Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The charged down rule

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Watching the Australia v New Zealand game yesterday the ball hit an Aussie player from a kick, the ref signalled that it was still the 5th tackle. Leeds twice in their last 2 games got the tackle count restarted after a ball played the man after a kick. What exactly is the rule?

#2 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

The way I understand it is that the tackle count should only be restarted if the opposing player makes an attempt to block the ball. So If you're just stood there and the ball hits you then that is not a charge down or a knock on (as you've not played at the ball) and the tackle count is not reset. Only if you take action to affect the ball should a charge down be given and the tackle count wiped. Who recovers the ball after the incident has no bearing on the ruling. It's not very clear on the RFL's site either

10 KnockOn & Forward Pass

Deliberate 1. A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks on or passes forward.
Accidental 2. If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed.
Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be formed except after the fifth play-the-ball.

Charge-down 3. To charge-down a kick is permissible and is not a knock-on.

Also I've no idea if this is ruling is different in international or NRL law. Hope that was helpful. :unsure:

#3 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

I understand it as;

If the ball hits an opponent from a kick and there is no attempt to play the ball and the kicking team regain possesion; tackle count NOT reset.

If the defender deliberately plays the ball /charges down the kick; tackle count reset.

It is a shame sometimes when a great charge down is penalised by this.

#4 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Daftest rule in the book to me (I know, I've posted about this before), as it rewards a bad kick with another set of six.

#5 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Daftest rule in the book to me (I know, I've posted about this before), as it rewards a bad kick with another set of six.

Agreed - time for them to change it!

#6 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

The ball has to be rising as well to be classed as a charge down.

#7 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 816 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

I think it all depends how the ref see,s it very often the player as no chance of getting out of the way and the ref very often give,s it as a charge down???

#8 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Read the rules, glossary section. Easy.

#9 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Not wiping the tackle count down after a charge down would be much better on several fronts:

1 teams would pressurise kickers more, making tries from kicks slightly harder to earn

2 the reward would be for good play attempting to charge down, rather than for a poor kick that fortuitously ends up back with your team

3 players would aiming to charge down the ball and not attack etc the kicker, making the game slightly safer

Simples

#10 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Not wiping the tackle count down after a charge down would be much better on several fronts:

1 teams would pressurise kickers more, making tries from kicks slightly harder to earn

2 the reward would be for good play attempting to charge down, rather than for a poor kick that fortuitously ends up back with your team

3 players would aiming to charge down the ball and not attack etc the kicker, making the game slightly safer

Simples

Very good points I like your thinking

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Simples

I've never really had an issue with the chargedown rules, but I like this suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users