RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Advertiser...again!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

I dont normally bother with this rag. it normally gets put straight into the blue or brown bin. (can never remember which one). However, against my better judgement i thumbed through the sport section. Sale seem to have a decent spread! They are yet to win a game and they are getting valuable column inches. This does not bode well for RL coverage in the local press as it looks like the muppets that run this rag have nailed their colours to the mast of rugby onion. Nice to know we are now third or fourth in the pecking list for coverage.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#2 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Amongst a few sniggers on here at the expense of Salford "City" Reds, when the news broke about Sale Sharks moving into Barton I did wonder if we were missing the point in terms of a new competitor moving onto the scene. This is probably the tip of the iceberg to be honest.

For several years Sale Sharks have comfortably out-performed not only the Lions and Reds, but have put most rugby league clubs in the shade in terms of off-field marketing and community work. It shouldn't really come as a surprise that the Sharks have quickly sought to build new relationships with the local media and have also launched an initiative to coach union to kids in schools throughout the City of Salford.

The Sharks basically will be making life easy for the Advertiser to provide coverage, its the way of things nowadays in the local papers - they simply churn out whatever the clubs spoon feed to them.

Perhaps an ironic and very undesirable outcome of the flawed Barton scheme, particularly the Council's need to turn to the Sharks to help keep it afloat financially, will prove to be longer-term encroachment of union further into the local sporting culture than ever before.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#3 THE PIMPERNEL

THE PIMPERNEL
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

If Sale keep going the way they are and Newcastle don't get promoted then the most Northerly team in Rugby Unions top division will be Leicester!!! So at long last we are back to 1896 again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users