Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squad age

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

I've had a few emails and messages asking about the average age of our squad.

By the start of the 2013 season we'll have full profiles of every player on the official website, but until then here's some info:

Aizue 34
Hepworth 31
Gallagher 29
Buchanan 28
Spicer 28
Coleman 24
Craven 24
Jones 24
Akaidere 22
Schofield 22
Spaven 22
Tebb 22
Cosgrove 21
Morton 21
Spiers 21
Scott 21
Tonks 21
Brown 20
Hale 20
Lillycrop 20
Wright 20
Beckett 19

Average age: 23

#2 STEVE P

STEVE P
  • Coach
  • 707 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

An average age of 23 seems quite young, especially when you reckon that the oldest amongst them won't be expected to be on the field for at least half of the time, and I don't reckon we've signed him to be a steadying influence anyway. Its my main worry about next season. As somebody once said, (might have been Alex Murphy) 'if you're good enough, you're old enough', but the Championship is, I think, the toughest division from the point of view of players having to man-up and look after themselves. I hope we have the steel that is needed, especially in defence.

The trouble these days is that results have to come straight away. Its no longer possible to build a future on the field by starting with a young side and developing them as a unit. The end of season player merry-go-round which now happens every year has put paid to that.

However we will see what happens, and despite my reservations I am looking forward to the new season more than I have for a while.

Edited by STEVE P, 18 October 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#3 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

An average age of 23 seems quite young, especially when you reckon that the oldest amongst them won't be expected to be on the field for at least half of the time, and I don't reckon we've signed him to be a steadying influence anyway. Its my main worry about next season. As somebody once said, (might have been Alex Murphy) 'if you're good enough, you're old enough', but the Championship is, I think, the toughest division from the point of view of players having to man-up and look after themselves. I hope we have the steel that is needed, especially in defence.

The trouble these days is that results have to come straight away. Its no longer possible to build a future on the field by starting with a young side and developing them as a unit. The end of season player merry-go-round which now happens every year has put paid to that.

However we will see what happens, and despite my reservations I am looking forward to the new season more than I have for a while.

Good post Steve. It'll be interesting to see if we can build a squad over a few years in the current climate.

It seems to me like there's a definite group of five players at the top of the list who will be in the 17 every week if fit. And aside from Aizue, who as you rightly say will probably be utilised as an impact player, I think we have four senior guys in that top group with proven experience and leadership qualities.

It's hard to believe that Tonks is still only 21!

#4 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Good post Steve. It'll be interesting to see if we can build a squad over a few years in the current climate.

It seems to me like there's a definite group of five players at the top of the list who will be in the 17 every week if fit. And aside from Aizue, who as you rightly say will probably be utilised as an impact player, I think we have four senior guys in that top group with proven experience and leadership qualities.

It's hard to believe that Tonks is still only 21!

But didn't we buy Tommy Gallagher as a utility player?
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

There is clearly still a gap in the squad which needs filling by a more experienced player/team leader. Spicer might be labelled as such but, to be fair, he's not the most vocal player and didn't really have his best season last year, so I'd like to see a key recruit filling this role.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 muddyfunster

muddyfunster
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Still think we should be looking at Scott Murrell (unless he's been signed up elsewhere) think he would fill the gap?

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/

name.png

#7 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Still think we should be looking at Scott Murrell (unless he's been signed up elsewhere) think he would fill the gap?

Halifax.

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hull.

(this is one of those word-association games isn't it?)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

I think Halifax signed him up I believe.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users