RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Planning Permission for Agecroft

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

JK had stated that they would submit it the Wedsnesday after the meeting, anyone know if this has been done?
"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

I think he said it was be about 3 weeks after a meeting he had the Wednesday after the fans meeting.

Posted Image

#3 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Paul you are quite right he did say hopefully within three weeks or so.

#4 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Just checking the calendar and it was 4 weeks ago tomorrow the meeting was held, John advised planning would be submitted within 3 weeks. Wonder if this as been submitted?

Edited by greengrass, 24 October 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#5 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I got this e-mail update from the club today:

First of all, may I thank those who attended the meeting at the Swinton British Legion; we believe that the update we gave was fairly complete and as comprehensive as we could give at the time.

With regard to the Dual registered partnership with Warrington Wolves the RFL Board has decided, as we expected, to restrict the level to five players per game. The finer details between the clubs will be negotiated and developed over the next couple of months and will result in a total co-operation between the two of us. In answer to the doubters on the night the ‘partnership’ will be a different arrangement to that we tried with Saints some three or four years ago, largely due to the involvement of the RFL and every Super league Club. This is no longer a pioneering adventure.

If you as an individual have any queries on how this might work, please contact the Club and we will do our best to answer them.

The stadium at Agecroft is now subject to at least two meetings per week and as far as we are concerned there is every chance that it will be built – sooner rather than later. We will announce the progress of this venture at each stage and endeavor to keep everyone well informed as we move on.

As we are now on the road to succeeding on this exciting project, everyone should realise that the Club needs to maintain the ongoing costs in order to sustain the membership of the Championship and that at a competitive level. We are also on the long road of ensuring that the Stadium can be built within the confines of the funding that has been arranged. With this in mind we would ask you to contact us with any help that you think that you may be able to offer. This request is not necessarily a demand on your pockets as there are various ways to help us to raise money with your time as opposed to your purse.

(i.e. selling not always buying).

There will be several packages for the new facility but it is important to help us develop a steady and robust income for the running of the Club in the meantime. Please contact us and see how you can help NOW.

Regards

John Kidd

Posted Image

#6 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

thanks Lionsfanusa for the above email, it looks really promising now with the ground will keep my fingers crossed. Getting the go ahead would be the best christmas ever

#7 Dano

Dano
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

I've heard that folly selling there ground and are joining us at agecroft to help with the funding

#8 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

I was trying to remember the song they used to play as the Lions took the field in the 60s. Blue Monkey or Steve Wild, why do I think it was a Dion number?

Anyway, I can't think of a better song for the opening of the new stadium than "The boys are back in town" by Thin Lizzy!
Posted Image

#9 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Agreed Geoff, also that title should be used as the marketing campaign before that first match.

Posted Image

#10 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

yeah good idea paul, I also think the work starts now from a marketing point of view. With the experience I have in sales and marketing I am going to think of some idea's and pass them onto the club and see if of any interest.

When the ground comes back to Swinton JK is right we need to all get involved in any way we can no matter how small and lets get moving in the right direction and make it a close nit club

Edited by greengrass, 25 October 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#11 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

I was trying to remember the song they used to play as the Lions took the field in the 60s. Blue Monkey or Steve Wild, why do I think it was a Dion number?

Anyway, I can't think of a better song for the opening of the new stadium than "The boys are back in town" by Thin Lizzy!

Casting my mind way back to those heady days 50 years ago I think it was "Glory, glory alleluia, glory, glory alleluia, glory, glory alleluia and the Lions go marching on" which was popularised by Tottenham Hotspur fans in the early '60s when they won the double in season '60-'61 - "and the Spurs go marching on".

#12 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

I think he said it was be about 3 weeks after a meeting he had the Wednesday after the fans meeting.

It's November tomorrow. Should be hearing something (good?) soon don't you think?

#13 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Probably, but in my defence, I'm not putting in the application and have nothing to do with it! ;) :D

Posted Image

#14 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

It's November tomorrow. Should be hearing something (good?) soon don't you think?

Doubt it. If an application for Planning Permission were truly imminent, the "Update" would surely have said something more specific. It reads to me as though there are still significant obstacles needing to be addressed.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#15 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Doubt it. If an application for Planning Permission were truly imminent, the "Update" would surely have said something more specific. It reads to me as though there are still significant obstacles needing to be addressed.

At the meeting in September at Swinton Legion I think it was stated that most, if not all, obstacles has been successfully overcome. One person in the audience, who apparently knew intimately exactly how the 'machinery' of planning permission applications are processed at the town hall, said, more or less, that the 'thumbs up' would follow round about now as we speak.
Does anyone else remember the man (with the inside knowledge) I'm referring to?

#16 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

yeah I think he said he worked for the council and his job was something to do with checking the history of the site, I think. Your right Blue Monkey he was adament that the ground would be put through

#17 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

I think the idea was that the building of the ground would be approved if planning permission was put through. Getting the funding and stadium management in place is a completely different issue.

#18 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

I remember him,think he lives on Fernlea Cres

#19 benbones

benbones
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

Standing on the terraces all those years ago, I am sure the song was "The Lion sleeps tonight (Wimoweh) by " The Tokens" . Listen to it on You Tube and see if it jogs your memory.

#20 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Standing on the terraces all those years ago, I am sure the song was "The Lion sleeps tonight (Wimoweh) by " The Tokens" . Listen to it on You Tube and see if it jogs your memory.

Yes!
Thanks!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users