Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League World Magazine

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - ISSUE 379 (NOV 2012)
The new issue is now in shops and also available online for PC/Mac, iPads and all manner of other smart gizmos.
Get it online here / Order a print copy here

Posted Image

It’s not every day you get to meet an Olympic champion, and we were lucky enough to meet two at once. The Brownlee brothers, Alistair and Jonny, fresh from their London 2012 success talk to Jamie Jones-Buchanan about their love of the Rhinos and Rugby League. With fellow Olympic hero and Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins presenting this year’s Man of Steel award to Sam Tomkins, and Wayne Rooney tweeting about the Grand Final to his five million plus followers, the more these high profile admirers sing the praises of Rugby League, perhaps the more attention our sport will begin to receive from an often indifferent media?

No amount of praise seems to have much of an impact on the size of our play-off crowds though, which show an alarming drop off just as the season reaches its boiling point. We take a look at this frustrating phenomenon.

The Old Trafford showpiece continues to pack ‘em in, however, and Warrington Wolves and Leeds Rhinos served up a classic encounter in front of over 70,000 fans. Dave Hadfield reports from the Theatre of Dreams, Jon Wells offers his analysis of how the game was won, and Robbie Hunter-Paul debates the appeal of winning a Grand Final over finishing top of the league.

Doncaster can celebrate both these achievements in Championship One. We take a look back at their history of struggle and how they turned it into a moment of glory.

With the Super League season now done and dusted, we begin our club-by-club review of 2012 with those who didn’t quite make it to the play-offs. The people who know the reasons for that tell us why.

Also, we catch up for a chat with Michael Korkidas who has been a fixture of the British game for almost a decade but is calling time on his playing career to head down under for a new life as a butcher, and Wolves star Tyrone McCarthy, one of the most recognisable faces in the game because half of it is covered by his giant beard, answers a quickfire round of questions.

As England, Wales and France gear up for their Autumn International series, we take a look at how the rest of Europe’s Rugby League playing nations will be keeping themselves occupied in what is another packed issue.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Got mine the other day (in good time) and it's a good issue. Plenty there of interest, though Im not really into triathlon.

The inevitable whinges:

Thought there might have been more on this Euro tournament thingy that England are in. Probably next month?

A good article exploring why the playoff crowds are cr ap until the final was spoiled by some mistakes in the stats which meant they didn't make sense.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#3 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

received my copy yesterday !

the quickest delivery yet !

must be a record - well done & thanks

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

I must admit mine is still in the cellophane, I'll finally be able to sit down and stop everything to have a read tomorrow.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thought there might have been more on this Euro tournament thingy that England are in. Probably next month?

Yep. To be honest, there was just too much else to fit in with all the domestic competitions coming to an end all at once, and hardly any available info to hang an article on regarding the Autumn Internationals by the time we went to press.

A good article exploring why the playoff crowds are cr ap until the final was spoiled by some mistakes in the stats which meant they didn't make sense.

Yes, that's hugely frustrating. The perils of print! Once it's done you can't change it. I'll put the whole thing online with the correct formatting at some point. Watch this space.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#6 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

received my copy yesterday !

the quickest delivery yet !

must be a record - well done & thanks

Phew, that's a welcome relief! We gave the pigeon extra feed this month! :D

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I must admit mine is still in the cellophane, I'll finally be able to sit down and stop everything to have a read tomorrow.

It's okay, it's safe to approach. It isn't all about Leeds. ;)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#8 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Shame to see Jon Wells go - enjoyed his articles in RLW the past few years, one of the better players/ex-players writing about the sport.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#9 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Oh and the biggest laugh this month came from Robbie's story of sellotaping his 1997 SL medal to his finger after seeing Henry's Grand Final ring. :lol: All round good issue.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#10 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

I genuinely had no idea that the Brownlee Brothers were big RL fans - I always assumed that they either weren't interested. I've interviewed them quite a few times over the years but I never thought to ask if they were interested in League.Top lads.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#11 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

We have a new World Champion on our cover!
http://www.bbc.co.uk...athlon/19971903

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#12 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Yes, that's hugely frustrating. The perils of print! Once it's done you can't change it. I'll put the whole thing online with the correct formatting at some point. Watch this space.

As promised! The play-off crowds article as it should have appeared in issue 379
http://www.rugbyleag...sing-in-action/

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,368 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Gracias

Illuminating stats.