Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

No more Steeden..

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Rhino become official ball supplier for SL..

The RFL and Super League (Europe) Ltdhave agreed a three-year contract withRhino that will see the contact and training equipment company become the official ball supplier for all Super League and Championship club matches until the end of the 2015 season.

Rhino, who supplied the post protectors for Super League and RFL matches in 2012, have been the official supplier of training equipment to St Helens in recent years, as well as supplying teamwear to a number of rugby league clubs.

RFL Commercial Director James Mercer said he was delighted to welcome Rhino to the sport’s expanding stable of commercial partners.

“I would like to congratulate Rhino on winning what was a very competitive commercial process to become the official ball supplier to Super League and the Championships,” said Mercer.

“Rhino are an established brand in rugby union and we look forward to working with them over the next three years as they look to replicate that success in Rugby League.”

Rhino Chief Executive Reg Clark commented: “This is an important breakthrough for Rhino and follows on from us being appointed official ball supplier to the British and Irish Lions for the second successive tour and to the RaboDirect PRO12 competition.

“We are very excited about this partnership which gives us immediate contact and coverage of Rugby League clubs at all levels of the game – from community upwards.”

On the strength of this close association, Rhino expects to gain valuable credibility in the sport and is planning to grow a significant share of the market in balls, team- and training-wear over the next three years.

Steeden will remain the offcial ball supplier to international games hosted by the RFL as well as the RL World Cup in 2013.

Photo: James Mercer (RFL) and Andrew Moss (Rhino) in foreground, with Gary Linke (RFL), Martin Johnson, Tony Colquitt and Reg Clark (all Rhino) left to right behind.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#2 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

"Rhino are an established brand in rugby union and we look forward to working with them over the next three years as they look to replicate that success in Rugby League.”
Rhino Chief Executive Reg Clark commented: “This is an important breakthrough for Rhino and follows on from us being appointed official ball supplier to the British and Irish Lions for the second successive tour and to the RaboDirect PRO12 competition."

Made for kicking then...

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Bring back Gilbert's 8 panel beach ball I say...
Posted Image

#4 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

i always liked Steeden rugby balls.. better than any other rugby ball i've used. Hopefully Rhino will be as decent..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#5 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Bring back the Mitre balls with no studs caked in ####. Would love to see the modern day players so called better handling skills

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,248 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Bring back the Mitre balls with no studs caked in ####. Would love to see the modern day players so called better handling skills

bring back the original rugby balls that had carrying handles I say
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#7 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

what about them placky orange balls that we used as kids, they'd liven up the kick on the fifth tackle. especially if it were windy lol

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,686 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Probably will be the same ball with a different name as most rugby balls are now made in sweatshops in India.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

Foam balls, I say. The players would risk less injury then. It's farcical that hard leather balls and shoulder charges are still in our game!
Posted Image

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Foam balls,

Didn't someone try that in the Grand Final?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#11 manofthematch

manofthematch
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

what about them placky orange balls that we used as kids, they'd liven up the kick on the fifth tackle. especially if it were windy lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#12 manofthematch

manofthematch
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

Probably will be the same ball with a different name as most rugby balls are now made in sweatshops in India.

I must have missed that documentry :o

#13 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

i always liked Steeden rugby balls.. better than any other rugby ball i've used. Hopefully Rhino will be as decent..

As an amateur Rugby League player I really like Steedens. I own a Super League 'The Steeden' Match Ball, the type they used in the early 2000s and its a fantastic design for throwing about. I hope the new (?) Rhino balls are Rugby League specific balls, the quality of the Steeden 'Symmetry' that is currently used in the NRL and Super League. I wouldn't like to see Super League using the same balls they use in the RaboDirect PRO12, as they're designed for RU and I personally prefer the flight of a Rugby League specific ball when it is passed.

http://gnsports.digitalvirtue.net/products/steeden/balls/match-balls/nrl-telstra-premiership-match

http://www.rhinorugb...tch-ball-P.html

Seeing as they're machine made I think it's more likely they're made in hi-tech factories with far smaller production factories in Japan/South Korea/South East Asia rather than Aus or in the West, however somehow I don't think they're handstitched in India. :lol:

I like still like the Adidas Torpedo they use in the ITM Cup in NZ and the Heiniken/Amlin Cups in Europe however as they're Rugby Union balls they would be too 'fat' to be used as Rugby League balls.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#14 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

it is surprising that a lot of people do not know that league and union balls are different, I hope rhino realise!

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

Didn't Sheffield just use standard Gilbert balls during the late 90's?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#16 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

As an amateur Rugby League player I really like Steedens. I own a Super League 'The Steeden' Match Ball, the type they used in the early 2000s and its a fantastic design for throwing about. I hope the new (?) Rhino balls are Rugby League specific balls, the quality of the Steeden 'Symmetry' that is currently used in the NRL and Super League. I wouldn't like to see Super League using the same balls they use in the RaboDirect PRO12, as they're designed for RU and I personally prefer the flight of a Rugby League specific ball when it is passed.

http://gnsports.digitalvirtue.net/products/steeden/balls/match-balls/nrl-telstra-premiership-match

http://www.rhinorugb...tch-ball-P.html

Seeing as they're machine made I think it's more likely they're made in hi-tech factories with far smaller production factories in Japan/South Korea/South East Asia rather than Aus or in the West, however somehow I don't think they're handstitched in India. :lol:

I like still like the Adidas Torpedo they use in the ITM Cup in NZ and the Heiniken/Amlin Cups in Europe however as they're Rugby Union balls they would be too 'fat' to be used as Rugby League balls.

Happy, you're talking "balls" again! ;-)

#17 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

it is surprising that a lot of people do not know that league and union balls are different, I hope rhino realise!

I sent them a message on Twitter last night to check :)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#18 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

I'm pretty sure they will have an idea...
Posted Image

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

I'm pretty sure they will have an idea...

This is unlikely. I doubt any of them have read an internet messageboard.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#20 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Don't bring back the Grey and Blue Kukri ball used in the National Leagues about five years ago. Couldn't see the bl00dy thing.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users