Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley Bulldogs 28 Dewsbury Rams 18 - discuss the match here

DEWSBURY VS BATLEY BOXING DAY

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#121 giveuplinno

giveuplinno
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Stanley Gene is 38, and Aizue will be 35 on the 30th December!

he was 38 when he left huddesfield!!

#122 giveuplinno

giveuplinno
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

my origional post was ment to mean, give the boys a chance. If we have a fatty pie slinging slugger that can back it up then lets have it! will be about time we had some guts in the side.
Bring on the fax!

#123 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

There has been a lot of positive spin put on the Dewsbury signings but in all honesty the vast majority are unproven young players from now defunct academy SL teams - these are not world beaters by any stretch. I think expectations are unrealistically high.

Posted Image

#124 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

The best things to come out of these games is getting the players some much needed match practise and getting used to some set plays.Positives out of theBatley was the players didn't fall a part after been 18-0 down,i'm sure they will look sharper in the Halifax game,remember how excited we all were after winning the Boxing Day game last year, and theseason we ended up with,things takes tell to gel,that's why we have friendly games,lets enjoy seeing the team improve week on week.

#125 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Except the attendance, but hey, that's only a detail!

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#126 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Both of them have always carried a bit of weight, especially Gallagher. I remembr Karl harrison saying that he was always a talented player whose body had let him down. He will still do a job for you though. Coleman looked a little weighty too but I am sure he can soon get in shape. He was always a big lad too,going right back to his student days for Leeds Met. However, he does not rely on pace for his game. I think he might become the centre of everything your team does.

Coleman will be a star for you.

Keighley should have built a team around him. He was a very good player whenever he played for us.

#127 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Coleman will be a star for you.

Keighley should have built a team around him. He was a very good player whenever he played for us.

Impressed me on boxing day, I saw a video of him and I was a fan of him then due to what I saw. The video was a Keighley one like
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#128 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Rambo, my thoughts exactly. We are a weaker team than last and we have a coach new to CC rugby and new to being a head coach. We will be up against settled, experienced sides with experienced coaches with bigger playing budgets and squads. We finished seventh last season, logic suggests we will do well to match that.

The good news is Fev aside we have some winnable games at the start of the season, so it will be a chance to build some confidence and hopefully get some wins under our belt.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 28 December 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#129 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Can't be a better time to face Fev? Early in the season before the newbies have had time to settle in?
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#130 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

FFs wonder when the moaning brigade would start up.If we lose against fax and bfd they will deffo be calling for the coaches head.Echo whats been said first match young side its a shame Batley was the first of the friendly games.When the season starts it will be a different performance .The young lad from cas could go to 7 jy to 6 and Brown to 13.Either way lets not get too depressed yet.

#131 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Well I thought we did very well with what is a brand new squad, almost. If Batley were miles better where is the evidence. 5 tries to 4, Batley at home, we missed 4 kicks at goal Batley missed one. Had the kicks gone over it would have been 30-24.Miles better my a**se!

I've got to agree with you Young Un.

#132 dogga

dogga
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

he was 38 when he left huddesfield!!

diddnt they play against the touring barla side in 1982
union whats that?

#133 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 795 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

(not sure who was captain yesterday and the fact it's not obvious is the point)

Glenn's not appointed one yet.

Aizue seemed unfit as well.

I thought he put in a great shift.

we have a coach new to CC rugby and new to being a head coach

GM was head coach of Wakefield under-20s last season, and his assistant played at Championships level for 14 years.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but may I remind the moaners of this time last year, when a new head coach signed a wealth of players ahead of Boxing Day and saw his side comfortably beaten by their local rivals.

The losing team went on to finish 5th - 15 points clear of the winners!

#134 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I think the Rams fans are panicing far too early (give it till easter at least). I may come and cheer on the ex Dogs at the next game against fax. How much is it in and can I park next to the entrance 5 minutes before kick off time?

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#135 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 795 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Blast from the past

#136 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Both of them have always carried a bit of weight, especially Gallagher. I remembr Karl harrison saying that he was always a talented player whose body had let him down. He will still do a job for you though. Coleman looked a little weighty too but I am sure he can soon get in shape. He was always a big lad too,going right back to his student days for Leeds Met. However, he does not rely on pace for his game. I think he might become the centre of everything your team does.

Nigh on fifty years I've supported em, and in all that time I can't ever remember us having a stand off who did (Frannie was probably the fastest). I hope to live long enough to one day see a quick and exciting stand off in a rams shirt - might rely on huge advances in medicine though. :o

#137 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Nigh on fifty years I've supported em, and in all that time I can't ever remember us having a stand off who did (Frannie was probably the fastest). I hope to live long enough to one day see a quick and exciting stand off in a rams shirt - might rely on huge advances in medicine though. :o

Remember though GOR that TG is really a loose forward, though signed on to us as a utility forward, but is brilliant at stand off, although most loose forwards can play at stand off

Edited by Kelsey The Ram, 28 December 2012 - 01:36 PM.

"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#138 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Remember though GOR that TG is really a loose forward, though signed on to us as a utility forward, but is brilliant at stand off, although most loose forwards can play at stand off

He's not brilliant at stand-off. He played one game there and took the opposition coach and his team - who couldn't alter their tactics to deal with a big man at halfback, by surprise. Karl Harrison realised that his Barrow heroics were purely a one-off that would fail if repeated, and didn't play him at 6 ever again.
Neither is he a loose-forward anymore, and he hasn't been for years. Earlier on in his career - whilst even then a big lad, he was able to get away with playing at 13, but now he's essentially an impact prop and nothing else.

#139 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Robin- most of your team have more experience of playing at Ram Stadium than the Dewsbury side. We have a lot more new players than Fev and many have little experience at CC level.

Tom - okay to be precise GM is new to being a head coach of a professional adult side rather than Academy and he has neither played or coached in CC. Lots of optimism that he is the new messiah. We have lost Flanagan, Esders, Crossley, Blake, Hood, Faal, Walker, Sngleton from last season and the ones we have recruited have mostly to prove themselves yet.

#140 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Robin- most of your team have more experience of playing at Ram Stadium than the Dewsbury side. We have a lot more new players than Fev and many have little experience at CC level.

aye. But more likely to get a result on your patch early season before we get into the "rhythm" say in July when form is much more obvious???
Regardless I'm lookin forrad to it.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users