Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

James Graham voted best prop in the world

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Grahams not even the best prop in the NRL let alone the world. James Tamou has been outstanding. The fact that the Bulldogs had such a great year probably swung it plus the fact there are so many Aussies in! But if its international player of the year why is Barba getting such award? Which country does he play for because it aint Australia! Craig Bellamy is a top coach but he doesnt coach any International side so how come he gets the award? RLIF once again making a mess of things! Seriously the awards from the RLIF should only be for Internationals not domestic comps. The NRL already have the Dally M etc

#22 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

I watched alot of NRL this year, Tamou, Shillington, Merrin and Kassiano are a class above him in my opinion, I think this list is a complete joke.
St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#23 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

I think Graham was a revelation in the NRL but the International Federation awards are just wrong on so many levels. The awards are really just NRL awards with token others included and each year have come up with ridiculous top player awards which have nothing to do with Internationals. On the sort of plus side, the awards do remind us that the Federation is run by people with NRL club interests potentially for people with NRL club interests, and they do make me laugh each year.

#24 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Chris Monaghan got away with a gratuitous assault on Sinfield's head in the GF and wasn't even put on report, to put Graham's alleged offence in perspective.

Who? Presumably you mean Michael Monaghan and his unintentionally late challenge, made during the course of the game? To even compare that with Graham's odious off-the-ball bullying is laughable.

#25 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

:lol:

Good input from the unbiased Saintslass there.

#26 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

I saw the footage and I saw Slater's ear. The two are not automatically and necessarily connected. There was handbags at dawn going on all around. How do you know that James Graham had anything whatsoever to do with the biddy cut on Slater's ear? That's right, you don't. And since Slater opted not to provide medical evidence to support his claim to have been bitten - probably because said evidence would have ensured his claim was thrown out instantly - there is no way to back up claims either way, is there?

Graham's mouth is see in the vicinity of Slater's ear. Slater makes immediatte reference to being bitten. If you believe those two situations to be unrelated, then Lord preserve us.

#27 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Typical English RL fans here. 2 players from england get in the side. One of them gets slated saying he's not the best prop in the world ect saying he shouldn't get in the side. The other nobody will even mention him because they can't think of a reason to slate him. We've got 2 more players than the kiwis in the side and everyone of those players they are named with would walk into nearly every club side in the world. Let's be slightly positive at least.

#28 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Without going over too much old ground, the mark on Slaters ear looked nothing like a bite mark and more like a scratch. Im not saying that there wasnt necessarily contact between teeth and ear, but in my opinion he didnt intentionally bite Slater, and the mark on slaters ear could have been caused accidentally . To take the evidence as it is and suggest Graham should be thrown out the game is hilarious!

Secondly, having watched the NRL all year he is without doubt up there with the best, his stats prove this. He deserves to win this award.

#29 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

Who? Presumably you mean Michael Monaghan and his unintentionally late challenge, made during the course of the game? To even compare that with Graham's odious off-the-ball bullying is laughable.

Sorry, Michael. Unintentional? :D :D :D Not only was it intentional, it included a head but to Sinfield's chin!
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#30 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Without going over too much old ground, the mark on Slaters ear looked nothing like a bite mark and more like a scratch.

Serious?

What’s the difference? Are you an expert in this field?

#31 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,460 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Well you aren't are you? An expert in the field wasn't even consulted at the hearing. No surprise really because then Slater might just have been found out.

#32 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Serious?

No Im not an expert, and id assume neither are you.

Whats the difference?! Between intentionally biting someones ear and accidentally making contact with Slaters ear whilst giving him verbals (as James Graham claims)? Thats a huge difference!

Look, im neither saying he is guilty or innocent, I just dont think the video conclusively proves anything, and the mark on Slaters ear look more like a scratch than a bite.

I dont know what happened, and i dont claim to be an expert, I just looked at the evidence and the facts and dont think its as clear cut as some suggest.

#33 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

No Im not an expert, and id assume neither are you.

Whats the difference?! Between intentionally biting someones ear and accidentally making contact with Slaters ear whilst giving him verbals (as James Graham claims)? Thats a huge difference!

Look, im neither saying he is guilty or innocent, I just dont think the video conclusively proves anything, and the mark on Slaters ear look more like a scratch than a bite.

I dont know what happened, and i dont claim to be an expert, I just looked at the evidence and the facts and dont think its as clear cut as some suggest.

I meant what is the fundamental difference between a bite and a scratch mark, in layman's terms. Enlighten us.

I'm not an expert but I'm also not disputing anything I've seen, whereas you are.

#34 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

I meant what is the fundamental difference between a bite and a scratch mark, in layman's terms. Enlighten us.

I'm not an expert but I'm also not disputing anything I've seen, whereas you are.

Im not disputing anything ive seen, i watched the match live, ive seen the replays, ive seen the photos of Slaters ear, i read the defence Graham gave. Having read and seen everything, I am still of the opinion that it wasnt an intentional bite, the disciplinary committee disagreed which is fair enough. Like I said, its only my opinion.

Bite marks generally have circular or oval shape bruising, a bite can result in scrape marks so potentially that could be the cause of the mark on Slaters ear, but if you've seen the picture, the mark is so small that it would suggest that a single tooth came in to contact with the ear without a bite taking place. There are no other marks on Slaters ear suggesting that no other teeth came in to contact with it.

During the hearing it was revealed that James graham has a few broken and sharp teeth, and also a fake lower incisor which is removed during a game. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that Slaters ear was scratched by Grahams tooth during the tussle, they werent stood still and there was a fair bit of pushing and shoving going on at the time.

I can quite happily say I could be wrong, but I dont think its clear cut like a lot of people seem to think. Taking into account his previous record too then its a big jump to brandish him a thug and banish him from the game forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users