play saints reserves or even move on it could work both ways
also what makes you think town are not looking at linking up with an SL club

Edited by haven4ever, 12 October 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#35 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

That's right , haven will no doubt try to entice locals with the Saints carrot. Given location coupled with the strength and quality of the amateur scene here it's a nobrainer they should be our base to build round

Edited by DavidM, 12 October 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#36 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

haven could also use the link up to sign local talent,sign for haven play first team and or training with saints,play saints reserves or even move on it could work both ways

town may well be looking to do it. What I'm saying is IMO I'm not sure its a good idea. Saints players will not travel up here three times a week to play second fiddle to locals H4E.

#37 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

I don't think that would necessarily work haven4ever, as it happens already with young lads being picked up by SL clubs at the age of 14 or 15. Look how many yongsters are with SL clubs that have not been anywhere near either of our clubs. For others there is also the problem of travelling and leaving good jobs to go to a SL club with any commitment.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#38 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

You could have 5 players coming up on a Friday , or after they discover they're not in the match day squad . Hard to gel a cohesive integrated team .

#39 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

I asked the RFL how this system worked with the Championship salary cap level and I got a reply back saying that SL players will each be given a Championship salary cap value that has to be worked in to existing salary cap levels for that league!!!!!

#40 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

town may well be looking to do it. What I'm saying is IMO I'm not sure its a good idea. Saints players will not travel up here three times a week to play second fiddle to locals H4E.

But how is the travelling any different to what out of town players for the 3 cumbrian clubs done to date? Barrow have signed 5-6 youngesters from Saints, Leeds, Warrington and Wigan recently wo are going to be travelling 2-3 times a week.
Anyway, think Haven will get the more experienced Saints players being in the CC, whereas Rochdale will get the developing players in the CC1

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"