• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#61 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,606 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

I looked this up...

Clowns are stereotypically characterized by colored wigs, stylistic makeup, outlandish costumes, unusually large footwear, and red noses.

I've always meant to look out for you at Leeds Akkies matches. It should be easy now I know what you look like Ange.

I'll be there. I'll be the guy with the exploding dickie bow and the pint of landlord.
I lost touch with the Akkies because of my increasing work load at fev. That's no longer an issue.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#62 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

I ask myself the very same question on a regular basis Parky....and you are right, I get far more enjoyment from watching the amateur game these days and the standard is far better than CH1

Well can't comment on the standard but let's take Leeds where I know a bit.

We have a club, Hunslet that have no assets, few fans and spend all they can to just get a team on the pitch.

We also have a club Hunslet Warriors who are amateur, have teams at all levels, and always put on a great show for the fans.

I know which of the two are more fun and better for Rugby League if one had to choose.........

Edited by The Parksider, 19 October 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#63 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

exactly

look up the word irony in your ladybird dictionary.

Thats the problem you dont do sarcasm or irony very well do you. What are you going to do when P + R is brought back as it is going to be in 2015?

#64 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Oldham 606 Skolars 547 Rochdale 502 does this help in any way - from Shaum Mac

Take out the figures for the game just before the Challenge Cup final. Skolars attract a bumper crowd for one game a year because they get a lot of speccies who are in London for the Cup final. It boosts their average (and good luck to them) but it doesn't show that there are more speccies in North London than in Rochdale.

#65 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

I'll be there. I'll be the guy with the exploding dickie bow and the pint of landlord.
I lost touch with the Akkies because of my increasing work load at fev. That's no longer an issue.

No youl be the guy stood by himself

#66 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

It's all relative isn't it. For a club like Oldham to be down to 500 people wanting to pay to watch is sad, for clubs miles from the heartlands to get 500 paying to watch is good.

That I agree with.

#67 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

and that's what it's all about-enjoyment.

I admire Chris hamilton greatly and I see where you have coming from, but surely the 'running down' is over and the rebuilding of the club has started.
the 'old' Oldham were a classice example of the yo yo syndrome, up one year down the next with their stadium rotting away around them.

When the 'new' club was set up by CH in 1997, over 3000 watched it play Rochdale in a pre-season law cup final game. Crowds are now down to 600 and the club has had numerous winding up orders and a debt last calculated at c£300k. You obviously haven't been to Whitebank which makes Sheddings look like a palace!! So what do you admire about Chris Hamilton so much?

As you are aware, the 'old' club had been in the top flight for a number of seasons prior to going bust. However, I would give my right arm to be back as a 'yo, yo' side of 20-30 years ago....and so would about 3000-4000 others I suspect!

Edited by sheddings69, 19 October 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#68 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,606 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

When the 'new' club was set up by CH in 1997, over 3000 watched it play Rochdale in a pre-season law cup final game. Crowds are now down to 600 and the club has had numerous winding up orders and a debt last calculated at c£300k. You obviously haven't been to Whitebank which makes Sheddings look like a palace!! So what do you admire about Chris Hamilton so much?

As you are aware, the 'old' club had been in the top flight for a number of seasons prior to going bust. However, I would give my right arm to be back as a 'yo, yo' side of 20-30 years ago....and so would about 3000-4000 others I suspect!

I've been shown around white bank by Chris hamilton, for an article I wrote for Rugby League World.
I admire his refusal to be beaten, his hard work, his positive attitude. On a personal level I enjoy his company.

It was being a 'yo yo' side 20-30 years ago that was at tyhe heart of the club's demise. I think 3-4000 is a little optimistic, and in any case didn't have any effect on thee club's dire financial status at the time.
as for the sheddings, much of the ground wasn't even usable in the period you mention because neglect had made it dangerous. I loved the score board and feel it should have been preserved.

Posted Image

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 19 October 2012 - 09:58 AM.

Keeping it local

#69 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,606 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thats the problem you dont do sarcasm or irony very well do you. What are you going to do when P + R is brought back as it is going to be in 2015?

carry on enjoying my rugby league, like I did before p and r, during p and r, during the various(why did they keep changing the format?) manifestations of p and r and during the super league era.

