Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sinfield to lead England

England RL media release

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

England Rugby League are delighted to announce that Kevin Sinfield will succeed Jamie Peacock as the national team’s new captain.

Sinfield, who captained Leeds Rhinos to their sixth Super League crown last Saturday defeating Warrington Wolves at Old Trafford, said captaining his country would be the proudest moment of his career.

“I am immensely honoured to captain England Rugby League. Representing your country is always special, but to captain England will be the proudest moment of my career to date,” said Sinfield. “There could have been a number of candidates for the job, when you look at the number of leaders we have in the squad, but Steve McNamara has asked me take up the role and I will do it to the best of my ability.

“When you look at the talent we have in the squad, we are in great shape. We have a big 12 months ahead with the Rugby League World Cup at the end of it and we have to give ourselves every chance of creating history. Steve McNamara is leaving nothing to chance and our preparation continues to be planned in fine detail and I will relish being part of that process.”

Sinfield’s appointment was announced to the England senior squad during their first night on African soil as they start a 10-day high-altitude training camp in Potchefstroom ahead of this year’s Autumn International Series against France and Wales and England coach McNamara believes he has the ultimate leader to take England into 2013.

“Kevin (Sinfield) is an outstanding leader and was my number one choice when selecting a successor to Jamie Peacock,” added McNamara. “The standards he sets both on and off the field are exemplary. He commands the ultimate respect from his fellow professionals and will take this group of players forward in what promises to be a demanding yet rewarding year for England Rugby League.”

England’s opening match in the Autumn International Series will see them face Wales at the Glyndwr University Racecourse Ground in Wrexham on Saturday October 27 (2.30pm).

Their first ‘home’ fixture takes place a week later, Saturday November 3, at MS3 Craven Park in Hull when England host France in a match which also kicks off at 2.30pm.

The Autumn International Series concludes with the final at Salford City Stadium on Sunday November 11 (5.00pm).

Tickets for the 2012 Autumn International Series cost just £12 for adults and £6 concessions and can be purchased by calling the RFL Ticket Office on 0844 856 1113 or by visiting www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk
-Ends-

Danny Reuben
England RL Media Manager

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

This'll annoy some on here

#3 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

About time.

#4 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Best Man for the job, full stop. He will make a great Captain and with a year to prepare perhaps we can give those Aussies a fright if not a shock!
Well done Kev!
Marshall
Spain

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Excellent. As I said in the other thread, he either needs to be captain or out of the squad. Happy to see they went with the former
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

It's certainly an interesting choice. Loose forward (assuming that is where he will play) is one of the positions we have some good depth and this selection nails him in to the team.

He's certainly earned his chance, and as ever I'll cheer anyone who represents our national team.

#7 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Too many questions over his qualitites at international level to be captain. Needs to be a guaranteed top level performer like Ellis.

#8 brooza

brooza
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

Too many questions over his qualitites at international level to be captain. Needs to be a guaranteed top level performer like Ellis.

Too many questions over any England player at international level.
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#9 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Ellis is on the way down though and has been very quiet in the last couple of years at Test level.

Sinfield may well be a stopgap for this year as many of the leading candidates have pulled out of this years Internationals or are suspended.

#10 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

Actually Ellis over the last few years hasn't played that well for England, he has also never captained a side and I say this as a big Gareth Ellis fan.

It seems to be an urban myth that Sinfield hasn't performed for England/GB. He has played well especially the last two tournaments he's played in.

This aside he is an outstanding captain and leader and this is what we need.

#11 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Totally deserved.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#12 langer7

langer7
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Actually Ellis over the last few years hasn't played that well for England, he has also never captained a side and I say this as a big Gareth Ellis fan.

It seems to be an urban myth that Sinfield hasn't performed for England/GB. He has played well especially the last two tournaments he's played in.

This aside he is an outstanding captain and leader and this is what we need.

I can remember some horror moments in an England shirt such as giving away a needless holding down penalty at Elland Road which swung momentum to the Aussies a couple of years ago. The main disappointment for me has been his kicking game, which has been his major strength at club level but has been nowhere near as good in internationals.

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

The main disappointment for me has been his kicking game, which has been his major strength at club level but has been nowhere near as good in internationals.

This can be said of most players in our international setup.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#14 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

He will be 33 years old by the time the WC is held.
He will have to be at Lock or Hooker.
He would be targeted if he was in the Halves.

#15 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Totally deserved. Really hope he does well and goes out of the game on a high.
There has been no one more dedicated to our game in the SL era.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#16 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

I can remember some horror moments in an England shirt such as giving away a needless holding down penalty at Elland Road which swung momentum to the Aussies a couple of years ago. The main disappointment for me has been his kicking game, which has been his major strength at club level but has been nowhere near as good in internationals.

How many English players haven't had horror moments against Australia?

Sinfield has won MOM on a few occasions for England, and hasn't played half as bad as is made out. He also has never been asked to run the show, which he has now, you may see a marked improvement on all aspects of his game.

#17 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

If he can take his ability as Leeds captain to lift an underdog team when it matters i will worship him like a god

If not i will say "I told you so"

#18 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

I'm guessing this means he definitely starts. He can't play at 6 he's too slow, 13 we're a man short in the pack. So he has to play at 9 and roby comes off the bench which means Burrow won't get selected unless he plays at 7.

I wouldn't of selected him personally, mainly due to his age and ability as a player. But if McNamara wants to play him then he's got to be captain.

#19 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

"Kevin (Sinfield) is an outstanding leader and was my number one choice", so now that fullback is sorted out, where is Tomkins going to play? :D
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#20 brooza

brooza
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

"Kevin (Sinfield) is an outstanding leader and was my number one choice", so now that fullback is sorted out, where is Tomkins going to play? :D

Now you're just being silly. Sinfield won't be fullback, Hardaker will!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users