October 20th

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

On Saturday October 20th, the Rugby League Collectors' Federation are holding a programme fair and auction at the South Leeds Stadium, Hunslet. The fair starts around 10 and the auction at 12.30. On show to look at and/or buy will be a large collection of programmes, books, magazines, novels, badges, photographs, DVDs, items of clothing and dinner menu cards.

Among the 224 items in the auction are included the programmes for the following games:

1911 Batley v Wigan (Challenge Cup Semi-Final played at Fartown)l
1926 England v New Zealand (played at the Boulevard)
1940 Hunslet v Bramley
1942 Halifax v Bradford
1946 Wakefield v Wigan (Challenge Cup Final played at Wembley)
1946 Bramley v Huddersfield
1946 Leeds v Broughton Rangers
1946 Oldham v Broughton Rangers
1947 Belle Vue Rangers v Dewsbury
1947 Belle Vue Rangers v York
1947 Bradford v Warrington (Challenge Cup Semi-Final played at Swinton)
1949 Halifax v Huddersfield (Challenge Cup Semi-Final played at Odsal)
1949 Batley v Hunslet
1949 Leeds v Hunslet
1950 Huddersfield v St Helens (played at Abertillery)
1950 Leeds v Wigan
1950 Huddersfield v Italy
1950 St Helens v Carcassonne
1952 Keighley v Australia
1955 Halifax v Hull (Yorkshire Cup Final played at Headingley)
1956 Hunslet v Wakefield (Yorkshire Cup Final played at Headingley)

plus a framed railway poster advertising an excursion from Bradford to York to the York v Idle Yorkshire Cup tie in 1896.

All Rugby League fans are welcome to attend what is always a very sociable event.
And most importantly admission is free!

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,360 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

York v Idle?
I live there and have never heard of any Rugby team at all.

#3 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yorkshire Second Competition West table at the end of the 1900 1901 season

Heckmondwike
Keighley
Shipley
Sowerby Bridge
Dewsbury
Hebden Bridge
Otley
IDLE
Todmorden
Bingley
Windhill

This information I found in the book "Cougars Going Up" The Keighley Cougars Rugby League 2003 Yearbook.,

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#4 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

geoff will you been selling any LLP publications there
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#5 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

York v Idle?

That's because Idle stopped playing rugby and became the legendary Idle Working Men's Club. ;) :D

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,360 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

That's because Idle stopped playing rugby and became the legendary Idle Working Men's Club. ;) :D

Is that true?

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,360 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Yorkshire Second Competition West table at the end of the 1900 1901 season

Heckmondwike
Keighley
Shipley
Sowerby Bridge
Dewsbury
Hebden Bridge
Otley
IDLE
Todmorden
Bingley
Windhill

This information I found in the book "Cougars Going Up" The Keighley Cougars Rugby League 2003 Yearbook.,

Thanks for that, never knew that.

#8 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

Is that true?

Don't think so. It was just an idle comment. :)

#9 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

To Southstand Loiner and others, I will have a range of LLP books on sale at the fair. Our latest three books are "Come On Northern. The Fall and Rise of Bradford Northern RLFC 1954 to 1965" written by Trevor Delaney. "A Lad From Donkey Common. A Rugby League Life", the auto biography of Austin Rhodes and "Rugby's Greatest Mystery. Who really was F.S. Jackson" by Tom Mather.
If anyone sends me a P.M. I can arrange to bring others as well

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,360 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Don't think so. It was just an idle comment. :)

It could make sense though. The cricket team are quite handy and very well established and football teams were generally works/church/pub teams. But I can't think where they may have been based. Idle WMC could have been involved.

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

York v Idle?

Idle used to be a good side in the Yorkshire Sunday League years ago, their pitch had a dry stone wall around it a bit like Underbanks but level
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#12 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

It could make sense though. The cricket team are quite handy and very well established and football teams were generally works/church/pub teams. But I can't think where they may have been based. Idle WMC could have been involved.

Their secretary was R Spencer, Lycroft, Poplars Farm, Bradford

West Yorks Sunday 2nd Div 1987/88

Houghton Greyhound
Idle
Thorne Colliery (Moorends)
Wrenthorpe
Dodworth
Sandal Warriors
Goldthorpe
Broadsworth
Dewsbury Celtic `A`
Bentley Good Companions

Edited by Marauder, 12 October 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,360 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

Their secretary was R Spencer, Lycroft, Poplars Farm, Bradford

Cheers mate. I haven't lived in Idle all my life but you tend to hear of various teams playing locally. I've been doing a bit of research on Idle (for my house reasons) and have never come across a team mentioned anywhere. Thinking about it I reckon the team you mention might have played on/near another cricket team.

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

Cheers mate. I haven't lived in Idle all my life but you tend to hear of various teams playing locally. I've been doing a bit of research on Idle (for my house reasons) and have never come across a team mentioned anywhere. Thinking about it I reckon the team you mention might have played on/near another cricket team.

I'm sure their team had a few West Yorkshire firemen playing for them.

#15 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

Oddfellows Idle were operating not too long ago, without checking my records, I think, in the Pennine league.

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

York v Idle?

York or Idle ? :lol:

To be fair, it's dated 1896. How old are you ? :blink:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#17 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

When you see things like that old league table, it makes you realise how big a footprint RL used to have in the North and how much we have regressed since those days The names that jumped out to me were Bingley, Shipley and Otley. They have all been reclaimed by RU now.

I remember another article I read lisitng amateur teams in Keighley in the distant past and there were about 15 of them. Now we are lucky if we have two in the actual town itself.

We knock BARLA but I reckon they breathed life into a corpse when they were founded and probably saved the game, including the pro game, since they still get the majority of their players from amateur clubs.

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,360 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

York or Idle ? :lol:

To be fair, it's dated 1896. How old are you ? :blink:

There have been quite a few history books about Idle but I've never heard any rugby teams mentioned in any of them. Undercliffe were, and maybe still are, based at the cricket club and that was as close as it got from what I read.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,360 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

When you see things like that old league table, it makes you realise how big a footprint RL used to have in the North and how much we have regressed since those days

Except when you say 'the north', sadly the reality is West Yorks and some of Lancashire.

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

When you see things like that old league table, it makes you realise how big a footprint RL used to have in the North and how much we have regressed since those days The names that jumped out to me were Bingley, Shipley and Otley. They have all been reclaimed by RU now.

I remember another article I read lisitng amateur teams in Keighley in the distant past and there were about 15 of them. Now we are lucky if we have two in the actual town itself.

We knock BARLA but I reckon they breathed life into a corpse when they were founded and probably saved the game, including the pro game, since they still get the majority of their players from amateur clubs.

True, in the Doncaster and District Cup we used to have up to 26 teams entered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users