"Regular" membership & RoversTV

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

Looking at the official website, the "Regular" membership of £49 (which is aimed at people who cannot attend regulalry or live overseas) describes the benefits as "Members receive access to Rovers TV and priority for cup game tickets". As RoversTV has been free until now, does this just mean that Fev are going to start charging for access to the RoversTV stuff, or are there developments in the pipeline such as streaming matches live or showing full recordings rather than highlights?

I suspect it's the former rather than the latter, and am not complaining if that's the case as I was always a bit surprised that they gave the RoversTV stuff away for free, but for those of us who live a long way away and aren't in a position to get to POR very often, it would be interesting if there was some way of watching games on the day.

#2 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

Looking at the official website, the "Regular" membership of £49 (which is aimed at people who cannot attend regulalry or live overseas) describes the benefits as "Members receive access to Rovers TV and priority for cup game tickets". As RoversTV has been free until now, does this just mean that Fev are going to start charging for access to the RoversTV stuff, or are there developments in the pipeline such as streaming matches live or showing full recordings rather than highlights?

I suspect it's the former rather than the latter, and am not complaining if that's the case as I was always a bit surprised that they gave the RoversTV stuff away for free, but for those of us who live a long way away and aren't in a position to get to POR very often, it would be interesting if there was some way of watching games on the day.

Good question. Might be a good compromise if the current highlights remained free to view, but for your membership you could stream the full game afterwards, rather than having to buy the DVD.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#3 SCOTTY

SCOTTY
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

Living in Florida I appreciate the highlights but I would really like access to full matches. For this I would be willing to pay an annual fee. Especially if this would help the onward progression of the Blue and whites push forward..
The truth is out there?

#4 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

We can post matches out to the USA. They are available from the official website. We can check the cost of postage for you and you could either order individual matches or buy a few at a time

#5 SCOTTY

SCOTTY
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for that Phil. would it be possible to work out the most ecconomic way to send out the matches to the US. Which will put money in rovers pockey and not the postal service.
Cheers
Ian
The truth is out there?

#6 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Does anyone know any more about this regular membership? I am very keen to be able to contribute to the continued development of Rovers, and as I spend very little each year watching games, at the most 2, I would love to be able to get access to the games via the internet. The DVD postal option is out of the question for me, and my only real opportunity to see anything is via Rovers TV. Please could someone tell me that for £49 I can get access to full games to download from the internet, please!

10527261_10152163584386971_3057229316284

#7 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for that Phil. would it be possible to work out the most ecconomic way to send out the matches to the US. Which will put money in rovers pockey and not the postal service.
Cheers
Ian

I think the most economical way would be to send them out in batches. I will price up postage and work out the best way of sending them

#8 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

I have had the great pleasure of watching the highlights of the last two friendlies and am getting really excited about the coming season...

But, being six and a half hours ahead of the UK, the occasional live matches are going to be a pain to watch, and I'm not in a position to receive DVD's by post I wondered if any decision had been made as to what is happening with Rovers TV.

I see on the club shop the Regular ticket is now £59 but is still listed as "...(which is aimed at people who cannot attend regulalry [sic] or live overseas) describes the benefits as "Members receive access to Rovers TV and priority for cup game tickets"
Does anyone know what this means? Is it live streaming, or access to full games on-line at a later date? - I'd pay good money for that.

Cheers

#9 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Could the club email the file of the game or use a password protected file sharing site so cliff can watch the games . It would be the easiest and most economical option .
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#10 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Could the club email the file of the game or use a password protected file sharing site so cliff can watch the games . It would be the easiest and most economical option .

youre looking at 7gb files, so upload/download might not be a viable option there.

Cummins Out.

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,462 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

youre looking at 7gb files, so upload/download might not be a viable option there.

Really? Downloading a game from ...err...certain websites usually takes around 700mb AVI files and 1GB mp4 files.

Still a bit big for emails, as you say.......

A Fev Blog

#12 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Agreed Mark, there are as you say fairly easy and low relatively low bandwidth ways to access games. But these "certain websites" aren't just there for the nasty things in life, they can also be used quite legally. Loads of people set up their own TV station and broadcast over the net, and break no rules doing so as long as they aren't broadcasting copyrighted material.

It surely (though I am no techie) could be possible to set up a Fev TV station with one of these websites, upload the games from the DVD at some point during the week and then broadcast them, those that want to watch could buy a 'season-ticket' password to access the station? I can't see it impacting on the gates, but impacting hugely for the people who for whatever reason couldn't make it to the game, strengthen our status as a pro-active and forwarding thinking club and maybe even bring in some new support?

Is it Leigh that have a radio station that broadcasts live coverage of all home games, which is I guess just a link to their match day commentary? Now that's a cracking idea!

#13 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I've uploaded the occasional full length wedding to Vimeo Plus without too much bother. It costs me about £70 per year for unlimited uploads and each one can be password protected so maybe that's an option. Does Premier Sports have exclusive rights to Championship games though??
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#14 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Really? Downloading a game from ...err...certain websites usually takes around 700mb AVI files and 1GB mp4 files.

Still a bit big for emails, as you say.......

