Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

spread the word

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Its time for all us Townies to spread the word again and get the non believers back to Derwent Park.We will need support next season like we havent had for a long time, the bod are doing their bit ,soon it will be time for us fans to do ours.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#2 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

Couldn't agree with you more bomber. The board are working minor miracles to give Workington a club to be proud of and it is up to the fans to convince ex-fans, etc, that they are worth supporting and get them through the turnstiles.

A few weeks ago I stated on here that Town would welcome any fan that would like to join the board of directors and that invite still stands. There are 4 directors and two associate directors and they could do with some help. You don't have to have pockets full of money to join the board but as long as you can help share the workload in some way you will be welcomed.

On another level Town have shares available in the club at £5 per share. There is a minimum share purchase of £100 (i.e.20 shares) if anyone wants to "own" a small bit of our club. Every little helps now we've moved up a division.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#3 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Couldn't agree more it's amazing the extra revenue an additional 100 people per game over a 13 game season would generate. The bigger the crowds the better the team you'd think.

How do people go about getting shares, I don't get to many games but that doesn't sound a bad idea.

Edited by GeordieTownie, 17 October 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#4 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

How do people go about getting shares, I don't get to many games but that doesn't sound a bad idea.

Just ring the club and they will keep you right.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#5 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

thanks for the shares idea Keith ,has anyone one else any good ideas to help the Town??
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#6 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

I think we could organised 1 or 2 car boot sale,s in the summer i think some clubs already do that?????

#7 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

How about a Sunday morning market in the summer months? When Gretna soccer club ran one I recall it proved very successful with the club taking money over the bar and with catering, plus money from stalls.

#8 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

i hope the club really pushes to get some youngsters through the gates next season,perhaps some cut price deals for kids to get them back and hopefully keep them interested in supporting Town.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#9 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Ive said this for the last few years t kids set price andults set price student should be in the middle ov the both ive got mates who go collage n some times to the town games but most off the time they say cant go im skint n im not paid that much!!!!!!!!!

#10 pensioner

pensioner
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

thanks for the shares idea Keith ,has anyone one else any good ideas to help the Town??

I know people will think that this is a bit cheeky, but what about joining one of the supporters clubs.

I know many on this forum are already members of one or other of the supporters groups and as chairman of The Travellers Rest some may think that this is a bit self serving but trust me it isn't. I can't speak for other groups but can tell you that The Travellers have raised an enormous amount of money over the years, this coming season, as last, we're giving a set amount each month so that the board have a reliable source of income rather than a donation here and there. It only costs a fiver to join, admittedly you don't get much for that other than knowing you've made a donation to the club; but every extra member means the possibility of a few extra people attending a function or travelling to an away match etc, it can make a difference at the end of the season.

I know supporters clubs aren't for everyone but every extra member is most welcome, and I'm not talking about the travellers here it's any supporters group, I know we might not be everyones cup of tea!

Another idea, if I may be so bold is to get together and sponsor a game. We have sponsored games over the years but this year were committed to an amount each month so couldn't guarantee enough funds to agree to a sponsorship. The committee simply saved a couple of quid each week and did a sponsorship as a group of friends rather than as the club, we were a bit late taking this up, I know others have been doing it for some time. We're still saving and intend to do two next season, it's a great day win or lose and I can recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, anyone wanting any details contact me on 07702 707085 email trsc@tesco.net or contact any committe member, we'll be delighted to hear from anyone. Can I also ask members of any other supporters group to reply to this and add their contact details, lets get behind the club in any way we can.

Edited by pensioner, 18 October 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#11 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

nice one pensioner.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#12 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

i will be contacting Barry Scholey to arrange some sponsorship,and a season ticket :)
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#13 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

I have already paid for my season ticket bomber and pensioner put me down for membership of the TRSC and I will pay at the next VP evening.

#14 town88

town88
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

Can you still join th vp club?

Edited by town88, 18 October 2012 - 10:14 AM.

CLUB HONOURS championship Winners: 1950-51 Beaten Finalists: 1957-58 Challenge Cup Winners: 1951-52 - Beaten Finalists: 1954-55, 1957-58 Western Division Championship Winners: 1962-63 Lancashire cup winners 1977-78- Beaten finalists 1976-77, 197879, 197980 Second Division/Divisional Premiership Winners:1993-94 Beaten Finalists;1992-93.

#15 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Can you still join th vp club?

Yes. It's £25 to join (and you get a VP club tie) and £10 per year thereafter and there is some very good evenings with guest speakers to attend plus Hall of Fame induction evenings. Contact Tony Boyd.

#16 pensioner

pensioner
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

I have already paid for my season ticket bomber and pensioner put me down for membership of the TRSC and I will pay at the next VP evening.

Will do Keith, thanks for your support and welcome to the TRSC.

#17 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 821 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

one idea get a group of 5 put 20 pounds a month each after 5 month every 1 has a hundred share,s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users