Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley Bulldogs 28 Dewsbury Rams 18 - discuss the match here

DEWSBURY VS BATLEY BOXING DAY

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#81 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

1. We still need a number 6
2. We will miss Patch
3. We are light in the forwards
4. Tommy Gallgher had a decent Xmas lunch
5. James Craven will once again end up being our player of the season
6. Batley are much betting at lying on at the play the ball than we are
7. Ten quid is too much for a friendly
8. Matthew Tebb is going to be a top notch player
9. Keegan Hirst was held back by Wozza
10. Even if the weather looks OK where two pairs of socks

2. We will miss Patch

My God - were things so bad ? :o

#82 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

They played like a team that's never played together. There was hardly any backing up, and the chase after the kick was very poor.

I still feel Akadaire is out of his depth and simply can't tackle. Once Austin gets back from injury, Akadaire won't get back in the side.

And £15 for a friendly is way too much!

Edited by Eddie_Rombo, 27 December 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#83 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

The referee had his own rule changes.
Not once did I see a Batley player play the ball correctly yet, the ref deemed this ok - absolutely rubbish!

Edited by Eddie_Rombo, 27 December 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#84 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Not once did I see a Batley player play the ball correctly yet, the ref deemed this ok - absolutely rubbish!

Really?

#85 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

The referee had his own rule changes.

Let's pan the ref then!! :lol: :lol: some things never change! :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#86 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Let's pan the ref then!! :lol: :lol: some things never change! :lol:

He spoilt what could have been a good game.

#87 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

Down to opinions I suppose. As a neutral I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Barring a few defensive lapses Batley were a class above yesterday, particularly their outside 4!
Dewsbury looked very disjointed and are a "work in progress" at the mo. We're 5 n afe weeks from the new season. I expected nowt else.
You may choose to pan the ref. I'll just get on with enjoying the rugby I saw. C'est la vie

#88 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Down to opinions I suppose. As a neutral I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Barring a few defensive lapses Batley were a class above yesterday, particularly their outside 4!
Dewsbury looked very disjointed and are a "work in progress" at the mo. We're 5 n afe weeks from the new season. I expected nowt else.
You may choose to pan the ref. I'll just get on with enjoying the rugby I saw. C'est la vie

I have to admit Batley were the better team - only slightly though!

#89 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Bit of a knee jerk reaction from some people but then that's nowt new for Dewsbury fans.

Think having four half-backs on the pitch at different times made it hard to build any momentum in the second half but GM was right to spell his play-makers and take a look at them all.

Schoey's worked hard during pre-season I've hear, but he seems to lack confidence and is a bit hesitant with the ball in hand. He did put a nice move on down the left in the second half though that nearly brought a try.

Think in Craven, Coleman, Spaven and Brown we've got the makings of a decent attacking spine and would like to see GM stick with one set of playmakers for the Fax game in January and see how they get on.

We'll miss Patch's kicking, but I'm already happier with Brown and Coleman for attacking options. Coleman looks like he'll pivot a lot of the moves next season, but he needs the ball a bit quicker from acting half if it's going to be effective.

Distribution was a bit slow but think we've got a good 'un in Wrighty, and Tebb's come on leaps and bounds even if he caught the old white line fever in the second half and bombed a last tackle!

Like the way Lillycrop takes the ball in - reminds me of a wider Adam Robinson! And Morton has a bit of Bryn about him, needs to put on few pounds though.

Didn't think we'd get as many minutes out of Aizue, he made good yards and draws defenders to him even before the ball is played. Could be a right signing!

Think you're being a bit harsh on Akaidere. He did a lot of good stuff, and carried the ball well. Do think he needs protecting under the high ball due to his height though.

Think the comment about out pack being lightweight is a bit silly as its probably the biggest pack weve had since England and Hist were at the Rams. We've still got Esposito and Jonesy to come back, and they're both easily 100kg+

And Eddie ----- they played like that because it IS their first game together!!!!

#90 Flying 5

Flying 5
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

We also need to get Tommy G off the Xmas puddings and get him offloading again!

#91 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Batley were miles better, we are two games from the new season and can't think of one aspect of the game where we played well.

#92 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

When asked how the game went my reply was along the lines of "Batley looked better with the ball in hand but need some tweaking in defence. Dewsbury still need a fair bit of work to get anywhere near up to speed". i.e more than just tweaking!
But IT'S THE FIRST FRIENDLY!! lots of work WILL be done before the season starts!!!

#93 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

New team new players it will take time. I thought Wright, Tebb, Lillycrop, Craven, Spicer, Brown all played well. Aizue will be a good signing once fit. IMO Coleman and Gallagher looked out of shape too.

#94 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Not a bad guess but slightly low on all counts!

Except the attendance, but hey, that's only a detail!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#95 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 766 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Batley were miles better, we are two games from the new season and can't think of one aspect of the game where we played well.

Well I thought we did very well with what is a brand new squad, almost. If Batley were miles better where is the evidence. 5 tries to 4, Batley at home, we missed 4 kicks at goal Batley missed one. Had the kicks gone over it would have been 30-24.Miles better my a**se!

#96 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Lightweight pack meaning they were outmuscled on defence and attack in comparison to Batley. No-one could accuse some of the Dewsbury forwards of lacking weight quite the opposite, they looked out of condition two games from the start of the season.

#97 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Sad but true. I think what showed the most was that many of their players knew each others' game whereas none of ours were in tune with each other. This was shown most by our kicking game which was OK if there was any chase whatsoever.

Can someone tell me where Coleman was meant to be playing? It seemed to be a floating scrum-half/stand-off/loose forward - a bit like Ellery Hanley but nothing at all like EH, if you know what I mean. I remember when we took a stand off (Murphy) and played him as a prop; from the appearance of Coleman we are playing a prop as a half-back.

There was a lot of surplus timber on show yesterday - that would never have happened in Warren's golden days.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#98 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Speaking from the other side of the valley, and with my match reporter's hat on, I think you are being quite harsh on your own team. They looked a little overwhelmed in the first 15 minutes, but I actually believe the Rams looked a lot more coherent with Coleman on. That little spell between 15 and 30 minutes saw Dewsbury stem our attack after it looked like we might wallop you. You won the second half 18-10 and probably deserved to. The reason we won was more experience, a better back-line and the fact that we controlled the game at the key periods. As has been pointed out, had you kicked better the score would have been a lot closer.

We'll finish higher up the ladder than you, but based on some of the teams in the division, I don't think a top-half finish is out of the question for the Rams.

Oh, and Eddie ... the referee actually had a reasonable game yesterday. His touch judges didn't help him much though.

#99 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

+1

#100 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Morrison: We got what we wanted out of Boxing Day