Oh Dear! Salford in bother

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#161 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

On a technical note, if Salford do go into administration, what happens with them for next season? I'd quite like a sensible answer, but looking at the way this thread's been veering I suspect I'm whistling in the wind here.

I don't know what you mean by "veering" Salford's struggle is a struggle that is magnified greatly by them being in Superleague where the stadium and the fans have not delivered. Nothings veered as far as I can see?? The repurcussions are fair game for debate.

As for what happens next year, it depends on if anyone rescues them. If they do then they may be waved back in to complete this license, but will they be given any tacit guarantee for 2015. I very much doubt it and there is the catch 22.

If the RFL/SLE are not planning for Salford to be in SL come 2015 (forget the licensing commitee rubbish) then who in their right mind would spend a penny on them.

That may leave 13 in SL for two years, but look what happened last time - Fev, Leigh and Fax were going to be offered the extra place. here's the second catch 22 - would any of these clubs want to risk going skint like Salford trying to make the numbers up for the RFL only to be booted out again 2015.

Hope I didn't veer too far off track there ;) :D

#162 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Yes. Any shock in that after 8 pages?

No - you got that bang on right Ackers!

Are you going to launch into a giant condemnation of the club a la Bradford?

#163 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Firstly I agree the problem is that you have small clubs who cannot hope to compete with Leeds, Wire, Saints, Wigan, Hull, Catalans going on and on about Superleague all the time but never putting the two million pounds a year on the table to show they are serious and can do it. That only gets the fans going on and on, and it all becomes negative and everyone gets all unhappy!

It was a marvellous moment when Sheffield came back from the dead several years ago to lift the grand final trophy this season, and within days it was all forgotten as everyone started to go on and on about how the eagles should be in Superleague.

No disrespect to any club or any RL person at all but haven't Wakefield, Salford, Bradford, Castleford and HKR shown how darn difficult it is to compete in Superleague? Or have these clubs simply been "badly managed" which is always what's chucked at them.

Lyndsay wanted clubs to be bigger sitting on bigger areas and that was all poo pooed. Merging on the ridiculous eh? Well for me - and again NO DISRESPECT going round dreaming how clubs with no money, few fans and no pro player development systems can just go into SL and compete - now that IS "ridiculous".

The collapse of the rump end of superleague is often treated (with "ridiculous" glee) as proof Lyndsay and his selfish super dooper league would one day get their commupance. Now it's all unravelling we are told it's time to lower the cap right down, return to P & R, and get the family of RL back together. Shake hands and forget trying to compete with RU & Soccer. We'll be fine.

Will we really??? Was it really all fine in 1995?? Were the changes made just a "ridiculous" idea???

If Salford go and O'Connor also doesn't get his 8,000 it just may leave Lancashire where Lyndsay probably wanted it to go. Three big clubs with all the players and fans. So the collapse of the rump of Superleague may actually be it's saviour.

Now all RL fans in the north west can go to St.Helens, Wigan and Warrington and all the best kids can aspire one day to play for these giants of the game, who can now pinch more fans from trad club areas.

Mr. Lyndsay probably has a wry smile on his face.

As for the 8-10 teams you suggest, the courting of Touluse is clearly to add another region as obviously there is a shortage of clubs who could be viable in SL. A ten club league picks itself - three Lancs, three Yorkshire, One Hull, One London and two France.

But I suspect 12 clubs with Millionaires still being allowed to prop the other two up, whilst "something turns up".....

OK - so let's have some honesty from the RFL, stop the licensing nonsense, go to 10 teams, 'officially' close off the possibility of P&R by any means and get on with it for god's sake! At least everybody would know where they stand.......or does the RFL want to be seen to have a pyramid structure like football where a team can climb from the bottom to the top (a la Wimbledon)?

Edited by sheddings69, 23 October 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#164 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Well. A veryInteresting discussion and some good points - but sadly, its back to the here and now lads!

