Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

French fans' radical approach to the media

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

I visited a site for French fans and saw this particular discussion
http://www.rugbyforu...hp?f=73&t=52928 (if you are unable to speak French, type the link into Google and select translate page). To a (French)man they are all thanking and praising BeIn TV for their coverage of the sport and commenting how much they enjoyed the Grand Final. Is it too much to hope for, that this revolutionary approach to the media could also be adopted in Britain?
I will kick it of; in the last few days I have read positive stories in the Telegraph(Paul Wood), Daily Mail and Evening Standard(World Cup Trophy Tour) and listened to Sky News tell viewers that Sinfield has been appointed England Captain. So thank you to all those outlets for these good stories and I look forward to hearing more in the build up to the World Cup.

I also want to say that I greatly appreciate our TV broadcasters Sky Sports, BBC and Premier Sports, they all do good jobs in promoting and explaining the sport. I want to especially show my appreciation for the year on year financial input of Sky Sports. Their contribution allows teams to compete as professional clubs and aids player development through academies. I enjoy the way Sky Sports present the game; I love the drama of waiting for the decision from the video ref, or seeing graphically the difficulty of a conversion kick. For many people who do not live along the M62, their only contact with the game will be through their Sky Sports subscription. I know through talking to a number of my Kent work colleagues, who approach the game with no preconceptions, that they are enjoying watching a fast skillful physical sport. So thank you Sky Sports, your presentation of the game is leading to new fans being attracted to League.

I love my Premier Sports subscription, being able to see everything from NRL to Championship 1, with bonuses like the Canada games is brilliant, keep up the good work. Thanks also to the BBC, the Super League Show is always a highlight of my week, and would be worthy of a national network slot. Your coverage of the Challenge Cup and International games is packed with a number of pundits who give valuable insights into the games. I am also impressed with your commitment to put women in front of the camera to anchor your coverage, so well done to you too.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

I will kick it of; in the last few days I have read positive stories in the Telegraph(Paul Wood), Daily Mail and Evening Standard(World Cup Trophy Tour) and listened to Sky News tell viewers that Sinfield has been appointed England Captain. So thank you to all those outlets for these good stories and I look forward to hearing more in the build up to the World Cup.

I also want to say that I greatly appreciate our TV broadcasters Sky Sports, BBC and Premier Sports, they all do good jobs in promoting and explaining the sport. I want to especially show my appreciation for the year on year financial input of Sky Sports. Their contribution allows teams to compete as professional clubs and aids player development through academies. I enjoy the way Sky Sports present the game; I love the drama of waiting for the decision from the video ref, or seeing graphically the difficulty of a conversion kick. For many people who do not live along the M62, their only contact with the game will be through their Sky Sports subscription. I know through talking to a number of my Kent work colleagues, who approach the game with no preconceptions, that they are enjoying watching a fast skillful physical sport. So thank you Sky Sports, your presentation of the game is leading to new fans being attracted to League.

I love my Premier Sports subscription, being able to see everything from NRL to Championship 1, with bonuses like the Canada games is brilliant, keep up the good work. Thanks also to the BBC, the Super League Show is always a highlight of my week, and would be worthy of a national network slot. Your coverage of the Challenge Cup and International games is packed with a number of pundits who give valuable insights into the games. I am also impressed with your commitment to put women in front of the camera to anchor your coverage, so well done to you too.

I'm with you! Here's to the future with positive RL fans.

Rugby League - THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#3 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

Well said that man,
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#4 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Weirdo

#5 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

I visited a site for French fans and saw this particular discussion
http://www.rugbyforu...hp?f=73&t=52928 (if you are unable to speak French, type the link into Google and select translate page). To a (French)man they are all thanking and praising BeIn TV for their coverage of the sport and commenting how much they enjoyed the Grand Final. Is it too much to hope for, that this revolutionary approach to the media could also be adopted in Britain?

correct about the Bein Sports coverage which has been well received since they started covering the Catalan games but it has to be said the vast majority of french RL fans are disgusted that their international team is being asked to play in northern france and not in a heartland stadium - the FFR have just alienated the very people they need to keep on board in these difficult times. LER crowds are already down from reports i've heard with many fans put off supporting their local game - well done FFR13, you just shot yourself in the foot yet again !

#6 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

correct about the Bein Sports coverage which has been well received since they started covering the Catalan games but it has to be said the vast majority of french RL fans are disgusted that their international team is being asked to play in northern france and not in a heartland stadium - the FFR have just alienated the very people they need to keep on board in these difficult times. LER crowds are already down from reports i've heard with many fans put off supporting their local game - well done FFR13, you just shot yourself in the foot yet again !

You're not really getting the hang of it yet, are you? ;-)

#7 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

You're not really getting the hang of it yet, are you? ;-)

go on, enlighten me !

what am I 'not getting' ?

#8 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

go on, enlighten me ! what am I 'not getting' ?

