Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley Bulldogs 28 Dewsbury Rams 18 - discuss the match here

DEWSBURY VS BATLEY BOXING DAY

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#101 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I might be being harsh but we are two games from the start of the season. We have players who are frankly fat, lack a proven goal kicker, lack a good field kicker who can put kicks deep, lack leadership (not sure who was captain yesterday and the fact it's not obvious is the point), Craven aside the backs look ordinary and the forwards dont look like they will trouble many teams. Batley did enough to win, each time we got close, Batley stepped up a gear and went up the slope to score and they have a number of good players on the sidelines.

Lot more to be worried about than to be happy with. But that's my opinion and I would be more than happy to eat my words if we start the season well.

#102 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

It was a typical Boxing Day affair and we played poor all the first half improving in the second.
From our performance it's clear there is big room for improvements. Batley played like a decent team, but if I was Kear, I'd be wondering why Batley didn't win by a much bigger score line.

My mini analysis is that Batley blew them selves out in the first half and we couldn't cope. In the second half we made the most of it, but the mountain was simply too high.

Plenty of negatives to work on, a few positives to build on.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#103 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

dont forget its the first competative game together, thought they played ok. To many unforced errors early on, resulting in scores for Batley
The introduction of Coleman only seemed to confuse everyone as he wanted to be stand off, scrum half and loose forward all at once, he was all over the place and not very effective.
Think the half backs had to do to much tackling especially Brown who played about 75 mins I think.
Glen needs to sort his preferred 6 and 7 and get them working more together and the results will improve.

#104 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

We could be delusional and say what will happen in the season, and make excuses saying what would have happened if something went differentley, but the fact is the better team won yesterday, defence was ok as a whole, Batley didn't break the line and score, and goal kicking wasn't brilliant, but on the whole the lads played very well because we are a young side with a new manager, GM not being a coach for more than a year or so I believe, playing against a.more experienced top 5 side
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#105 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,075 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

I thought our defence was poor overall. Too many players were allowed to spin away from impact and the number of times they got the ball out of the tackle was legion.

A lot to work on before the season starts and I'm not feeling as hopeful as before this match.

Lets' hope that Wakefield Ram and I can be found wearing the dunces' caps at the season's end.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#106 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

I thought our defence was poor overall. Too many players were allowed to spin away from impact and the number of times they got the ball out of the tackle was legion.

A lot to work on before the season starts and I'm not feeling as hopeful as before this match.

We covered the play of the ball which allowed them to pass the ball out wide, that was due to the fact that they was right up our goal line, to prevent the dummy half scoot from causing problems usually, such as scoring tries and all.

As for working on certain aspects, that is what friendlies are for really for, the negatives will be worked on, the positives will be built on, and hopefully, next season will be better than the previous one

#107 giveuplinno

giveuplinno
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Lets not jump to rash conclusions chaps. I wasn't at the game on Boxing Day so don't shoot me down in flames, after my comments please!
1 - This was the first time we have played together in a match intense environment.
2 - We may have lost, but reading match reports and other comments on this site, it seems we were far from disgraced?
3 - Some comments say our lads looked unfit? Maybe so, again I can't comment, but match fitness comes after playing matches, and the more they play the fitter they get.( the lads will be fit trust me, match fitness will improve as intensity increases,but the season is still a while off yet and full contact work will get rid of the mince pies!)
4 - Like card players, you don't show your hand! leave em guessing Glenn!
5 - Win a boxing day fixture or do the double in the season???????
6 - Think we will see a much improved effort on the 6th, at which I will be in attendance, so I will comment further after and say it as I see it
If all ive just typed is poop, then fair do's.
DTID

#108 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,075 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Not unfit - fat! At least two players were carrying a lot more than a couple of training sessions will work off.

I'm not panicking but have grown used to many disappointments over the years that pessimism may be ingrained.

:( :(
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#109 giveuplinno

giveuplinno
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

which were the fat lads then???

#110 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

which were the fat lads then???

Coleman, and Gallagher. Coleman is supposed to be a half-back but looked more like a prop!

Aizue seemed unfit as well.

#111 giveuplinno

giveuplinno
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Aizue is about as old as stanley gene though! (104?)

#112 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Aizue is about as old as stanley gene though! (104?)

Stanley Gene is 38, and Aizue will be 35 on the 30th December!

#113 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Stanley gene is 38 what? Inch neck? Inside leg? IQ?
38 my big wobbly ginger botty! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#114 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Stanley gene is 38 what? Inch neck? Inside leg? IQ?
38 my big wobbly ginger botty! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enlighten us then Mr. know it all!

#115 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Know it all? Me?? Nah! Not me gov! :lol:

#116 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Know it all? Me?? Nah! Not me gov! :lol:

Thought not!

#117 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Never profess to either

#118 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Stanley has never produced a birth cert. Best guesses fail to pin his age and there are estimates from anything from mid 30's to late 50's. Essentially no-one knows for sure.
I'm happy to offer a guess and my suggestion of "38 my wobbly ginger botty" stands!

#119 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Coleman, and Gallagher. Coleman is supposed to be a half-back but looked more like a prop!

Aizue seemed unfit as well.

Coleman? Fat? What fat? A bit bit of timber yes, but not fat, and as for Gallagher, he's being like that for ages, I went to Leigh away and was surprised when I saw Gallagher, saying that it was a couple years ago since I saw him last before Leigh away.

#120 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Coleman? Fat? What fat? A bit bit of timber yes, but not fat, and as for Gallagher, he's being like that for ages, I went to Leigh away and was surprised when I saw Gallagher, saying that it was a couple years ago since I saw him last before Leigh away.

Both of them have always carried a bit of weight, especially Gallagher. I remembr Karl harrison saying that he was always a talented player whose body had let him down. He will still do a job for you though. Coleman looked a little weighty too but I am sure he can soon get in shape. He was always a big lad too,going right back to his student days for Leeds Met. However, he does not rely on pace for his game. I think he might become the centre of everything your team does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users