If we don't get a new owner / cash injection by Friday there cpuldl be either a 13 team SL next year or a new lamb to the slaughter! :unsure:

I know it's our clubs own fault, we would deserve and I would expect to be kicked out of SL. I know we are one of the smaller and less glamourous clubs and that not too many will be bothered outside our supporters.

But what is really getting to me is that we are being told nowt! At the moment we have 14 contracted players for next season (plus remaining U/20's), no money to pay bills and no idea of what to expect. It is a horrible feeling. I just wish someone would give an idea of what will happen if we do or dont get a new buyer. If it means Championship 1 and a new start so be it I will still go to matches. If it means out of business end of the line - why is the RFL not getting involved? If Our club needs £150000 to stay in business why dont they ask for our help as its supporters? Maybe we could knock a dent into the bill even though we are not that many and in a poor area. We are being met with bland statements and nothing else - its not the best .... :( Maybe it will work out ok, who knows, I hope so.

#165 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Well. A veryInteresting discussion and some good points - but sadly, its back to the here and now lads!

If we don't get a new owner / cash injection by Friday there cpuldl be either a 13 team SL next year or a new lamb to the slaughter! :unsure:

I know it's our clubs own fault, we would deserve and I would expect to be kicked out of SL. I know we are one of the smaller and less glamourous clubs and that not too many will be bothered outside our supporters.

But what is really getting to me is that we are being told nowt! At the moment we have 14 contracted players for next season (plus remaining U/20's), no money to pay bills and no idea of what to expect. It is a horrible feeling. I just wish someone would give an idea of what will happen if we do or dont get a new buyer. If it means Championship 1 and a new start so be it I will still go to matches. If it means out of business end of the line - why is the RFL not getting involved? If Our club needs £150000 to stay in business why dont they ask for our help as its supporters? Maybe we could knock a dent into the bill even though we are not that many and in a poor area. We are being met with bland statements and nothing else - its not the best .... :( Maybe it will work out ok, who knows, I hope so.

I honestly do feel for you, having had first had experience of what you are going through. You'd be welcomed with open arms in the Championships and suspect you won't be the last SL club to go the same way.

#166 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Firstly I agree the problem is that you have small clubs who cannot hope to compete with Leeds, Wire, Saints, Wigan, Hull, Catalans going on and on about Superleague all the time but never putting the two million pounds a year on the table to show they are serious and can do it. That only gets the fans going on and on, and it all becomes negative and everyone gets all unhappy!

It was a marvellous moment when Sheffield came back from the dead several years ago to lift the grand final trophy this season, and within days it was all forgotten as everyone started to go on and on about how the eagles should be in Superleague.

No disrespect to any club or any RL person at all but haven't Wakefield, Salford, Bradford, Castleford and HKR shown how darn difficult it is to compete in Superleague? Or have these clubs simply been "badly managed" which is always what's chucked at them.

Lyndsay wanted clubs to be bigger sitting on bigger areas and that was all poo pooed. Merging on the ridiculous eh? Well for me - and again NO DISRESPECT going round dreaming how clubs with no money, few fans and no pro player development systems can just go into SL and compete - now that IS "ridiculous".

The collapse of the rump end of superleague is often treated (with "ridiculous" glee) as proof Lyndsay and his selfish super dooper league would one day get their commupance. Now it's all unravelling we are told it's time to lower the cap right down, return to P & R, and get the family of RL back together. Shake hands and forget trying to compete with RU & Soccer. We'll be fine.

Will we really??? Was it really all fine in 1995?? Were the changes made just a "ridiculous" idea???

If Salford go and O'Connor also doesn't get his 8,000 it just may leave Lancashire where Lyndsay probably wanted it to go. Three big clubs with all the players and fans. So the collapse of the rump of Superleague may actually be it's saviour.

Now all RL fans in the north west can go to St.Helens, Wigan and Warrington and all the best kids can aspire one day to play for these giants of the game, who can now pinch more fans from trad club areas.

Mr. Lyndsay probably has a wry smile on his face.

As for the 8-10 teams you suggest, the courting of Touluse is clearly to add another region as obviously there is a shortage of clubs who could be viable in SL. A ten club league picks itself - three Lancs, three Yorkshire, One Hull, One London and two France.