I'm with you! Here's to the future with positive RL fans. Rugby League - THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL

Well said that man,

The POSITIVE nature of the posts/thread

#9 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

The POSITIVE nature of the posts/thread

so, how about getting into the REAL world and accepting that not ALL IS actually positive ?

the FFR has been in limbo since the sad passing of Hervé Giraud - Larrat has shirked his responsabilities - I spoke with him at Toulouse not too long ago and he was negative ! He wanted out asap from his post thus putting off the responsability of finding a new national RL coach - he then got in cahoots with Dayan about this nonsensical Lens game

Bein Sports along with other iniatives instigated by Larrat before the passing of Hervé have been great - he even tried to change the overseas players ruling at the LER clubs but was shot down by the clubs ! - Larrat has done wonders for french RL but he has sadly lost interest and a new president should have been in place six months ago - french RL needs to promote the game further afield but not at the expense of the bread and butter fans - what's wrong with that ?

#10 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

go on, enlighten me !

what am I 'not getting' ?

The OP was specifically targeted at positivity about media coverage, not positivity about the RL authorities. We do tend to ignore any good stuff that comes out of the media and focus on the perceived slights.

As for the RL authorities, well we all have our opinions on them (mine are largely based on ignorance and prejudice), but even there, we do tend to look for the ###### in the pile of diamonds.

Anyway, I think that what you were missing was the 'media' aspect of the OP.

HTH

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#11 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

The OP was specifically targeted at positivity about media coverage, not positivity about the RL authorities. We do tend to ignore any good stuff that comes out of the media and focus on the perceived slights.

As for the RL authorities, well we all have our opinions on them (mine are largely based on ignorance and prejudice), but even there, we do tend to look for the ###### in the pile of diamonds.

HTH

^^^^^^ this!

#12 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

French fans are just really happy to see rl on tv, just like the English fans when sky started to screen games, as for the France game I've not heard many complaints in the aude, it's just like it's not happening, they'll just be pleased to see it on tv,

#13 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

HTH

HTH

HTH

ok to follow the OP - yes, the tv coverage is brilliant - I love the SKY coverage despite 'Mr Wigan' & his stats and failed Margin Meter and the Premier Sports coverage is the icing on the cake especially this season seeing Donny (we sponsor a player) actually winning something ! The interactive VR is a brilliant idea and one which SKY will no doubt be bringing in next season

The NRL has been good with regular repeats of all the games throughout the week.

Bien Sports is good for the french game though a 'big screen' at the GB would be a worthwhile expense in my opinion, especially for video replays etc - here's hoping Toulouse can negotiate a similar deal with Bien or another tv company for any future SL inclusion

Not forgetting the extensive radio coverage from Radio Marseillette which is a godsend - thanks to Bernard and the gang for the unbiased (usually !) live broadcasts from the Catalans and LER games

I also very much enjoy tuning into the various regional english stations covering SL games with the only blemish for me being the totally biased commentaries from Humberside with Lee Crookes the main offender - the rest of the stations are excellent again, in my opinion

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

French fans are just really happy to see rl on tv, just like the English fans when sky started to screen games, as for the France game I've not heard many complaints in the aude, it's just like it's not happening, they'll just be pleased to see it on tv,

Sky were not the first broadcaster of RL in the UK, they weren't even the first satellite broadcaster of the game in the UK.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#15 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

They were the first to show games on a regular basis I think, I remember the excitement of being able to watch scrumdown late at night! But the coverage used to be limited to challenge cup, just as French rl used to be sometimes on tv but again was limited,

#16 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

They were the first to show games on a regular basis I think, I remember the excitement of being able to watch scrumdown late at night! But the coverage used to be limited to challenge cup, just as French rl used to be sometimes on tv but again was limited,

They were and they weren't.

It was actuially BSB (of the famous squariels) who were first, IIRC, Both Eddie and Stevo started with BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting) before the amalgamation with Sky (to become BSkyB). I think when we look at Sky's dominance in today's market it's very easy to forget just how precarious it was when the competition between the two almost bankrupted them both. Now that would have been a disaster for RL on TV.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,890 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think when we look at Sky's dominance in today's market it's very easy to forget just how precarious it was when the competition between the two almost bankrupted them both. Now that would have been a disaster for RL on TV.

I have some old Radio 4 comedy shows from that era, and many jokes were made about SkyTV and the fact that nobody was watching it. Say what you like about Murdoch & Co.*, they saw the potential of satellite/subscription broadcasting.

*worst TotP dance troupe ever.

Edited by Futtocks, 17 October 2012 - 01:45 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#18 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

I have some old Radio 4 comedy shows from that era, and many jokes were made about SkyTV and the fact that nobody was watching it. Say what you like about Murdoch & Co.*, they saw the potential of satellite/subscription broadcasting.

*worst TotP dance troupe ever.

Indeed.

There's no doubt (with 20/20 hindsight) that sport was the way to give satellite TV a foothold, and didn't it just!!
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/