HTH
Keeping it local

#70 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

Take out the figures for the game just before the Challenge Cup final. Skolars attract a bumper crowd for one game a year because they get a lot of speccies who are in London for the Cup final. It boosts their average (and good luck to them) but it doesn't show that there are more speccies in North London than in Rochdale.

cheers. Another way of looking at it is that for nearly all games Oldham and Rochdale would have got bigger away followings. If you want to strip out the Friday Night Lights game you could also take out the the Oldham-Rochdale derby games for a truer showing of actual support. Which ever way you cut it it's a fact that the two traditional clubs in CC1 next year do not have much better support than the Skolars (especially Hornets)

#71 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

I've been shown around white bank by Chris hamilton, for an article I wrote for Rugby League World.
I admire his refusal to be beaten, his hard work, his positive attitude. On a personal level I enjoy his company.

It was being a 'yo yo' side 20-30 years ago that was at tyhe heart of the club's demise. I think 3-4000 is a little optimistic, and in any case didn't have any effect on thee club's dire financial status at the time.
as for the sheddings, much of the ground wasn't even usable in the period you mention because neglect had made it dangerous. I loved the score board and feel it should have been preserved.

I see said the blind man - I don't know CH. I'm just judging him on his performance in terms of running his business. I would admire his love for Oldham RL or the hard graft put in as a 'one man band' but do I question his ability to do the job well and make a success of it? ......the results speak for themselves.

Oldham's debt prior to SL was less than £100k - no 'yo'yo ing' until it folded in 97 with debts of £1.2m. Clearly mis-management was at the heart of Oldham's demise - much as it is now!

By the way, Sheddings had working toilets and could hold well over 3 times the capacity of Whitebank in the Sheddings stand alone (which was next to the scoreboard and had a great view of the game).

Edited by sheddings69, 19 October 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#72 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Take out the figures for the game just before the Challenge Cup final.

No you take it out.

I'm fed up with doing figures only for people to constantly disagree with them. Do your own ;)

#73 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

That I agree with.

At last after six years of polarised views from the trenches, we meet in no mans land and shake hands, game of football perhaps?.

Tell me boy what day is it?

It must be Christmas day.

#74 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

At last after six years of polarised views from the trenches, we meet in no mans land and shake hands, game of football perhaps?.

Tell me boy what day is it?

It must be Christmas day.

It's happened before.

#75 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

cheers. Another way of looking at it is that for nearly all games Oldham and Rochdale would have got bigger away followings. If you want to strip out the Friday Night Lights game you could also take out the the Oldham-Rochdale derby games for a truer showing of actual support. Which ever way you cut it it's a fact that the two traditional clubs in CC1 next year do not have much better support than the Skolars (especially Hornets)

True.

#76 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

You'd also need to exclude Oldham's abnormally high gate against Barrow
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#77 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Possibly but the thing is that Oldham's conditions (derbies and relatively high away support) are common with M62 clubs and any new club in one of those areas would get similar advantages but Skolars' Challenge Cup windfall is really specific to them and new clubs in Oxford, Gloucester etc are unlikely to get any similar benefit (though Hemel might).

#78 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I wish Oldham and Rochdale and Hunslet and Swinton and York all the best but these expansion clubs have much more to offer than these souless feeder clubs and one who staggers from crisis to crisis and whose ground, whilst a step up from having no ground, is the worst on the whole

So you would let these towns become RL free whilst investing in expansion areas? Rather thsn invest in areas with a proven track record of producing top players and have a latent interest in the sport. Great idea because soon there will be no heartland clubs left If we concentrate too much on expansion

#79 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Read the reactions to the 'feeder clubs'. No one knows what will happen yet but it is the usual....'super league exploiting this/that/the other'

Sorry, I should have made myself clear. I was asking in what way the expansion clubs are taking resources away from the established areas.

#80 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,914 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Or rather, why invest in areas that have consistently shown over many many years that pro rugby is just not viable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users