Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rangi Chase

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Can't believe some of the bile being thrown at Rangi Chase simply because he played for England (and it is just that).

He got picked for MOS by his peers in a three horse race. Regardless of whether people think Tomkins should have been it or not, that still makes him ate sat the second best player that year. That makes him significantly better than average. He got voted above Roby, that makes him class.

He got into the Opta team of the year in 2012 after only playing half of the season. He literally carries Cas. He is not average by any definition, and he'd get into ANY team in the league, even better than established stars like McGuire and Briers.

So for anyone calling him average, you really need to put up a far better argument than "he looks good because Cas are cr**.

He shouldn't have been picked for England because he needs a visa to work in this country. We now have the embarrassing situation where he's going to be kicked out of the country he's represented!

If he was actually English, people wouldn't be saying half the things they have about him.

In Your Opinion!

#22 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

In Your Opinion!

And the majority of SL players apparently.
You're telling me you wouldn't have Rangi at your club?
Posted Image

#23 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Can't believe some of the bile being thrown at Rangi Chase simply because he played for England (and it is just that).

He got picked for MOS by his peers in a three horse race. Regardless of whether people think Tomkins should have been it or not, that still makes him ate sat the second best player that year. That makes him significantly better than average. He got voted above Roby, that makes him class.

He got into the Opta team of the year in 2012 after only playing half of the season. He literally carries Cas. He is not average by any definition, and he'd get into ANY team in the league, even better than established stars like McGuire and Briers.

So for anyone calling him average, you really need to put up a far better argument than "he looks good because Cas are cr**.

He shouldn't have been picked for England because he needs a visa to work in this country. We now have the embarrassing situation where he's going to be kicked out of the country he's represented!

If he was actually English, people wouldn't be saying half the things they have about him.

I was dead set against Maurie Fa'asavalu playing GB but we were told that Tony Smith had looked him in the eye and Maurie was sincere about representing his adopted Nation, guess what, he was back representing Sama within two years.

I was/am dead set against Willie Manu playing for England, add Chris Heighington & Feleti Mateo to that but I'm not about to criticise their ability or character assassinate any of them so your assertion that Rangi is criticised because he played for England hold no water.

Im not going to create a big fuss over Chases MoS award either, he just about deserved it in a year when there seemed to be few absolute stand out players who'd consistently caught the eye.

He had his day in the sun and has since been found wanting in many aspects including his conduct off the field, his conduct on the field, his ability to play at a higher level, he's offered poor value to his team, caused trouble for his new Coach in his vital first year and his constant "come and get me" media articles are unedifying to say the least.

See ya Rangi, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

#24 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

And the majority of SL players apparently.
You're telling me you wouldn't have Rangi at your club?

I'm telling you that I'd be mortified if my club signed Rangi Chase, the last thing we need is the circus that seems to follow him around and for every good thing he brings he'd erase something positive.

#25 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

You're right. Rangi Chase should never have been picked by England.

He should have found a distant Welsh ancestor.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#26 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm telling you that I'd be mortified if my club signed Rangi Chase, the last thing we need is the circus that seems to follow him around and for every good thing he brings he'd erase something positive.

I wouldn't have been mortified had he signed for Hull but I wasn't exactly devastated when the move fell through.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

I was dead set against Maurie Fa'asavalu playing GB but we were told that Tony Smith had looked him in the eye and Maurie was sincere about representing his adopted Nation, guess what, he was back representing Sama within two years.

I was/am dead set against Willie Manu playing for England, add Chris Heighington & Feleti Mateo to that but I'm not about to criticise their ability or character assassinate any of them so your assertion that Rangi is criticised because he played for England hold no water.

Im not going to create a big fuss over Chases MoS award either, he just about deserved it in a year when there seemed to be few absolute stand out players who'd consistently caught the eye.

He had his day in the sun and has since been found wanting in many aspects including his conduct off the field, his conduct on the field, his ability to play at a higher level, he's offered poor value to his team, caused trouble for his new Coach in his vital first year and his constant "come and get me" media articles are unedifying to say the least.

Heighington and Fa'asavalu got loads of criticism for their inclusions, a lot was mentioned of their playing ability in the same was as Rangi.

Whilst I won't argue about his conduct off the field, but it's funny how when it's a foreign player the witch hunt is on, but when it's an English player people aren't saying we should chuck them out. There are a huge amount of double standards amongst RL fans on this subject.

You'd be mortified if he signs, until he starts winning you games.
Posted Image

#28 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Which would be more than balanced off by the disruption he causes and the games we lost because of his brain farts and poor team structure.

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,715 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Chris Heighinton is not in the same bracket as Chase and Fa'savalu because he has English parentage, which provided the person stays with that country is acceptable imo.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#30 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Whilst I won't argue about his conduct off the field, but it's funny how when it's a foreign player the witch hunt is on, but when it's an English player people aren't saying we should chuck them out. There are a huge amount of double standards amongst RL fans on this subject.

It's very easy to sound indignant without having a sound principle to back it up!

Not many voices these days about Gareth Hock getting an England shirt, yet I recall many complaints when he came back from his ban.

I am disappointed Chase hasn't come to Hull FC as he has the rare ability to do the "off the cuff" unexpected that unlocks defences. He could have been the final piece in Hull FC's jigsaw for next season :mellow:
Nonetheless, Chase has unfortunate personal traits, which do not mean he isn't a quality player and to argue against his skills on the pitch because of that is blinkered to say the least.

Edited by Roy Boy, 14 October 2012 - 01:31 PM.

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#31 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Why have heighington n manu been forgotten about by england has there situation changed
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#32 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Never been the same since Fev made him look a chump.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#33 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Why have heighington n manu been forgotten about by england has there situation changed

NRL players aren't available are they?

Not sure on the Manu situation. We're well covered on the back row it seems.

I do think we need to avoid these kind of selections though. They're hurting the England brand IMO.
Posted Image

#34 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

NRL players aren't available are they?

Not sure on the Manu situation. We're well covered on the back row it seems.

I do think we need to avoid these kind of selections though. They're hurting the England brand IMO.

Luke Burgess is in all the others are injured n grahams banned
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#35 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

i have never been a chase fan, to me his style of play was to scattergun and not even his team mates knew what he was going to do next.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#36 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

i have never been a chase fan, to me his style of play was to scattergun and not even his team mates knew what he was going to do next.

Yet he has 29 try assists in 16 games - nearly two per game.
Posted Image

#37 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

still don't rate him..............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#38 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

still don't rate him..............

You don't rate a guy that sets up two tries per game?!
Personal issues in him aside, no one can deny that he's a top player.
Posted Image

#39 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

This.

#40 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

You don't rate a guy that sets up two tries per game?!
Personal issues in him aside, no one can deny that he's a top player.

so is gaz hock but people still hate him................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users