Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squad Complete Who would your 17 be?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bulldogs17

bulldogs17
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

I know some of the players will be a bit of a mystery but how would you line up if the first fixture was tomorrow. I'd go with:

1. Greenwood
2. Potts
3. Walton
4. Faal
5. Johnson
6. Black
7. Moore
8. Smith
9. Mennell
10. Fleming/Leary
11. Applegarth
12. Davies
13. Lindsay

14. Flanagan
15. Hirst
16. Rowe
17. Bretherton/Esders

Think we are still a prop short, however dual reg may help with that as the season goes on.

#2 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'd have JC in before Johnson. Apart from that I wouldn't change much I don't think

#3 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

I know some of the players will be a bit of a mystery but how would you line up if the first fixture was tomorrow. I'd go with:

1. Greenwood
2. Potts
3. Walton
4. Faal
5. Johnson
6. Black
7. Moore
8. Smith
9. Mennell
10. Fleming/Leary
11. Applegarth
12. Davies
13. Lindsay

14. Flanagan
15. Hirst
16. Rowe
17. Bretherton/Esders

Think we are still a prop short, however dual reg may help with that as the season goes on.

deleted post.

Edited by grumpyoldram, 14 October 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#4 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

I'd have JC in before Johnson. Apart from that I wouldn't change much I don't think

If you are leaving johnson out because you are not comfortable about his signing fine, if you are leaving him out on footballing grounds, I'd say it would be a mistake. The guy isn't just a sprinter but a damned good footballer too - almost certainly be the quickest in the division, and TBH too good for the championship. If he gets game time with the dogs, I would think it's only a matter of time before he gets another shot at SL. Mind you the crowds in SL might not let him forget his off field problems so easily, ask poor old Monaghan at warrington. :rolleyes:

#5 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Have to agree, whatever your opinion of Johnson, theres no doubting he was a terrific prospect before 'the incident'.

Overall Squad looks ok, but to me theres something missing but cant quite put my finger on what it is.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#6 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

I Would have Potts and JC as my first choice. They were both playing well and in our last game where Sheffield stuffed us JC was the only player who turned up for us.

#7 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Have to agree, whatever your opinion of Johnson, theres no doubting he was a terrific prospect before 'the incident'.

Overall Squad looks ok, but to me theres something missing but cant quite put my finger on what it is.

I know what you mean , no big signing , maybe keeping Blackie is the marquee signing , and no one that shouts out to be Captain , but on the positive side , think we have strengthened the squad in every department , with players that can play in more than one position , Im looking forward to this season , having the fastest wingers/full backs in the division

#8 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Agree with Bob in that I think we have more quality in depth this season, but I can also see BTJ's point in that we perhaps haven't made an X Factor signing for next year. The important thing for me is we've kept all our best players from last season, and added to these with our recruitment, particularly in important positions where i personally felt we were lacking, i.e. Centre and the Back Row. We are also going to have a very pacy, potent backline to add to a big, strong pack where we have a plethera of options.

Of course if get injuries in key positions we may suffer, but the same applies to every other club in the division.

Hard to pick a team yet as not seen all the players as of yet, but if I had to it would be:

1. Greenwood
2. Potts
3. Faal
4. Walton
5. Campbell
6. Black
7. Moore
8. Smith/Fleming
9. Mennell
10 Hirst
11. Applegarth
12. Davies
13.Lindsay

14. Flanaghan
15. Rowe
16. Alex Walmsley
17. Esders

If Alex W isn't available then Fleming on the bench.

In reserve:
Maun
Johnson - will push quickly for a first team slot though
Hemmingway
Whitmore
Potter
Bretherton
Leary
Liam Walmsley

Applegarth as Captain with Black and Mennell as Vice Captains

#9 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Well what I saw of Davies when we played them at home I would have Esder's in his place, he lacked size and had a poor game.

#10 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

I think Davies was injured when we played at home.
He was very good at their place.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#11 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Yes, I think he only played the first 10 minutes or so then went off injured and didn't come back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users