Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Muslims Target Google

Protest

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Is this right?

No.

You should be able to insult whomsoever you like.

However they should have the right to protest about you being nasty.

This is what happened on the weekend and I hope Google and YouTube continue to hold firm.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#22 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

I totally support their right to protest, I can even see their point and have a degree of sympathy.
But making demands and telling us what we will say or not say? No chance

#23 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

And what of those people deeply offended by religious types' self-righteous bleating every time some one points out how ridiculous the 'faiths' are?

If 'god' was as all-knowing, all powerful and all-forgiving as he/she/it is made out to be, he/she/it wouldn't give a toss about what was said about him/her/it and those who hear his/her/its voice inside their heads.

Take 'god' out of the equation and it all falls apart. Or - as some might argue - if he/she/it actually existed, people wouldn't have to invent him/her/it.

Grrr...

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#24 Bones

Bones
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

And what of those people deeply offended by religious types' self-righteous bleating every time some one points out how ridiculous the 'faiths' are?

If 'god' was as all-knowing, all powerful and all-forgiving as he/she/it is made out to be, he/she/it wouldn't give a toss about what was said about him/her/it and those who hear his/her/its voice inside their heads.

Take 'god' out of the equation and it all falls apart. Or - as some might argue - if he/she/it actually existed, people wouldn't have to invent him/her/it.

Grrr...

Couldn't agree more. And I like the use of the small "g".
Ramshackle punk rock covers for all the family..............www.facebook.com/kerpunkuk

#25 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

These muslims would be better to look closer to their own problems and demonstrate about that. I see no demonstrations against the Syrians or the Taliban shooting an innocent schoolgirl or people. I dont see many Muslims standing up for the appalling way women are treated in muslim nations. If muslims want us westerners to respect them, then maybe they should respect for westerners. Throwing bricks, burning flags and abusing and even killing people are not ways to protest. I have no time for religion in any way shape or form ,but even less so when a number of their followers try telling me what I can and cant do. If I want to watch a certain film or say I think the Koran or the bible is a load of rubbish and that I dont care about Jesus or Mohammed I should be able to without fear of being attacked. The Muslim religion for me doesnt seem to be one that is very tolerant or allows difference of opinions.

#26 Mike S

Mike S
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

I think it easy brought up in a fairly non religious country such as the UK to not understand not just faith, but having the certainty that something is right

It is very difficult not to accept that freedom of choice is always the best option but we do of course have many laws and we have certain things that are clearly taboo.

We would accept paedophiles are wrong. There is no debate it is simple. Murder is wrong again nothing to discuss. It is simply a fact. But if one of the expectations of your life is to do good deeds and actions ie go on the haaj,. give to charity etc then these are facts. To move on a step if you are preparing for the next life then respecting your god is clearly a duty. That god exists to some is ridiculous and flies in the face of science to others it is simply a fact

Therefore that Mohammed must be respected is to many people a fact and it is as difficult to see why someone would disrespect a koran or make cartoons of the prophets. If someone does so and continues to do so then it should be easy to see why people are offended or more.

I am far from saying that we should have strict blasphemy laws but we should understand that the freedom to do what clearly offends millions may not be as basic a right as we take it to be. It is very difficult to be sympathetic to Salman Rushdie and others who know what they were doing.

Don't come back and ask me about the shooting of a 14 year old girl as I still agree there are levels and hardly anyone would suggest the Taliban have failed to understand the teaching they claim to study

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Mike, many people find many things offensive depending on where you live. We have a history of taking the pee and mocking authority. Other countries might not but I only live here.

I understand some people find things like this 'film' offensive but they have to make their point in a peaceful way. Not threaten to get the mob round.

Why is it hard to have sympathy with Rushdie? Personally I think he's a boring knob but he's still entitled to write a book without a death sentence being put on him.

Edited by Johnoco, 15 October 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#28 Mike S

Mike S
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Rushdie wrote a great book it's Midnight Children but what he was thinking about when he wrote Satanic Verses I cannot imagine. Maybe he thought the publiciity would be good which would rate as one of the all time misjudgements
Only the second book called I think 'Something happened' by Joseph Heller ( catch 22) where nothing happened until 2 pages from the end and anything by Leonard Cohen have been duller reads.

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

The book was allegedly boring, yes but surely that's irrelevant. Up to then there had been nothing like we see today so maybe he didn't expect to have his life threatened.

I was present at the Rushdie book burning and it totally changed my views on Islam.

#30 Mike S

Mike S
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

I could be corrected on the figure but Islam has over a billion followers and probably a few hundred have been involved in burning a book. Probably a lot more were pulped albeit not on the streets of Bradford. When does burning a book cease to be freedom of expression and become terrorism.?

I would imagine Europeans have burnt more korans over the years but I can't hate all of either group.

The difficult decision is do we prevent 'outrages against Islam' and have a more peaceful world. It seems sensible but it opens a real pandora's box and the answer does appear we should not. If we see the people protesting as nothing more than bully's the decision is much easier.

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Mike, the Rushdie book fatwa involved more than a few hundred people. Try hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

On the plus side, there don't seem to have been many "behead those who insult Islam" type placards. These lot are at odds with free speech and rather unaware of how much offence they cause in claiming that this film constitutes terrorism, but this a huge improvement on past "protests".

#33 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

I see no demonstrations against the Syrians or the Taliban shooting an innocent schoolgirl

There have been quite a lot actually, with regard to both cases.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

There have been quite a lot actually, with regard to both cases.

Yes there have been some in Pakistan I think.

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

On the plus side, there don't seem to have been many "behead those who insult Islam" type placards. These lot are at odds with free speech and rather unaware of how much offence they cause in claiming that this film constitutes terrorism, but this a huge improvement on past "protests".

That's true but its the threats about what might happen if Google don't shut it down that are the problem

#36 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

That may be because we've finally kicked some of the ringleaders out of the country! (And not let others in!)

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

I would imagine Europeans have burnt more korans over the years but I can't hate all of either group.

Book burning isn't really a European thing; at least not a Western European thing anyway. Nor is flag burning, which is big in the Middle East and some other Muslim countries. We don't really do effigies anymore. Which I think highlights one of the differences between certain Muslims and the rest of the UK. We've moved on. But a certain faction of Muslims are stuck in a different era. They need to move on.

The difficult decision is do we prevent 'outrages against Islam' and have a more peaceful world.

We should never appease. That did us no good just before the second world war. We don't need to hit back with the same language and angst but we should certainly not change our way of life any further than we have done already just to keep the yobs quiet. We wouldn't do it with any other group of people and we shouldn't do it with them either. They need to learn how to peacefully protest and how to accept the will of government while doing so because generally speaking that's what we do in this country.

Edited by Saintslass, 15 October 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

They are using free speech to protest about free speech.

In that they are no different to the people who stand for election on platforms that would reduce democracy.
- Severus, July 2012

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

They need to learn how to peacefully protest and how to accept the will of government while doing so because generally speaking that's what we do in this country.

The protest this weekend was peaceful and there has been no suggestion of civil unrest following it.
- Severus, July 2012

#40 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,120 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

The protest this weekend was peaceful and there has been no suggestion of civil unrest following it.

Is this the case though? What about the warning that they won't stop until they get their way?

I don't think we have heard the last of this yet.

Edited by Johnoco, 15 October 2012 - 08:55 PM.