Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oh Dear! Salford in bother

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#21 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

I think this post is meant as a joke, but it's hard to tell nowadays

I don't think it is a joke and to some extent I have to agree with him. London Broncos are not exactly in the pink, the skolars are a joke, ditto, crusaders, south wales and I don't expect any of the three 'expansion' clubs to be anything other than struggling on attendances of 2-300 within a couple of seasons. Gateshead are a bunch of whipping boys.

This whole expansion will, eventually, come home to bite RL in the backside. I have always thought it would and have never had reason to change my mind.

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

I don't think it is a joke and to some extent I have to agree with him. London Broncos are not exactly in the pink, the skolars are a joke, ditto, crusaders, south wales and I don't expect any of the three 'expansion' clubs to be anything other than struggling on attendances of 2-300 within a couple of seasons. Gateshead are a bunch of whipping boys.

This whole expansion will, eventually, come home to bite RL in the backside. I have always thought it would and have never had reason to change my mind.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Keeping it local

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,548 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

It was a joke
Not the greatest but a joke

Salford are a historic heartland club but have struggled for years: they were one of the most notorious yo to clubs.
Keeping it local

#25 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

The BBC article I read says they are 'subject' to a winding-up petition but doesn't suggest that they've entered into administration. Is that a real possibility though?

#26 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Sounds like a storm in a tea cup from what I could gather from the news bulletins on Radio Manchester tonight, dispute with a sponsor/management company, still its something for the doom and gloom merchents to get there teeth into with various end of the world scenerios as the knees jerk into action.

#27 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

London Skolars are NOT a joke. They've fought a hard battle over the years but I dare say their average crowd last season was in the same region as those heartland giants from Oldham & Rochdale. They also finished just behind both of those this last season and along with North Wales will push them both hard next season.
As for the expansion clubs - Hemel Stags are a fantastic Rugby League club with teams from 4/5 year olds all the way up to the big boys. They've supplied a large amount of the Broncos current youth setup and Sarginson and Dixon from their first team. Hemel have put in more hard work and have achieved more - and will continue to do so - than many two bob heartland clubs.
Ignore the ineptitude of the Broncos administration, there really is something special happening in the South East as far as Rugby League goes it just saddens me that so many Northern RL fans can never take their blinkers off. Stand alone and you'll die alone

#28 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

http://www.loverugby...p-petition.html

By the sounds of it the guy is a clown. They should pay him off and say "Good riddance...".

Case closed.

Stewpot: YAWWWWWWN.

Edited by HappyDave, 18 October 2012 - 05:41 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

stewpot, expansion won't come back to bite RL on the ###### but staying still definitely will.

Its not an either/or choice; its the only choice.

#30 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

The investment that Salford RLFC are waiting for is from Peel Holdings, who, it seems, are williing to pay off the debts and run the club, but they are not prepared to pay anything for the club to the current owner, and that is why the situation is currently a stalemate!
PS Most people judge the state of Rugby League by what happens at Super league clubs, but there is plenty of hard work being done to promote the game by the so called "joke clubs" that would put many heartland clubs to shame, but its happening in schools and at amateur level. Where do you think Super League players come from? I would love Sky to pull their money out of Super Greed and then we would really say which clubs are a joke and which ones are not!

#31 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,293 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

London Skolars are NOT a joke. They've fought a hard battle over the years but I dare say their average crowd last season was in the same region as those heartland giants from Oldham & Rochdale. They also finished just behind both of those this last season and along with North Wales will push them both hard next season.

I agree with you that Skolars are no joke but the average crowd thing is way off.

#32 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

it's a joke, a laughing stock and a farce
when are people going to realise that Rugby League is a Northern game?

Salford are a Northern team CLOWN, love to know what your going to say when the RFL scrap licencing and bring back P + R because thats what will happen. Your either going to have to admit the RFL are the fools we have been saying all along, or admit your a complete clown and have been talking utter shiiite all these years. Cant wait. By the way you dont do sarcasm very welll make yourself look even more idiotic if that is remotely possible

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Clearly this forum is proving a little too much for you. Try lying down for a while.

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

BRING BACK GB.

ASK ANYONE.

#35 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Salford are a Northern team CLOWN, love to know what your going to say when the RFL scrap licencing and bring back P + R because thats what will happen. Your either going to have to admit the RFL are the fools we have been saying all along, or admit your a complete clown and have been talking utter shiiite all these years. Cant wait. By the way you dont do sarcasm very welll make yourself look even more idiotic if that is remotely possible

Whoooosh! as the forum saying goes

#36 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,922 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Are stewpot and LOWFIELD RLFans regulars or something?

Opinions mean nothing without offering a solution.
Posted Image

#37 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

If you bother to make a journey SOUTH of Crewe, you will see that we are no joke.We are in this for the long haul. We are more dedicated to the game than many in the 'Heartlands' because we have to be to get it off the ground and make it work. We travel further in one year for games then many of you will travel in three.There are lessons to be learned on the way, for sure but it will be worth it in the long term.
Cardiff Demons ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc
Cardiff Spartans ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/southcoastspartans

Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth! BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS......!

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

Are stewpot and LOWFIELD RLFans regulars or something?

Apparently its the latest government initiative for care in the community, you let people roam other forums first to see if they can hack communicating with real people.

Stewpots heading 'home'.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#39 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

If you bother to make a journey SOUTH of Crewe, you will see that we are no joke.We are in this for the long haul. We are more dedicated to the game than many in the 'Heartlands' because we have to be to get it off the ground and make it work. We travel further in one year for games then many of you will travel in three.There are lessons to be learned on the way, for sure but it will be worth it in the long term.

I happen to agree with you mate. There's been some tremendous work done. I'm a big fan of the way Hemel have come through and can see the potential in the Hertfordshire area as well as others.
You will quickly learn on these forums though that there tends to be 2 camps.
One will tell you it'll all fail cos you've no history behind you and not enough infrastructure - the other lot will tell you that it'll all fail if you haven't several million quid and 10k gates.

A curse on both their houses!

One example of the way so called established clubs do not seem to take the game seriously, is the way the SL clubs have simply dumped their greed on the championship clubs by using them as feeder teams just to save themselves a few bob.

They should certainly take a leaf out of the many areas developing the game and working hard at it.

#40 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

Gateshead are not a waste of time either. They have been shafted twice, once when they had to compete in SL with no TV money and then were forced to amalgamate with Hull to save Hulls bacon.

They started a second club, won CC1, were, promoted, stayed up but then some dispute over shares saw their money man quit and they requested demotion and have struggled to survive ever since but survive they have. If you have been paying attention they are signing up quite a few new players for next season and should do better, especially ina revamped CC1.

The amateur game in the North East is very impressive, probably the best on heartlands area outside of London.

Crusaders are not a waste of time either. They have been shafted twice but are still alive and kicking. They had a decent season last year and are building further this year. Clive Griffiths is one of the best coaches in the whole of RL. They are aiming for 600 season tickets( I think I read that somewhere ) They are hosting a WC quarter final next year. The amateur game in the area has grown since they moved North. I think they too will be a force in CC1 next season

I wish Oldham and Rochdale and Hunslet and Swinton and York all the best but these expansion clubs have much more to offer than these souless feeder clubs and one who staggers from crisis to crisis and whose ground, whilst a step up from having no ground, is the worst on the whole league.

The way these clubs survive against incredible odds and who seem to be prospering set an example of perseverance and survival skills these struggling SL clubs like Salford and Castleford would do well to emulate.

The premier expansion club, the shining star of expansionism in the UK is Sheffield but there is a whole other thread about them.