Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

ANOTHER RISING STAR CHOOSES THE RAMS

Rams media release

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Dewsbury Rams' head-turning close-season recruitment drive has continued with the signature of highly-rated Wakefield Trinity Wildcats Academy prop forward Tom Lillycrop.

Lillycrop joined the Wildcats from Bradford during the closing stages of the 2011 season and has won many admirers during his time at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium. He featured in the first-team's pre-season friendly against Sheffield and was a member of Wakefield's victorious Super League Nines team, before going on to take home the Man of Steel and Players' Player of the Year Awards from the end-of-season presentation ceremony.

His performances in the red, white and blue of Wakefield did not go unnoticed, to the extent that two other top Championship clubs attempted to recruit Lillycrop for 2013, but the 20-year-old England Academy representative has snubbed interest from elsewhere to join the Rams and link-up for a second time with Glenn Morrison. That Lillycrop has opted to sign for Dewsbury ahead of clubs finishing further up the league ladder in 2012 is testament to the Rams' growing stature in the game, and a reflection of head coach Morrison's ambitions for his team and the players in his squad.

Rated by Academy observers as a prop with the potential to "scatter" defences, Lillycrop is the Rams' 11th new signing of the close-season and becomes the 21st member of an exciting new-look squad at the Tetley's Stadium. Head coach Glenn Morrison confirmed that he has now hit the "final straight" in his recruitment plans and says he is delighted to have landed a player of Tom's calibre.

"Tom is a great player and, already at 110kg, somebody I see as a little bit of a young Makali Aizue," said the Rams boss. "He had two top clubs chasing him but he wanted to come to us. I think it's fantastic that we've been able to bring him to the club and I'm really excited about seeing him pull on the Red, Amber and Black of Dewsbury Rams."

Dewsbury Rams media

Edited by Honor James, 12 October 2012 - 01:53 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

If they keep this up the loanees from Bradford won't get a game.

#3 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

Have to say it again the Rams look to be assembling a very good team this year.

#4 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Have to say it again the Rams look to be assembling a very good team this year.

Unproven as yet. I would expect that they need a bit more experience on board,

#5 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Unproven as yet. I would expect that they need a bit more experience on board,

Seems like the Championship teams are really benefitting from the change in SL academy systems, with all teams picking up several good youngsters to bolster the ranks. Barrow Raiders have already signed 6/7 players from SL clubs, aging from 19-21, but i am inclined to agree wth you that experience is lacking, and such recruitment drives could falter as result.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users