TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Sinfield to lead England

England RL media release

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#21 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

For this season's Internationals his appointment is an obvious choice and a good one.
As for captain the the World Cup and therefore automatic selection I don't know.
He's played well at 9 for England but Roby can do 80 mins there and he isn't as good as the Saints hooker.
Sinfield is too slow for 6 and selecting him ahead of Widdop would be plain daft.
13 is his only place and he can't raise his game v the Aussie and Kiwi packs to trouble them.
Can't argue for this year, next though is a different matter.

#22 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Here's my team - with a few surprises guaranteed to shock the Aussies next year:

1. Bailey
2. Hardaker
3. Mossop
4. Chase
5. Sinfield
6. Offiah
7. Westwood
8. Jones-Bishop
9. Tomkins
10. Ellis
11. Hall
12. Brough
13. Widdop

#23 montgorhino

montgorhino
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

How many English players haven't had horror moments against Australia?

Sinfield has won MOM on a few occasions for England, and hasn't played half as bad as is made out. He also has never been asked to run the show, which he has now, you may see a marked improvement on all aspects of his game.

Here Here....I seems to relish responsibility

#24 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Luke Robinson got player of the tour when he was picked.

Never been looked at since. Utterly bonkers .

#25 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Luke Robinson got player of the tour when he was picked.

Never been looked at since. Utterly bonkers .

Didn't he play in the Exiles match at Headingley last year? Agree he should be in the squad and pushing for a start.

#26 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

For all of 5 minutes I think

#27 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

Yeah that was weird re Robinson - he looked like he could actually cause some damage. Instantly dropped.

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,877 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Yeah that was weird re Robinson - he looked like he could actually cause some damage. Instantly dropped.

And it's not as if his form significantly changed during that period, either. In his limited chances to play for his country, he looked utterly unfazed by the opposition and created opportunities for the team.

Edited by Futtocks, 12 October 2012 - 03:40 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Aware im probably opening up the can of worms again, but thought it worth mentioning that Sinfield has not played 13 for more than two years. So can only see him playing at 6 for England too.

#30 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Just add it to the mind boggling selection choices of the Emgland coach.

Oh well.

Maybe he has a grand scheme to make sure that the Aussies can't plan for a game against us and come the WC final he'll play a blinder and put out the most gifted, balanced team ever to wear the Genoese Cross?

Edited by Ant, 12 October 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#31 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Too Old, Too slow and sadly never done much on the International stage. Personally I think the likes of Sinfield, Morley etc have had their day and should not be even picked let alone be captain. Mcnamara should have been building a younbg team ready for 2013. Instead he has picked the same old faces who do very little even though they may star in SL. Yet one of the best young guns in the NRL in Widdop he leaves on the bench and gives him 5 minutes! The Aussies and Kiwis must be fearing the England team for the WC and its coaching

#32 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Indeed

Consistently he has left our most dangerous players off the pitch while reverting to type and picking the same old tried and failed faces

Sinfield at 9 might be a good choice, better than Roby (yes IMO, Roby is great for the Saints style, its not a GB style) but he needs a foil - and means we need a 3rd prop acting from the base of the scrum

#33 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

I can see him being England coach one day (Really, I reckon he'd make a cracking coach), but he's failed to perform on the international stage for some time now and we should give the young lads a chance to develop into winning squad. I think the old guard are holding the team back if I'm honest, not because they're not good players, but because they've had their time to prove themselves and didn't make it. By putting them in the squad over and over again what's going to change? Unless Sinfield is in the best form of his life he shouldn't be playing, same for Morley or Peacock or anyone else of their ilk. I know having a squad with hardly any experience is also not ideal, but having one with no winning experience can't be that much of a help can it?

As he will be playing though, he'd definitely be my pick for captain.

#34 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

If Sinfield starts at 6 ahead of Widdop then we should all give up.

#35 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

If Sinfield starts at 6 ahead of Widdop then we should all give up.

Genuine questions.

In this day and age, is there really that much difference between 6 and 7? And could Sinfield and Widdop not both play in the halves at the same time?

Edited by foozler, 12 October 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#36 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Whatever the pluses and minuses of him getting the captaincy, Sinfield does have a knack of picking up trophies at Old Trafford come Autumn time so here's hoping/ praying he keep up the habit next November.

#37 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Here's my team - with a few surprises guaranteed to shock the Aussies next year:

1. Bailey
2. Hardaker
3. Mossop
4. Chase
5. Sinfield
6. Offiah
7. Westwood
8. Jones-Bishop
9. Tomkins
10. Ellis
11. Hall
12. Brough
13. Widdop

I also think that Westwood should play at 7. It's a position that suits his strengths well.

;-)

#38 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Also agree with Robinson, he caused a lot of problems when he played. As did crabtree.

#39 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

I also think that Westwood should play at 7. It's a position that suits his strengths well.

;-)

Don't because Mcnamara might be reading this forum. Steve play ben at second row he isn't suited to scrum half as he's played second row for Warrington for a good few years and done a very good job.

#40 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Totally deserved.

I agree - he deserves his chance to translate club success to international level.

Edited by giwildgo, 12 October 2012 - 05:12 PM.