Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Town Fans to Away Games

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Does anyone know how many fans Town took to away games on average last season - a bus load, 2 bus loads?

Someone on the main forum is suggesting the 4 promoted sides will only take a car load of fans to away games and therefore severely dilute average attendances. I think this is wrong.

I know a few hundred will have gone to Haven and Barrow, but what about the other normal League games?

#2 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

at haven there was always a bus full to every away game and more in cars i,d say we took at least 100 to every away game

#3 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Theres usually 2 buses (travellers rest & red house)then theres a few cars aswell
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#4 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,545 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Yeah bombers right, at town games there's always a bus load from red house and the travellers then a good few cars. Town and barrow definately had the best away support in our league last year and I bet there isn't too many that travel up to Cumbria from certain sides next year.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#5 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Ask them how many they expect to bring to cumbria twice a season, as opposed to us having to travel twice a month.

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

We're really welcome aren't we ? We've got coaches like Powell saying we'll dilute standards , now we're diluting attendances . Think they may be surprised on both fronts. Sheffield won the comp and it would be interesting to see they're average attendance and travelling support . In fact the chamionship as a whole didn't seem that well supported . Lets see how many bother to traipse up here . That's why a minority don't want Cumbrian teams in ... It's just such a long way to come , outside of our cosy little M 62 corridor when you can set off at 1 o'clock ...

Edited by DavidM, 18 October 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#7 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Thanks to all for your replies.
I'll go back to challenge those who just want to put the Championship clubs in their place, and be-little anything positive. They argue that the promoted clubs will be taking no more than a car load of supporters to away games that average attendances in the Championship will suffer.
Barrow's attendances probably were only beaten by Featherstone and Halifax and about on a par with Leigh, makes me think the average will go up rather than down.
In addition, Town and Haven probably were ahead of Swinton, York and Hunslet and on a par with Dewsbury, Batley and Sheffield.
Anyone have the averages for last season?

#8 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

i can guarantee you next season fax fev leigh will fetch 2-300 with them tops the rest will be poor i,d guess haven town and barrow will be the next best away supported teams the rests support is no better than champ1

#9 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

And we are the most vocal...
North Wales had a decent following.

#10 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 557 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

aye your noisy buggers we are when where tanked up after a 3 hour journey pity its cack at home and at DP

#11 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,545 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

I would say other than crusaders we had the noisiest bunch of fans. At barrow, donny, Rochdale and haven we out sang them on there own patch. I was well impressed with our vocal support as were our players.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#12 pensioner

pensioner
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Does anyone know how many fans Town took to away games on average last season - a bus load, 2 bus loads?

Someone on the main forum is suggesting the 4 promoted sides will only take a car load of fans to away games and therefore severely dilute average attendances. I think this is wrong.

I know a few hundred will have gone to Haven and Barrow, but what about the other normal League games?

The Travellers Rest Supporters Club attended every game last season, including pre-season friendlies. For the record we took a coach to every game apart from our very near neighbours where everyone makes their own arrangements.

For London Skolars and South Wales Scorpions we could only manage a 16 seater community minibus (driven by yours truly) but all other games had a coach with an average attendance in the high thirties. This was pushed down by the usual problems of people on holiday, travelling to both Gateshead and Doncaster mid-week and the poor attendances for the Northern Rail fixtures. On four occasions we had a full bus and had to turn down people because we couldn't get a larger vehicle at short notice.

Not bad for a small club which is slowly and steadily turning things around, ask yourself how many would have travelled to London and South Wales from the Championship clubs; not too many I suspect. We have never missed a game, everyone of our London and Wales trips has had our support, not always as many as we would like but it's an expensive business when you include our Challenge Cup weekend as well.

We at Town will not dilute the competion in any way, neither in terms of quality and sheer determination on the pitch or the full blooded support by our fans! Mind you I have to admit that I cannot sing a note and it's probably best if I keep quiet during the games (never happens though).

Edited by pensioner, 18 October 2012 - 05:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users