But I suspect 12 clubs with Millionaires still being allowed to prop the other two up, whilst "something turns up".....

Great post Parky but again it makes me wonder why you're so keen to preserve Wakefield and Castleford in SL and makes many of your comments in the Cas thread seem highly hypocritical.

I agree with pretty much everything you say in this post.

#167 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Manchester already has its SL club that it can sustain - Wigan.

No-one in Manchester supports Wigan. Salford are definitely strategically important to SL and if the RFL was more brave and trimmed to about 12 clubs and did away with licensing (instead declaring fixed franchises subject, of course, to continued popularity and profitability) there would I suspect be no shortage of investors for them, possibly rebranding to include Manchester in their name.

Manchester is prime time RL development territory, the problem is simply that Salford have been rooted to the foot of the hierarchy too long. Do away with the hierarchy and they'd benefit more than any existing side, along with the sport.

#168 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

1. If we don't get a new owner / cash injection by Friday there could be either a 13 team SL next year or a new lamb to the slaughter! :unsure:

2. I know it's our clubs own fault, we would deserve and I would expect to be kicked out of SL.

3. If it means Championship 1 and a new start so be it I will still go to matches. If it means out of business end of the line - why is the RFL not getting involved? If Our club needs £150000 to stay in business why dont they ask for our help as its supporters? Maybe we could knock a dent into the bill even though we are not that many and in a poor area.

1. Who in the Championship would take on Salford's place for two years, losing money only to risk getting cut again, and then possibly collapsing?

2. WRONG with respect, Salford were right to work their way to Barton and just see if the impetus of a new ground would work. Mr. Wilkinson and his board walking away after what? 20 odd years or more seems to provide the answer on that. But I'm firmly of the belief he had to roll that dice one last time.

3. So what is it you want saving? RL clubs tend not to die (Bramley maybe) just because they go through administration. I'd rest assured you will get a championship salford.

But why would Mr. Wilkinson take your money if he would only lose it down a big black tax hole?? Who would this be "saving the business for" nobody wants it so far do they? As for the RFL they stepped in and bought Odsal and SLE stepped in to make an offer for the Bulls.

Time yet for a rescue, but events may go on to show just who is lined up for 2012 and who is not.

I'm deeply boring myself now predicting a 12 club SL at every turn, but it is the case that a couple of clubs who gave up the ghost were rescued, and others giving up the ghost, oddly after only one year of this licence period don't seem to be getting the same help from RFL/SLE.

Perhaps there's some writing on some wall somewhere.

#169 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

No-one in Manchester supports Wigan.

Keeny mate they do.

A group of oldham lads share transport to the JJB and on matchdays manchester people get the train to Wigan, Padge has witnessed that.

People in west Leeds (Bramley) and south Leeds (Hunslet) support leeds in north Leeds, several thousand I'd guess.

People travel to watch who they want where they want and most people watch SL.

The area has been presented with an SL side in a brand new stadium and the prelude to that was 10,000 RL fans at the last match at the Willows.

The fans voted no to Salford

Edited by The Parksider, 23 October 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#170 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

No-one in Manchester supports Wigan. Salford are definitely strategically important to SL and if the RFL was more brave and trimmed to about 12 clubs and did away with licensing (instead declaring fixed franchises subject, of course, to continued popularity and profitability) there would I suspect be no shortage of investors for them, possibly rebranding to include Manchester in their name.

Manchester is prime time RL development territory, the problem is simply that Salford have been rooted to the foot of the hierarchy too long. Do away with the hierarchy and they'd benefit more than any existing side, along with the sport.

Oh yes they do - take a walk around and you will see 20 Wigan shirts to any other one.

Edited by sheddings69, 23 October 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#171 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Keeny mate they do.

A group of oldham lads share transport to the JJB and on matchdays manchester people get the train to Wigan, Padge has witnessed that.

People in west Leeds (Bramley) and south Leeds (Hunslet) support leeds in north Leeds, several thousand I'd guess.

People travel to watch who they want where they want and most people watch SL.

