Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Muslims Target Google

Protest

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

I read this as Muslims Target Goole.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#42 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,108 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

I read this as Muslims Target Goole.

by the look of the place somebody already has.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#43 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

They are using free speech to protest about free speech.

And?

I didn't suggest that they had no right to protest.

In that they are no different to the people who stand for election on platforms that would reduce democracy.

Who are these people

#44 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

I am far from saying that we should have strict blasphemy laws but we should understand that the freedom to do what clearly offends millions may not be as basic a right as we take it to be.

What exactly are the consequences of someone being offended?

Where is the line of offence drawn in the sand? Is it simply about not being allowed to offend religious people? Why is ok to offend some people but not others?

I just don't get it. If people are offended by words, or cartoons, or comedians, whoever... so what? Nobody gets hurt.

#45 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Who are these people

You'll find extremists on the right, left and religious wings of nutterdom standing on a platform of bringing about their utopia. Often it includes either dispensing altogether with representative democracy or severely restricting it.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#46 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

It is however very concerning that the BBC is now reporting that 'people have been arrested' trying to reach Malala Yousafzai - the girl shot in Pakistan by the Taliban who is now in a UK hospital.
- Severus, July 2012

#47 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

It is however very concerning that the BBC is now reporting that 'people have been arrested' trying to reach Malala Yousafzai - the girl shot in Pakistan by the Taliban who is now in a UK hospital.

Seriously?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#48 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

Seriously?

Seriously. Sky are reporting it too.

Overnight arrests. No further details.
- Severus, July 2012

#49 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

http://news.sky.com/...t-girl-recovers
- Severus, July 2012

#50 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

One big difference, I could walk down the road with a banner deriding the royal family or the house of lords, I could draw a cartoon of them or even write a book ripping the shoot out of them..

I doubt very much that you could. Barry Thew has just been jailed for four months for wearing an offensive T shirt about the police.

Most people would agree it was off the scale of offensive but after all it was only a T shirt and therefore more than obvious who was making the comment . Within 30 minutes or so he would have got a bloody nose for his troubles anyway - the police and the courts are now deciding what you can say on your shirt.

A free country we most certainly are not. We have sunk to the level of theocracies and despots everywhere.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

The difference there though is that he is a serial offender and broke the terms of his order, not necessarily because of what it said on his shirt. And he was unlikely to be attacked by a mob of pro-police enthusiasts either, which probably would be the case if wearing an insulting to Islam one.

I do agree with a lot of your post but we aren't quite that bad - yet.

#52 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Interesting one doing the rounds here today is to put '<social group> is/are' into Google and see what options/suggestions it offers. Try it with 'Muslims' - it's not very pleasant. Perhaps they DO have a gripe with Google?

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#53 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,108 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

http://www.telegraph...-Google-HQ.html

What to make of this?

They can get outraged about this but apparently no-one gives a toss about the young girl shot in the head by the Taliban for promoting education for girls? Isn't that more offensive? Not to mention the people already killed over this ludicrous affair? I also don't like the thinly veiled threats about 'pushing people too far'. It's some troublecauser, not even in this country....what has it to do with us?

I mean, I can see why they are offended but since when has that not been allowed?

I've been having some discussions with Muslims I know over about the last year and had decided I was too harsh and somewhat unfair. But I don't see where we can compromise on issues like this. If you don't understand the concept of free speech, there's not a lot of places we can go really.

I agree John
apart from the bit about lack of concern about the shot girl.
Keeping it local

#54 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,108 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

What exactly are the consequences of someone being offended?

Where is the line of offence drawn in the sand? Is it simply about not being allowed to offend religious people? Why is ok to offend some people but not others?

I just don't get it. If people are offended by words, or cartoons, or comedians, whoever... so what? Nobody gets hurt.

I find religion offensive(but not necessarily the religious)
Keeping it local

#55 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

I agree John
apart from the bit about lack of concern about the shot girl.

I was referring to the people on this march, although it might not have been clear. I know there has been protests against her shooting elsewhere.

I know we have previous on this matter but this is not just me stirring it mate. I think its a highly important matter that will run and run.

#56 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,108 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

I was referring to the people on this march, although it might not have been clear. I know there has been protests against her shooting elsewhere.

I know we have previous on this matter but this is not just me stirring it mate. I think its a highly important matter that will run and run.

I know John and I agree with you.
Keeping it local

#57 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

You'll find extremists on the right, left and religious wings of nutterdom standing on a platform of bringing about their utopia. Often it includes either dispensing altogether with representative democracy or severely restricting it.

I'm aware of that but I fail to see how comparing this lots of protestors to the BNP (or similar) is supposed to reasssure anybody.

#58 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

The difference there though is that he is a serial offender and broke the terms of his order, not necessarily because of what it said on his shirt. And he was unlikely to be attacked by a mob of pro-police enthusiasts either, which probably would be the case if wearing an insulting to Islam one.

I do agree with a lot of your post but we aren't quite that bad - yet.

Aplogies. The Indy has been running this story for the last couple of days and many of their correspondants have commented on it but not one has pointed out he has broken the terms of his order.

However what are his serial offences? Exercising his right to free speech? If they are all as offensive as his latest then perhaps he needs help/councelling rather than a jail sentence which is highly unlikely to stop him. Quite the reverse in fact.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#59 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

That may be because we've finally kicked some of the ringleaders out of the country! (And not let others in!)

Not before time.

But I agree the crazies seem to be keeping their heads down. Think what a difference it could have made if we had done something about extremist Islam in the 90s.

#60 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,622 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

Aplogies. The Indy has been running this story for the last couple of days and many of their correspondants have commented on it but not one has pointed out he has broken the terms of his order.

However what are his serial offences? Exercising his right to free speech? If they are all as offensive as his latest then perhaps he needs help/councelling rather than a jail sentence which is highly unlikely to stop him. Quite the reverse in fact.

He might need counselling as he seems to be a complete bell end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users