Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Another new signing - Sean Casey

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Raiders have caputured Leeds Rhinos Academy halfback Sean Casey on a 1 year deal
From the NW Evening Mail Website
"
Leeds Rhinos Academy half-back Sean Casey has become the latest new boy to add his name to the Craven Park roster for 2013.
The 19-year-old Ireland international has signed a one-year deal with Barrow, having come highly-recommended by Rhinos youth chief Barry McDermott.
The player himself revealed the news on Twitter yesterday afternoon, saying: “I have signed a one-year deal at Barrow Raiders for next season. Bring on Championship rugby league.”
Raiders coach Darren Holt hopes the 6ft tall, 12 stone youngster will add another dimension in the middle of the park for Barrow and said: “We knew we needed another half-back.
“I did a lot of spadework on this position – in this division, if you look at the top teams, they have an experienced half-back who takes them round the pitch.“Unfortunately, these players aren’t grown on trees, especially up in Cumbria, so we have decided to go a different route.
“I’ve watched a lot of games where Sean has played, I’ve had an extensive chat with him and his dad – former Oldham and Ireland prop Leo – when they came up to talk to myself and Acky (assistant boss Phil Atkinson).
“I spoke to Barrie McDermott, who has been looking after him at Leeds, for half-an-hour about Sean and he had nothing but good reports about him in terms of attitude and training and everything.
“I’ve had loads of offers for loads of different half-backs and, from what I have seen, Sean was the way I wanted to go. That’s testament to his talent already and hopefully we can add to that and help him progress.
“I see him as a very good signing for us going forward.”
Casey is one of three half-backs now on the Barrow books for next season, alongside Liam Campbell and Scott Kaighan.
That pair are both in their mid-20s and will take on the senior roles in the middle of the park, with Casey offering something different.
“Sean is very, very vocal when he is on the pitch, he’s confident and the whole point of him coming up here to be with us is that, with me being a half-back, hopefully I can help bring his game on,” Holt added.
“I’m looking forward to working with him, as I’m sure Acky is as well.
“I look forward to him coming up and hopefully I can impart something to him and, depending on how things go, maybe he can become the man to guide the team around the pitch.
“We’ve told him the way we see things going forward and it looks like we have sold it Sean.
“He is committed to coming up here next year and hopefully he will keep progressing.”
While they have landed Casey, Barrow missed out on a move to sign Oldham half-back Jamie Dallimore.
The 23-year-old has agreed new terms with the Roughyeds in Championship One next season, after turning down the chance to come up a division at Craven Park.
Holt confirmed he had held brief talks with Dallimore, but that it quickly became apparent that the former BARLA Great Britain international would not be joining the ranks for 2013.
“I did speak to Jamie very briefly and said we might well be interested in bringing him up here,” the Barrow boss said.
“But it was clear, for a number of reasons, it wasn’t going to happen. The travelling was always going to be an issue with him and after speaking with him it all went a bit quiet and he has ended up staying at Oldham.”
“He’s obviously a talented lad, he has just come up from the amateur ranks and he had a good season – hence why we were interested in him – but it was always going to be a bit of a trek for him to come up here and a bit of a pull.“Now he’s signed back for his local club, we wish him all the best.”
l The majority of the 2012 squad will be in attendance for the club’s end-of-season awards presentation tonight.
Out-of-town players James Dandy and Andy Ballard – the latter having signed for Swinton for next season – will make the trip up to Furness to join the locally-based contingent.
A number of awards will be handed out at the Nines, including the Player-of-the-Year, Supporters’ Player-of-the-Year and the Evening Mail Player-of-the-Year."

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#2 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Something was put on about this yesterday.

#3 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

Something was put on about this yesterday.

Then it was just a rumour, now its solid. There is a difference !!

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#4 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Then it was just a rumour, now its solid. There is a difference !!

A rumour? It was a quote from the man himself, from the horses mouth so to speak.