Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

"Regular" membership & RoversTV

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

Looking at the Fev Rovers TV YouTube site, I wonder if the days of detailed highlights online are gone...there is a "teaser" of Rovers' first try from Sunday, and at the end of the 30-second clip a message "Full DVD available from club shop or online".

#22 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

It appears so - Jamie just annouced teaser clips from now on due to falling dvd sales

#23 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

If anyone was wondering how I got on in finding out about the whole Rovers TV thing, then I’m afraid I got no response from anyone at Fev. Which, although disappointing, I can understand as this is the start of the season and I guess folks are really busy down there at the moment.

I can understand them downsizing on the whole highlights thing, (although it was a godsend for me to see the tries each week) I guess it must have impacted on the DVD sales, and as a means to increase DVD sales they have to do it, but I’d still be really interested in finding out what the (had) have planned for Rovers TV. Especially as they did advertise it as a benefit of becoming a member, and highlighted the overseas supporter...

One of my fondest memories of watching Fev against who I can’t remember back in 2005 on a streamed match that I paid a fiver for, through Rovers TV (back when Phil Arundell was on the scene) in a dirty sweaty internet café in Columbo, Sri Lanka. By the end of the game the whole internet café was sat around me cheering Fev on, it was magical, dirty and sweaty and we won!

And if anyone reading this on the forum has any sway with Fev, can you have a word and explain to them that surely it can’t be that hard to upload the DVD’s onto the internet, set a password, and then charge folks like myself a fee to gain access to that video? What a way to demonstrate the forward thinking nature of the club?

Anyway, my limited access to Rovers isn’t their fault, it’s mine for living in such a backward country, I can’t get DVD’s through the post and I can’t see them on TV (or even on the internet) and that’s something I will have to get over. It doesn’t dampen my passion, and I am more excited about this season then I have been in a long time.

Can’t wait till we play at Leigh and then I can listen to their commentary on the radio. And for that reason it is always my favourite game of the season.

10527261_10152163584386971_3057229316284

#24 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Now I'm a bit embarrassed as it seems a post I sent earlier was published, (when it clearly wasn't at the time) yet due to the diabolical internet (and perhaps the time it takes to go through the censors here "Mingalaba guys") it didn't appear to me that I had published until now, I just assumed it went into the internet dustbin as things tend to do so here.

Anyway, it can only go towards my point.

Fev rovers forward thinking club > access to matches on the internet.

It was possible 7 years ago, it should be possible now.

#25 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

A few people who like yourself arent based locally arent happy with the removal of the highlights although can understand the clubs stance

There is a possibility that there may be some sort of upload to a website with a password etc to view highlights etc

also a delay in showing the highlights is being discussed e.g show highlights 2 weeks after game has played so club has time to shift some dvds

I guess youll have to watch this space

#26 ov fev

ov fev
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

I subsribe to barnsley player from barnsley FC. £4 per month and contains Full replays of all matches, highlights, press conferences and exclusive interviews, a well as live commenary on all matches.

http://www.player.ba...yfc.co.uk/home/

A fantastic service, so it is all possible.

Wouldn't expect Fev to set up such a service as barnsleys is done via a thirdparty company and BFC just upload the content and take a pretty decent cut from all subscriptons.

Streaming content would be pretty expensive as it would take a lot of bandwidth and need a decent server, but It would however be possible and very easy as well as quite cheap for fev to set up a fev torrents site. Here they could upload good quality copies of full games, only giving access to paying members to download content.

Vidoes can be compressed to smaller formats these days with very little quality loss from the souce. A dvd is only max 4.3gb and can easily be encoded to 1.3gb / 700mb without loss.

Not sure why anyone would want to pay £49 for just youtube highlights.

Edited by ov fev, 07 February 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#27 Cliff in Myanmar

Cliff in Myanmar
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

It seems our prayers have been answered!

Thanks to Gazza77 for pointing this out to me. Exciting news indeed!

http://featherstoner...le.php?id=10713

Can't wait until May

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users