Really? I always thought that itd be lower quality at a smaller size? I d/led a DVD from a certain website a few years back (I got it to check the content and bought it after) and it was 3gb in 3 parts, the quality wasnt the best. So I guessed at 7gb being a size which would give you good quality pictures and sound.

Cummins Out.

#15 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

At the Grand Final I was chatting to a guy (didn't get his name) who moved from Featherstone in 1960 then spent most of his life in Dorset, then moved to Cheshire. He said he'd got his grandchildren to follow Rovers from a distance, and brought them up for a couple of games each year. This seems an ideal medium for exiles to get their kids interested in a team from afar.

#16 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Does anyone have any contacts at the club who I could get in touch with regarding this enquiry? I emailed:

info@featherstonerovers.net

last week but got no response.

Cheers

Cliff

#17 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Does anyone have any contacts at the club who I could get in touch with regarding this enquiry? I emailed:

info@featherstonerovers.net

last week but got no response.

Cheers

Cliff

Cliff, if you're on Facebook, try posting the query on the Fev group page. Craig Poskitt reads it and does reply, so if it's not practical to phone, and I can see why it wouldn't be, that might be your best bet.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#18 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Cliff, if you're on Facebook, try posting the query on the Fev group page. Craig Poskitt reads it and does reply, so if it's not practical to phone, and I can see why it wouldn't be, that might be your best bet.

Hi Gazza, thanks for the advice, I am a member of that group, but facebook is one of the sites that we have limited access to over here, I can look but not post, send messages or pick messages up!

If facebook is the easiest way of getting in touch with someone from Featherstone Rovers, then would anyone who is a member of that group fancy doing me a favour and posting my email onto the Fev facebook page:

Hi Featherstone Rovers

I wonder if you could answer a quick question?

I live in Myanmar (Burma) and am therefore not in a position to have access to Premier sports, or receive DVD's of games by post. I wondered if any decision had been made as to what is happening with Rovers TV.

I see on the club shop the Regular ticket is listed as £59 and "...is aimed at people who cannot attend regularly or live overseas", the benefits are described "Members receive access to Rovers TV and priority for cup game tickets". Does this mean the club will be streaming the games live, or making full games available on-line at a later date?

As Rovers TV is currently free, although only the highlights, will this no longer be the case, as this is literally my only opportunity to see any Rovers games.

I've enquired about this on the Forum already, and the general consensus is that it is fairly easy and cheap to upload DVD's onto a password protected website such as Vimeo plus, that you could sell the password to people such as myself and all the other Fev fans across the globe.

I can't see it impacting negatively on the gates, but making a huge positive difference to the people who for whatever reason couldn't make it to the games, strengthen our status as a pro-active and forwarding thinking club and maybe even bring in some new support?

Any information you can share with me on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Cliff Lonsdale

#19 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hi Gazza, thanks for the advice, I am a member of that group, but facebook is one of the sites that we have limited access to over here, I can look but not post, send messages or pick messages up!

If facebook is the easiest way of getting in touch with someone from Featherstone Rovers, then would anyone who is a member of that group fancy doing me a favour and posting my email onto the Fev facebook page:

Hi Featherstone Rovers

I wonder if you could answer a quick question?

I live in Myanmar (Burma) and am therefore not in a position to have access to Premier sports, or receive DVD's of games by post. I wondered if any decision had been made as to what is happening with Rovers TV.

I see on the club shop the Regular ticket is listed as £59 and "...is aimed at people who cannot attend regularly or live overseas", the benefits are described "Members receive access to Rovers TV and priority for cup game tickets". Does this mean the club will be streaming the games live, or making full games available on-line at a later date?

As Rovers TV is currently free, although only the highlights, will this no longer be the case, as this is literally my only opportunity to see any Rovers games.

I've enquired about this on the Forum already, and the general consensus is that it is fairly easy and cheap to upload DVD's onto a password protected website such as Vimeo plus, that you could sell the password to people such as myself and all the other Fev fans across the globe.

I can't see it impacting negatively on the gates, but making a huge positive difference to the people who for whatever reason couldn't make it to the games, strengthen our status as a pro-active and forwarding thinking club and maybe even bring in some new support?

Any information you can share with me on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Cliff Lonsdale

If you pm me an email address Cliff, I'll send that to Craig and ask him to contact you directly.

Please view my photos.

#20 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

In case anyone was interested in the outcome of this I'm afraid I have no information.

I guess all at Fev are a bit busy at the minute with the magnificent and busy start to the new season. I'm hoping then that FEVTV will continue as normal and the video of the tries from each game will be released at some point during the week as they have been previously. I am a bit disappointed though, as I read into the advertisement for regular membership that this season it would be something slightly different, and was looking forward to getting to spend some cash with rovers and getting something special for 'overseas fans'.

I can't even take the advantage of watching the televised games on those 'special internet sites' any more as it seems they switch the internet off here at about midnight, and we are 6.5 hours ahead of the UK. I'll still enjoy my Sunday afternoons with skysports score updates, and look forward to when we play at Leigh when I can listen to their commentary

Never-mind, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I haven't been this excited about the start of the season since.... well...since last season, but by God isn't it great to be a Fev fan, wherever in the world you may be!

I've got a good feeling about this season...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users