Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

No more Steeden..

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Happy, you're talking "balls" again! ;-)

Well I like... D'oh! :lol:

The first Rugby game I went to was Englamd/Wales at the RLWC '95, however I didn't really start getting into RL properly until about 2009. When I first joined TRL (in '09) I didn't really realise the differences between RL balls and RU balls. Now playing/training in both codes the differences are very noticable.

I hope the tenure process looked into the design of the ball rather than the Au$70 - Au$80 (guestimate) per ball of Steedens. ;)
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#22 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'm pretty sure they will have an idea...

They seemed pretty blank when i rung them yesterday for a quote. To be fair the announcement had only just been made so maybe the info just needs to trickle down from "up high"

#23 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

Probably will be the same ball with a different name as most rugby balls are now made in sweatshops in India.

There was actually an article in the Sydney press not long ago. Investigation over a few months revealed that the balls used in some other codes here were made in some atrocious conditions but no mention of Steeden.

Possibly still made in Aus because knowing the press over here, if there was even a sniff of child labour involved in the RL process then they wouldn't have held back.

#24 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

Pretty poor as Steeden is a RL company in the same way Kookaburra is a cricketing company... Getting sold out for a Union mob is bad form from the RFL

Edited by kioli, 17 October 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#25 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

There was actually an article in the Sydney press not long ago. Investigation over a few months revealed that the balls used in some other codes here were made in some atrocious conditions but no mention of Steeden.

Possibly still made in Aus because knowing the press over here, if there was even a sniff of child labour involved in the RL process then they wouldn't have held back.

Every Steeden ball my son has says "made in India".
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Pretty poor as Steeden is a RL company in the same way Kookaburra is a cricketing company... Getting sold out for a Union mob is bad form from the RFL

Not at all. Whoever can provide the best service for the best price should get the gig.

In the same way that the likes of Adidas supply products instead of the likes of kookaburra in cricket.

#27 Mikeyg

Mikeyg
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Don't bring back the Grey and Blue Kukri ball used in the National Leagues about five years ago. Couldn't see the bl00dy thing.

God, I remember training with those. They had the most lethal grip bobbles on them - it was like catching sandpaper.

#28 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

No room for sentiment in business mate. Rhino offerred the best deal, and they will rightly got the gig.
Posted Image

#29 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

http://www.mudgeegua...-in-sweatshops/

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#30 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

its very difficult keeping tabs on factories over in parts of Asia. i work in an industry that deals with these factories on a regular basis.. all factories we deal with have to go through a strict process to qualify, but often over a period of time these factories will look to outsource some of their work to ease their workload, this is where 'sweatshops' sometimes come into play.. we've had instances of well known and well respected factories getting caught out in this fashion.. it happens less and less these days and most companies working with these factories work hard not to let it happen. As bad as it seems to us, in large parts of Asia its considered the norm and not such a bad thing, hence the continuous troubles..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#31 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Not at all. Whoever can provide the best service for the best price should get the gig.

In the same way that the likes of Adidas supply products instead of the likes of kookaburra in cricket.

Bang on! I'm guessing they will retail about £40 - £60 for 1 ball at retail price, rather that £90 for a Gilbert Virtuo used in the Aviva [RU] premiership, but I'm sure the RFL will have worked ot a really good deal for buying in bulk. Hopefully the training balls will retail for £8 - £ 12 as Steedens currently do.

Seeing as they're based in Somerset, I wonder if Somerset Vikings and Bristol Sonic [I know Bristol isn't Somerset, but close enough] will manage to wing themselve some really good deal? :D

Btw, its not exactly 'the end' of Steeden in RL, as I'm guessing they will be used in the Challenge Cup next year, the RLWC 2012 Balls are Steedens, and the Aussies will still use Steedens at all levels.

The Rhino CEO talks about 'Community RL' on the Super League website but I expect us amateurs will be using the good old £10 Steeden Match Balls, which are excellent balls if the grip hasn't worn off.

Edited by HappyDave, 17 October 2012 - 12:28 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#32 brooza

brooza
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Btw, its not exactly 'the end' of Steeden in RL, as I'm guessing they will be used in the Challenge Cup next year, the RLWC 2012 Balls are Steedens, and the Aussies will still use Steedens at all levels.

Rhino will be supplying the Challenge Cup balls as well
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#33 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Rhino will be supplying the Challenge Cup balls as well

Are you sure? As that's not how the press release reads. No mention of the NR Cup or Rugby League Nines either.

I meant RLWC 2013. Oops!

Edited by HappyDave, 17 October 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#34 brooza

brooza
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Are you sure? As that's not how the press release reads. No mention of the NR Cup or Rugby League Nines either.

I meant RLWC 2013. Oops!

This is where I got it from: http://www.sportspro...xEscmI4.twitter

Sports equipment and apparel brand Rhino Rugby is to become the official ball supplier to the Super League, the Challenge Cup and all domestic rugby league competitions for the next three seasons.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#35 brooza

brooza
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

http://www.rhinorugb...re/blog/?p=1019

The Rugby Football League and Super League Europe have today announced three year deals with Rhino Rugby in respect of match balls for the Super League, the Challenge Cup and all domestic rugby league competitions. This represents a significant breakthrough for Rhino not just in the rugby league code but also in the rugby ball product area.

#36 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

[attachment=3940:match ball..jpg]

#37 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Not all factories in India are illegal sweatshops you know...
Posted Image

#38 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

This is where I got it from: http://www.sportspro...xEscmI4.twitter

Yeah, saw that a little bit earlier. I guess that means all amateur Summer RL comps from next year and Winter comps from the 2013-2014 season onwards will use Rhino balls?

I must admit I thought modern Rugby balls were factory made in SE Asia. Didn't realise Steeden balls were made in India.

Edited by HappyDave, 17 October 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#39 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Not all factories in India are illegal sweatshops you know...

True,just to show that they are made in India, when on poster thought they weren't.

#40 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

True,just to show that they are made in India, when on poster thought they weren't.

Yep, my mistake.