The area has been presented with an SL side in a brand new stadium and the prelude to that was 10,000 RL fans at the last match at the Willows.

The fans voted no to Salford

I’ve met Wigan fans in Manchester but they’ve been students or other exiles. Regular Mancs don’t really bother with RL, they’ll generally say “I sort of follow Salford” but that’s as much as you’ll get. They’re sport mad so will watch any big RL game if it’s on the telly but they have their big football teams and that’s generally enough for them. Show them a Northern sport they already know with 10/12 teams any of whom can win the league or finish bottom (without penalty) a la NRL and I just think it’s a no-brainer, you’d have 12K at Salford before you could say “Our kid”.

#172 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Oldham is not Manchester.

#173 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

Oldham is not Manchester.

Neither is Salford.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#174 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Oh yes they do - take a walk around and you will see 20 Wigan shirts to any other one.

Obviously everyone's experience is different but in the 7 years I've lived in Manchester I've seen precious little of either. I'd say Salford and Wigan were about on a par when I do spot them though.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#175 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

I’ve met Wigan fans in Manchester but they’ve been students or other exiles. Regular Mancs don’t really bother with RL, they’ll generally say “I sort of follow Salford” but that’s as much as you’ll get. They’re sport mad so will watch any big RL game if it’s on the telly but they have their big football teams and that’s generally enough for them. Show them a Northern sport they already know with 10/12 teams any of whom can win the league or finish bottom (without penalty) a la NRL and I just think it’s a no-brainer, you’d have 12K at Salford before you could say “Our kid”.

So the Leeds supporter I was talking to in the Anvil, who changed trains in Manchester and caught the Wigan train from Piccadilly, to Wigan who was suprised at just how many people got on the train to Wigan wearing Wigan colours just happened to have caught the one train that every WIganer living in Manchester decided to catch. OK.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#176 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,149 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

If we don't get a new owner / cash injection by Friday there could be either a 13 team SL next year or a new lamb to the slaughter! :unsure:

How true is that? Are you sure?

#177 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

It makes me wonder why you're so keen to preserve Wakefield and Castleford in SL and makes many of your comments in the Cas thread seem highly hypocritical.

I'm not "keen" for anything so you have misinterpreted my stance. What I want is for everyone on here to get what they want and us all be one happy family ;)

What can I say about the "calder" (yes it's a stupid tag but we know it means Fev, Cas, Wakefield) area.?

I think it's a crying shame the superb players they had in the area all upped and beggared off to other clubs.

I think it's a crying shame the 20,000 who are prepared to pay money to watch Superleague at it's best were spilt between watching three three clubs in three non-modern stadia, who therefore all ended up losing shedloads of money.

MAYBE

One day somewhere in the area there will be one big modern comfortable stadia, and maybe enough of the 20,000, plus new fans will go to it, so the superb players the area produce can all play together out of that stadium and wipe the floor with Leeds every time.

Who may get to that position first if anyone who can be 100% sure :)

#178 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

I’ve met Wigan fans in Manchester but they’ve been students or other exiles.

12K at Salford.........

I'd suggest with respect you take on board Sheddings, Avengers and Padges views as they know the area and have seen these things. People from around the M60 inside and out do go to Wigan.

#179 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

Show them a Northern sport they already know with 10/12 teams any of whom can win the league or finish bottom (without penalty) a la NRL and I just think it’s a no-brainer, you’d have 12K at Salford before you could say “Our kid”.

Salford clearly don't have the money to be part of that league do they?

Salford don't have the junior base to develop the players who could win the league do they?

Changing to a 10/12 team league effectively excludes Salford doesn't it?

People aren't daft and know this, this is why people choose to get on the train in Manchester or climb in a car in Oldham and go to Wigan.

#180 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

No - you got that bang on right Ackers!

Are you going to launch into a giant condemnation of the club a la Bradford?

If the RFL/ SL are determined to bankroll SL regardless, my opinion counts for nothing so there's no point. However I may chose to enter the debate if Salford are shown the door to SL if it all goes teets up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users