Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

For those interested in the history of Rugby League

October 20th

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Except when you say 'the north', sadly the reality is West Yorks and some of Lancashire.

Well, not quite. We have always had a prescence in East Yokshire, Hull obviously but also Beverley. In Lancashire, we had Lancaster, Morecambe, even Kendal ( If thats in Lancashire ) Around Manchester we had Stockport, Tyldsley, Ratcliffe, Broughton.

In Cheshire, Runcorn were a power at one time.

I must say that the lack of any premier league soccer club is Yorkshire and the demise of lower league soccer in Halifax and Bradford Park Avenue are pleasing developments. Lancashire is another story. Despite the success of Wigan, Saints and Warrington, the game faces huge competiton from soccer in the county palatine.

#22 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

True, in the Doncaster and District Cup we used to have up to 26 teams entered.

Marauder. I used to live in Thorne and Moorends and would go the back way through Stainforth to Bentley to watch the Dons at Tattersfield, but I digress. Despite the many false starts in Doncaster for RL,I have always thought the town had the potential to be a very successful area in RL. It seems to have all the ingredients, a decent sized population, a proximity to the Yorkshire coalfield hotbeds of the game and. as you say, in the past, a decent sized amateur base. There is no need for a cold sell scenario as there is on other expnsion areas. The awareness of the game is there.

When they got promoted to the old first division, I thought the game would take off and they started promisingly. They then went bankrupt, but, if they had had the financing that many of the SL teams of today attract, I am sure they would be a successful SL franchise as we speak.

The current success, if built on in CC, might finally launch this club onto a successful future. I am certain the potential is there. By the way, good luck to your Moorends team in the future. When I was there the only rugby was at the RU team.

#23 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Programme auction too late to enter my 1938 Challenge Cup Final & 1954 Championship Final, I wonder how much they would be worth?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#24 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Bleep, you might be too late for this auction at Hunslet but there is a fair chance that the next one will be at the beginning of the new year in Bradford.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#25 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

There have been quite a few history books about Idle but I've never heard any rugby teams mentioned in any of them. Undercliffe were, and maybe still are, based at the cricket club and that was as close as it got from what I read.

I live in Idle too - small world - and have not heard of on either, although I will try and find out. we currently have two teams in the area, both in the Pennine League:
  • Undercliffe Wild Boars (currently top of div 4) they change at Idle CC and play at Rawdon Meadows, although I think it is the pitch just next to the Stansfield on the opposite side of the road.
  • Victoria Rangers (bottom of div 4) and they play at the Eccleshil S&S club on Harrogate Road :)

Edited by stewpot01, 14 October 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Nice one stewpot. Let me know if you discover anything.

Vic Rangers once played Widnes in the Challenge Cup!

#27 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Nice one stewpot. Let me know if you discover anything.

Vic Rangers once played Widnes in the Challenge Cup!

Fascinating. I find it frustrating that I cannot find a history of the Challenge cup. Results even for the competition proper seem unobtainable - other than the finals, and even then details of many of those games are missing.
The best source I have had in the past were old CC SF programmes and they would include the qualifying rounds which in years gone by had the odd pub team making it all the way to round 1. I seem to recall Kippax White Swan playing Leigh in the 1st round during the 70s.

Edited by stewpot01, 14 October 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#28 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Just a reminder about this event tomorrow for those who often forget things. Also to say that I have been told that a queue has already formed outside the building showing just how keen some fans can be about the history of Rugby League!

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#29 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Fascinating. I find it frustrating that I cannot find a history of the Challenge cup. Results even for the competition proper seem unobtainable - other than the finals, and even then details of many of those games are missing.
The best source I have had in the past were old CC SF programmes and they would include the qualifying rounds which in years gone by had the odd pub team making it all the way to round 1. I seem to recall Kippax White Swan playing Leigh in the 1st round during the 70s.

Graham Morris published a book called "Destination Wembley" in 2009, which has details of all the Challenge Cup finals up to that point. I don't have a copy of it, but it may have details of earlier rounds.

He has also produced a similar book on the Championship/Grand Finals. I have a copy of that, and it is excellent.

That's me.  I'm done.

#30 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Graham Morris published a book called "Destination Wembley" in 2009, which has details of all the Challenge Cup finals up to that point. I don't have a copy of it, but it may have details of earlier rounds.

He has also produced a similar book on the Championship/Grand Finals. I have a copy of that, and it is excellent.

Many thanks Steve. I will keep an eye out for it.

#31 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

a long shot but does anyone have any information about a team that played in the leeds & district league in the 1920s and 30s they were called LEEDS UNIVERSITY YOUNG MENS INSTITUTE and were quite a good team for a few years .
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

even Kendal ( If thats in Lancashire )

Kendal is the old county town for Westmorland, it is in the modern county of Cumbria.