Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Votes at 16

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

I've met many 26 year olds who couldn't even name Galloway, and yet I've met some 16 year olds who have active interests in politics at local and national level. I don't think it's an age problem, it's a social one.

Quite.

The turnout at the last General Election was below 70%, which means over 30% of those over 18 and eligible to vote either took no interest or deliberately avoided voting. Some 16-17 year olds will vote if given the opportunity (I certainly would have done at that age) and some wont. Just because not all of them would is no argument from preventing those who want to vote having the right to do so.

Former Tory leader and current Foreign Secretary William Hague made quite a name for himself at 16 (though I'm not sure if that's an argument in favour or against the idea of votes at 16, tbh ^_^ )

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users