RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Stuart Fielden to .........

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 thehullram

thehullram
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

Huddersfield Giants on a 2 year contract. Discuss.....

#2 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

I dreamt I met him last night. Nice bloke
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#3 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hudds desperately need props. One of the reasons for the wobbly form last season was the lack of beef in the forwards and getting bullied by opposition props.

Let's hope the time off means his body is a bit less battered than is normally the case with a 33 year old prop. :unsure:

He's not the first of his family to play for Fartown. His brother Jamie played in the claret and gold for a while.

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,502 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

TBH I'd have been happy with him at Warrington - he's a gamble with the injuries he's had, but I'm sure any deal could reflect that.

Once people stopped expecting Fielden to be the big leader of the pack at Wigan, many came to appreciate the work he did, which was usually of a very high standard. He is not the same player he was years ago where he would take on all comers, similar to Burgess nowadays, but he has matured and plays more within himself, not unlike Morley who has prolonged his career by calming down his style.

Be interesting to see how this goes, good luck to him on the injury front.

#5 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

A good buy for Huddersfield that. I personally thought that he would go back to Bradford as a sort of talismanic player.

#6 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think it's good for both sides - good luck to him. I agree that the Bulls would have been a good place for him. Maybe it's best not to go back.

#7 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

On a practical note, Hudds is not too far from where Stuart Fielden lives.

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

The very best of luck to him. Except when he's playing us, naturally. ;)

He must have been fretting through the long injury layoff, and will be anxious to prove himself once again.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

His last game for Wigan showed he may well still have it.

Certainly he had the combatative spirit of his old self, the long layoff may well have increased his shelf life and refired his passion

If nothing else he has showed himself to be a model sportsman in recent years.

Either way, its the prop we desperately missed last season, and maybe another one to come

#10 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

There was a lot of Bile and other Tosh thrown his way when he left the Bulls, most Fans were not happy and a large minority made their feelings known and they weren't pleasant to read! Though he did come and help with the Pledge earlier in the Season, it was more his feeling for the Club than the Fans, so while disappointed we couldn't get him back I would be surprised if that wasn't a factor in him going to the Giants! Good Luck to him and I hope he does well after the last 2 lean years.
If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Best of luck to the guy. DId a job for us certainly. Hope his luck improves.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#12 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Thank god he didnt sign for Halifax his hometown team! Sadly always injured and never been the same since he got smashed by Willy Mason. I am not sure a 2 year deal is a good one. Maybe pay as you play for a year with an option of a better deal for the 2nd year. He has lost the fear and respect many had for him and would have thought Huddersfield could have got somebody better and younger with Davy and his dosh.

#13 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

Good signing, has gone from being unable to achieve extremely high expectations to the point of being underrated if he can stay fit. Will provide solid defensive work and decent go forward. He isn't the phenom of 2005, but remains an above average SL prop in my view. The Giants haven't had enough experienced workhorses in the front of the pack, so he's a good fit.

Edited by giwildgo, 12 October 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#14 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Such as?

Fielden has had horrendous luck with injuries in the last 2 years, and injuries that were just sheer dumb luck.

If he can stay injury free he can still has the potential to be an international prop.

Is it a gamble to sign him? Yes. But perhaps a calculated one

And maybe the giants are regretting not originally offering Brett Hodgson 2 yrs just before he left for Warrington...

#15 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Good luck to the lad hope his injuries are behind him and he can enjoy a good end to what has been a superb career.

On Friday 28th March I'm taking part in the Wigan Streetsleep, raising money for The Brick charity who try to ensure nobody in Wigan finding themselves homeless spends a 2nd night on the streets and providing help and support via a foodbank.  Every penny counts so if you can spare anything at all its much appreciated - this link will take you to my sponsorship page thanks.

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,257 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Best of luck Stuart.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#17 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Best of luck to the lad ,but surely it must be a pay as you play deal,as he has no form to go off in recent years because of injuries.

#18 FlattenedbyWard

FlattenedbyWard
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

Good luck to Stuart Fielden- nice guy and great player.

He's had a horror run of injuries which were a bit freakish following a period of below par form which was kicked off undoubtedly down to the loss of Mother back in 2006. And in that time there's been plenty of the fans of the game bagging him as past it.

I for one hope, as other have mentioned, that the virtual 2 years off have re-lit his hunger and allowed his body to repair so he can have a good 3 yrs of his career and finish back on top of his game.

In the hands of his old team mate Paul Anderson he'll be in a good place and playing for a bloke he'll run through brick walls for.

Here's hoping we can we can say with a smile next season "That's the Stuart Fielden of old."

#19 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

Some incredible comments on this thread.

Absolute world class prop. Isn't the player of 2005, cos it ain't 2005. Will do a first class job for the Giants though both on and off the field. The Bulls influence just gets stronger and stronger at Huddersfield.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#20 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Some incredible comments on this thread.

Absolute world class prop. Isn't the player of 2005, cos it ain't 2005. Will do a first class job for the Giants though both on and off the field. The Bulls influence just gets stronger and stronger at Huddersfield.

Weres the incredible comments?
He was a world class prop back in 2005,no doubting that,but apart from 1 season at wigan in 2010 he's been at best average

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users