Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oh Dear! Salford in bother

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#261 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

I didn't think HMRC had joined yet, They weren't represented at the hearing today.

The original petition was withdrawn.

#262 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

By any measure the game is in better shape that it has been for many years - and I have been a fan since 1957.

Wrong Internationals in the 90s regularly had crowds of up to 70,000 watching unlike today. Has their ever been a period in the game where so many teams in the top division have gone in administration or had court order against them? And the game is in a very shaky state financially and I dont see how you can say that its never been in better shape. Theres rumours most weeks with clubs having problems. The clubs and RFL are killing the game at many levels with their selfish decisions and narrow thinking. Getting rid of the U20s to save money. forcing amateur clubs to play in summer etc. While you may think that the game has never been in better shape many dont

#263 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Wrong Internationals in the 90s regularly had crowds of up to 70,000 watching unlike today. Has their ever been a period in the game where so many teams in the top division have gone in administration or had court order against them? And the game is in a very shaky state financially and I dont see how you can say that its never been in better shape. Theres rumours most weeks with clubs having problems. The clubs and RFL are killing the game at many levels with their selfish decisions and narrow thinking. Getting rid of the U20s to save money. forcing amateur clubs to play in summer etc. While you may think that the game has never been in better shape many dont

Or looking at it another way, has there ever been a period in the games history when the tax man has pursued sports businesses with the so much vigour for unpaid bills.

Clubs have a long history of leaving tax bills in the bottom draw, it just happens that these days the revenue man is a bit more vigorous in chasing unpaid bills.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#264 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

One thing that annoys me is think about how much money has gone into the pockets of so many average overseas players in the past 10-15 years.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#265 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

stop signing them then.....simples

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#266 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

stop signing them then.....simples

Correct.

Fortunately, we appear to be moving away from the mindset that "Even a poor overseas player is better than no overseas player".

It always surprises me that in the soccer transfer window, not signing a player is seen as a weakness/failure - if you are happy with what you have, or nothing better is available then stick with it.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#267 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20125182

It looks like Patten and Anderson are having to chase the club to get money they are owed. It looks like the court see the issues that have led to the winding up order as not especially urgent though given the adjournment date.

#268 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Wrong Internationals in the 90s regularly had crowds of up to 70,000 watching unlike today.

Interesting. Can you help fill in the post-1990 gaps in my records? My Rothmans data only goes to the 54k at Wembley on 27 Oct 1990, the 46k at OT on 10th Nov 1990, and the 32K at Elland Rd Nov 1990 with 32k. Won one, lost two.

As for the rest, financially the game was on its knees in the 1st half of the 1990s as clubs struggled to match Wigan.

Edited by JohnM, 31 October 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#269 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

never know 70,000 crowds in my life for international RL.

#270 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Interesting. Can you help fill in the post-1990 gaps in my records? My Rothmans data only goes to the 54k at Wembley on 27 Oct 1990, the 46k at OT on 10th Nov 1990, and the 32K at Elland Rd Nov 1990 with 32k. Won one, lost two.

As for the rest, financially the game was on its knees in the 1st half of the 1990s as clubs struggled to match Wigan.

I was going to raise this point.

In 1992 we had 72k for the World Cup Final.
In 1994 we had around 56k (Davies' wonder try game).
In 1995 we had around 66k for the World Cup Final.

The comment 'we regularly had up to 70k' was slightly out IMHO, as the reality is that the 90's delivered many lower crowds than that.

This decade we have had a few 40k crowds - this IMHO is the figure that we need to start working towards on a consistent basis.

#271 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

never know 70,000 crowds in my life for international RL.

One - 72k in 1992. Not sure how old you are to be fair!

#272 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

This decade we have had a few 40k crowds - this IMHO is the figure that we need to start working towards on a consistent basis.

Overall there has been a big decrease in average attendances at Test matches. GB/England versus Australia/New Zealand had an average attendance of 37,656 from 1990-2000, but the period 2000-2010 has an average of 24,228 which is a drop of 40%.

Undoubtedly some of this is down to unambitious choices of small stadiums but the overall trend is downwards.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#273 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Maybe saying regularly was out but certainly International crowds were way higher and the game had a way higher profile than it does this century. Playing at Wembley a number of times helped and should have been built upon. And clubs have gone bust in any era or had many troubles that have seen court appearances, but the amount in the top league has likely never been as high as the past couple of years (Wakey, London, Crusaders, Bradford and Salford) To believe the game has never been in a better shape simply for me is not true at all and the game is very much at a junction where the wrong decisions could seriously take the sport backwards as a whole and not forwards. The decision to axe the U20s for example has to be one of the worst decisions to have been made for a long while. The decision to force the amateur clubs to play in Summer also is for many a poor decision. The Challenge Cup is struggling to get many fans interested except in the final

#274 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Overall there has been a big decrease in average attendances at Test matches. GB/England versus Australia/New Zealand had an average attendance of 37,656 from 1990-2000, but the period 2000-2010 has an average of 24,228 which is a drop of 40%.

Undoubtedly some of this is down to unambitious choices of small stadiums but the overall trend is downwards.

Yep. I agree with your last line too.

In every series I would look to stage a showpiece game, outside of the normal venues.

They did this in 2003/4 playing at MCFC and got 38k, and did it last year at Wembley and got over 40k.

#275 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

The Challenge Cup is struggling to get many fans interested except in the final

Same can be said of the playoffs bar the final. It's partly the "season ticket" culture and the fact that people seem to think only one match matters - the final. Not too sure what can be done there, football seems to have a similar problem with it's cup comps.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users