Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squad Numbers

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Rumour has it the squad numbers reappear next season. Does anyone know for sure?

What are peoples thoughts on this? Would you prefer the 1-17 shirts to stay?
SIGNATURE

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Yes, never liked the squad numbers!

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#3 bulldogs17

bulldogs17
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

I like the squad numbers. means its easier to identify new players on the pitch, just hope we don't have to get to number 40odd like dewsbury did the other season!!

#4 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

It's got to be squad numbers. At least they are printed in the programme and you know who people are. How many times have you tried to listen to the teams being read out (at LoveRugby.com and elsewhere) and you cannot hear who is playing?

#5 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

It's got to be squad numbers. At least they are printed in the programme and you know who people are. How many times have you tried to listen to the teams being read out (at LoveRugby.com and elsewhere) and you cannot hear who is playing?

I hate the squad numbers system - think we had to buy fifty odd shirts a couple of seasons ago. I would prefer it that teamsheets be mandatorily given out at the gate, and that there are enough to go round. Maybe clubs could also consider putting up chalkboards up inside the ground and bars with the teams on like they used to in the old days.

#6 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

I like the squadnumbers. It makes it easier for new supporters when trying to remember players etc.

#7 greydog

greydog
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

I prefer 1 - 17 over squad numbers .

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Squad numbers. The jerseys fit the players.

They're much tighter fitting these days - we've ended up duplicating loads of jerseys so the cost saving of 1-17 is totally illusory.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

I hate the squad numbers system - think we had to buy fifty odd shirts a couple of seasons ago. I would prefer it that teamsheets be mandatorily given out at the gate, and that there are enough to go round. Maybe clubs could also consider putting up chalkboards up inside the ground and bars with the teams on like they used to in the old days.

Only for A team games surely GOR?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

I do like the traditional 1-17 though

#11 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

Only for A team games surely GOR?

It was still a good idea though - for the first team games you bought a program and then spent the first ten minutes of the match altering the names of the players on the teamsheet - if you were a collector you had to buy two so you had a pristine copy. Ahh ! happy days.

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

Not as good an idea as squad numbers, though.

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

A bit outside the box maybe but why bother with numbers at all? If the shirts are effectively allocated to individuals then why not just print their names across the back?

The numbers are actually an irrelevance.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

A bit outside the box maybe but why bother with numbers at all? If the shirts are effectively allocated to individuals then why not just print their names across the back?

The numbers are actually an irrelevance.

Easier to see a number than a name BSJ - especially for those of us of advancing years!

#15 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Yep - Laulu-Togagae only fits on in small letters. :lol:

#16 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Easier to see a number than a name BSJ - especially for those of us of advancing years!

But then you still need your checklist of 25 players to find out which one is which number Fred, and that's just for the home team. for the away side you've got no chance.

Maybe I'll struggle when I reach your age. :rolleyes:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

You soon learn them.

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

You soon learn them.

It's easier just to recognise the players - but that doesn't help with the away side, and I'm not about to learn the squad numbers of every team in the division.
Squad numbers eh ? makes you wonder how we managed without them for a hundred years. :rolleyes:

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

It's easier just to recognise the players - but that doesn't help with the away side, and I'm not about to learn the squad numbers of every team in the division.
Squad numbers eh ? makes you wonder how we managed without them for a hundred years. :rolleyes:

We had baggier jerseys.

And that's not a facetious reply.

#20 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

With Griff on this one, you get a squad number given, you get a shirt that fits and you're happy with then you're sorted. Saves the club having to have duplicate shirts in different sizes on top of the duplicate shirts they would have for ripped shirts etc.Cheaper for clubs to kit out their squads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users