Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

No more Steeden..

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Is Tony Colquitt still on the board at Leeds Rhinos if so is it a conflict of interest

Is he the former Saints bloke? Isn't he now involved with Gloucester or one of the other new teams?

#62 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

Is he the former Saints bloke? Isn't he now involved with Gloucester or one of the other new teams?

Was at Saints, former executive with Gilette, now at the Oxford club.

#63 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

Is Tony Colquitt still on the board at Leeds Rhinos if so is it a conflict of interest

He's at Oxford RL now. How is a ball manufacturer supplying balls for the best price a conflict of interest anyway?
Posted Image

#64 brooza

brooza
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

How is a ball manufacturer supplying balls for the best price a conflict of interest anyway?

Because Leeds run the RFL
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#65 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Because Leeds run the RFL

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#66 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Are these the balls summer amateurs will be using next year?

Match Balls:

http://www.google.co...iw=1366&bih=638

Training Balls:

http://www.google.co...iw=1366&bih=638

The Rhino Vortex XIII was used in the Oxbridge Varsity match earlier in the year but I guess that is the 'cheaper' model as the Vortex XIII is RRP at £30 and the 'Vortex Elite' [Rugby Union version used in the RaboDirect Pro12] is RRP £90? Or does that just mean the RL balls are lower quality? :huh:

http://www.rhinorugb...ore/blog/?p=510

Think I'll buy myself a Rhino Tornado XIII training ball to see how it compares to Steeden training balls.

Edited by HappyDave, 23 October 2012 - 11:22 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#67 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Had my first look at the Rhino balls yesterday and have to say they are not a patch on the Steeden balls. Steeden's have much more grip and the Rhino feels slightly heavier.

Noticed at the weekend Saints using a Steeden in their game against Salford also..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#68 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Watched 5 games with the new balls and have not heard one comment , good or bad from the players .

#69 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

Watched 5 games with the new balls and have not heard one comment , good or bad from the players .

Youre not looking in the right place!

On Twitter, someone complimented the Salford and Saints players on twitter for good handling in poor conditions on friday. The Salford players (Gibson and Broughton I think) replied saying that it was because they were playing with a yellow Steeden ball! There have been a few other grumbles from players on twitter too.

#70 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Had my first look at the Rhino balls yesterday and have to say they are not a patch on the Steeden balls. Steeden's have much more grip and the Rhino feels slightly heavier.

Noticed at the weekend Saints using a Steeden in their game against Salford also..

I must read previous posts more carefully! Yes they played with a Steeden, I assume because Rhino havent provided a yellow ball yet! As already posted, a few players commented on it being better to handle despite the arctic conditions.

#71 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Youre not looking in the right place!

On Twitter, someone complimented the Salford and Saints players on twitter for good handling in poor conditions on friday. The Salford players (Gibson and Broughton I think) replied saying that it was because they were playing with a yellow Steeden ball! There have been a few other grumbles from players on twitter too.

Would be interesting to compare the offloads and errors stats from Friday night when Saints used a Steeden and Wire/Hudds used a Rhino.

Anybody have these comparisons - I know these stats are on SL Fulltime?

#72 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Would be interesting to compare the offloads and errors stats from Friday night when Saints used a Steeden and Wire/Hudds used a Rhino.

Anybody have these comparisons - I know these stats are on SL Fulltime?

Having looked at the Super League website and the error stats on there, the error counts were as follows:

Warrington v Huddersfield - Rhino Ball used
Warrington errors - 17
Huddersfield errors - 15
Total errors - 32

Warrington offloads - 12
Huddersfield offloads - 7
Total offloads - 19

St Helens v Salford - Steeden Ball used
St Helens errors - 8
Salford errors - 12
Total errors - 20

St Helens offloads - 6
Salford offloads - 6
Total offloads - 12

There concludes the hugely unscientific research that conclusively(!) proves that the Rhino ball causes more errors!

Obviously its not as black and white as that but i was surprised at the difference in the two. Warrington do tend to play a more carefree style, shown in the offloads made, which does result in more errors.

Interesting nonetheless (even if it can be easily dismissed as coincidence!)

Edited by Southstander13, 27 March 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#73 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Having looked at the Super League website and the error stats on there, the error counts were as follows:

Warrington v Huddersfield - Rhino Ball used
Warrington errors - 17
Huddersfield errors - 15
Total errors - 32

Warrington offloads - 12
Huddersfield offloads - 7
Total offloads - 19

St Helens v Salford - Steeden Ball used
St Helens errors - 8
Salford errors - 12
Total errors - 20

St Helens offloads - 6
Salford offloads - 6
Total offloads - 12

There concludes the hugely unscientific research that conclusively(!) proves that the Rhino ball causes more errors!

Obviously its not as black and white as that but i was surprised at the difference in the two. Warrington do tend to play a more carefree style, shown in the offloads made, which does result in more errors.

Interesting nonetheless (even if it can be easily dismissed as coincidence!)

Cheers - it is interesting, unfortunately it's quite difficult to make a reasoned point due to the massive difference in playing styles, as you say, Wire are pretty well known for having a high error count.

It does show that St Helens played a very conservative game on the night.

The ratio of offloads to errors was nigh on identical in both games.

#74 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

quite conicidently i'm sure, but on this weeks SL show Brian Noble commented on how impressive the handling and low error count was for Saints and Salford in such obviously bad conditions.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#75 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,126 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

I can't decide if I like this or not...

tetleys-cup-ball.jpg

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#76 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach