Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

No more Steeden..

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Actually the Rhino Vortex Pro sounds interesting (technologically-wise) and looks similar to a Steeden Symmetry. Anyone on TRL trained or played a game of either on the Rugby Football codes with Rhino Rugby balls?

http://www.rhinorugb...tch-ball-P.html

Edited by HappyDave, 18 October 2012 - 11:27 AM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#42 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Whatever you may think of the decision to dump an RL company in favour of one associated with RU, there is something positive about this deal, a decent RL mention in the Times' business pages.

Page 48 of today's paper features the deal, worded as a 'breakthrough ..deal with the Rugby Football League and Super League Europe to supply match balls for the Super League, the Challenge Cup and all domestic rugby league competitions.' Quite something it would seem.

Apparently the chairman of Rhino, Andrew Moss, was former chief executive at Aviva who obviously sponsor the English RU Premiership. He obviously sees value in the sport, hopefully he found the RFL a decent organisation to deal with, and maybe someone like that can help get other companies on board with the game.

Edited by foozler, 18 October 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#43 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Support British Business. B)

Edited by HappyDave, 18 October 2012 - 06:21 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#44 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Just received this message from Rhino Rugby:

The Rhino Vortex XIII match ball is specifically designed for the league code and was extensively tested by the RFL as part of the approval/appointment process.

Fret ye not. ;)

#45 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

http://www.mudgeegua...-in-sweatshops/

Cheers for finding it.

Like I said, no mention of Steeden, just the balls made for AFL & Union.

Edited by kioli, 20 October 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#46 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

Support British Business. B)

May as well light your cigars with $100 notes. ;)

#47 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

At least the RFL are finally being open about their relationship with Headingley and Hetherington...

#48 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

At least the RFL are finally being open about their relationship with Headingley and Hetherington...

Spot on,balls to everyone else. ;)
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#49 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

What the fudge has that got to do with a new Ball supplier?? :huh:

#50 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

What the fudge has that got to do with a new Ball supplier?? :huh:

Erm...Rhino....Rhinos....

#51 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Erm...Rhino....Rhinos....

Ah! Weak joke.

#52 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Ah! Weak joke.

Yes, but one that I've been trying to figure out how to make for the last few days...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#53 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,703 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Bang on! I'm guessing they will retail about £40 - £60 for 1 ball at retail price, rather that £90 for a Gilbert Virtuo used in the Aviva [RU] premiership, but I'm sure the RFL will have worked ot a really good deal for buying in bulk. Hopefully the training balls will retail for £8 - £ 12 as Steedens currently do.

Seeing as they're based in Somerset, I wonder if Somerset Vikings and Bristol Sonic [I know Bristol isn't Somerset, but close enough] will manage to wing themselve some really good deal? :D

Btw, its not exactly 'the end' of Steeden in RL, as I'm guessing they will be used in the Challenge Cup next year, the RLWC 2012 Balls are Steedens, and the Aussies will still use Steedens at all levels.

The Rhino CEO talks about 'Community RL' on the Super League website but I expect us amateurs will be using the good old £10 Steeden Match Balls, which are excellent balls if the grip hasn't worn off.

Edited by Marauder, 22 October 2012 - 10:09 AM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#54 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,703 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Whatever you may think of the decision to dump an RL company in favour of one associated with RU, there is something positive about this deal, a decent RL mention in the Times' business pages.

Page 48 of today's paper features the deal, worded as a 'breakthrough ..deal with the Rugby Football League and Super League Europe to supply match balls for the Super League, the Challenge Cup and all domestic rugby league competitions.' Quite something it would seem.

Apparently the chairman of Rhino, Andrew Moss, was former chief executive at Aviva who obviously sponsor the English RU Premiership. He obviously sees value in the sport, hopefully he found the RFL a decent organisation to deal with, and maybe someone like that can help get other companies on board with the game.

Lets hope the quality of the product is as good.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#55 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Yes, but one that I've been trying to figure out how to make for the last few days...

Few days? Or a weak? <_<
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#56 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

Why? Just because they won the Grand Final?

#57 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Why? Just because they won the Grand Final?

No, just because they've got the same name

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#58 lionwolf

lionwolf
  • Facebook
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

Is Tony Colquitt still on the board at Leeds Rhinos if so is it a conflict of interest

#59 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Is Tony Colquitt still on the board at Leeds Rhinos if so is it a conflict of interest

When did he join the board at Leeds?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#60 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

No, just because they've got the same name

Fair enough. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users