TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Going Bump?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hope it's not true, or at least they get it sorted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._medium=twitter
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#2 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

We'll see if they get the same amount of help from oher clubs and the RFL as Bratfurt did eh? Cue more begging bowls from the 'poor' SL club.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#3 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 511 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

The planning associated with the new stadium was a disaster.

Builld a stadium where land is cheap but there is no population, no public transport, very limited road access and no adequate parking
Its called cutting corners.

Might as well have built it on the moon.

old stadium was in the community, on the tram route and had free parking either in side streets or at metro station.

Although I have always had a soft spot for Salford and went over to the Willows whenever I could, this is a problem of their own making.

#4 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

I said something along those lines, if they couldn't get a decent crowd at the Willows how did they expect to get people going all the way over to the Trafford Centre on a Friday night.

If the trouble is as they say over a small amount then surely they will just pay it, if not there will be bucket shakers a plenty in a couple of weeks. Then the RFL will have to pull another rabbit out of the hat to keep them in the 'club'.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#5 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

I hope they do get it sorted, like Anita I've a big soft spot for the real Red Devils. My Dad was a big Salford fan and they were my introduction to Rugby. I spent many a freezing cold afternoon sat outside the Weast with cousins and friends waiting for him and my uncles to come out of the Willows.
When he was flush, in a good mood or when my Uncle couldn't make it he'd take me in.
It was only when my Mum decided we were moving to Rochdale, when I was about twelve, to be nearer her family that I started to watch Hornets, but I had to go with friends, my Dad would never go unless Hornets were playing Salford.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

#6 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

Know one wants to see any club go to the wall really but the blame for this sort of thing falls squarely into the lap of Red Hall.

Th whole idea of Super League and the franchise system was to make sure that the licences went to clubs that had all there ducks in a row. They had to have bona fide business plans, financial support to see them through the period of the licence, fit the bill as far as fans and stadia, etc, etc. Since then we've had Bradford, Wakefield, Crusaders, London several times and now Salford look like they have some serious financial problems.

Just who is doing the job of checking that the clubs are up to the job?

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#7 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Know one wants to see any club go to the wall really but the blame for this sort of thing falls squarely into the lap of Red Hall.

Th whole idea of Super League and the franchise system was to make sure that the licences went to clubs that had all there ducks in a row. They had to have bona fide business plans, financial support to see them through the period of the licence, fit the bill as far as fans and stadia, etc, etc. Since then we've had Bradford, Wakefield, Crusaders, London several times and now Salford look like they have some serious financial problems.

Just who is doing the job of checking that the clubs are up to the job?

Pugwash.

I don't get this at all. A few years back, the RFL seemed well on top of checking things in terms of the wage cap, which in my head at least, should have ensured that no club should ever find themselves in financial trouble. I know that's probably incredibly naive on my part, but the point of a wage cap was to control spending by clubs. Is the wage cap still in operation as there was a time where punishments were issued for falling foul of it, but since Wigan signed Stuart Fielden, I've not heard mention of it.
Interfering bloke who supports Dale.

#8 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

No, you aren't wrong Col, the salary cap IS still in force but it has become a bit of a toothless bulldog of late I'm afraid. Clubs were told that they could spend on players no more than a percentage of what they expected to have income, or turnover or something, and they could only spend up to a ceiling of £1.8M or so. This includes National Insurance I think as well.

The problem with Bradford surrounded the fact that they had been borrowing money using their ground lease as collateral, then they let the RFL buy the lease for another loan and when they returned to the bank for more dosh they had no collateral and so they were in deep poop. Now call me what you like but I'm not an accountant but that should have been picked up by the RFL's bean counters as a big problem with the ground lease already securing loans from a third party.

A possible answer would be to take the numbers from the previous three years and average them out as they have been attained and then they could go back to the RFL annually if they increasing their performance financially and able to sustain a larger Salary Cap.

JEEEEZ, if an idiot like me can work it out surely,,,,, er no they can't obviously!!!

The RFL are not fit to run the sport they are a buch of bozos who lurch from one fiasco to the next uncontrolably.

Just look at this season, they trumpet Northampton Rebels as the first new club in the expansion plans. I contacted them and actually did an interview via email and printed it in our last programme of the season, only to find a week or so later they've pulled out!!!

We need people in charge who know what finances are and how to judge clubs' financial situations but this set of Barclays really don't know which way is up!

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#9 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

So let me get this right the clubs own financial indiscretions are all the RFL's fault and nothing at all to do with the mismanagement of those clubs.
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#10 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

No, not at all, but the RFL are responsible for due diligence in grantinmg licences, a large part of which the clubs financial house is in order and the business plan is credible. They continue to fail miserably in this regard (as well as others).

#11 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

So let me get this right the clubs own financial indiscretions are all the RFL's fault and nothing at all to do with the mismanagement of those clubs.

The RFL make the rules and they should ensure that clubs obey them, the point is now that last season Wakefield dodged a bullet and lately Braford dodged a hail of them, so now we have to see what happens to Salford.

I've got to be careful here but just imagine that you were in charge of a club tip-toeing through some financial trouble, the time might now look good to let it all come to a head because you might think that you could ride out the trouble and start afresh as the previous two clubs have.

I stress here that I am NOT suggesting that this is what Salford are doing just using a 'for instance.'

The time came last season with Wakefield to drop them from Super League and promote another Championship club, but with a load of weasel words they managed to get round the problem without doing the right thing. Then along comes Bradford. Realising that they were more than a little compromised as they bought the lease which meant that Bradford couldn't borrow anything and their accountants either missed the charges against the lease or decided not to tell the RFL.

I know it sounds like I just blame everything on the poor RFL but lets face it they couldn't run a coffee stall to be honest. They fined Stanky for abuse to officials but when Nathan Brown said he was 'Going to send out his players with orders to thump the opposition if they thought they were going to get hit.' Come on, tell me which you consider the worst. Oh and Brown's comments were reported verbatim in the press whilst Stanky appealed against his misdemeanours.

The current incumbents at Red Hall stumble from one fiasco to the next and unless they leave like old 'Dickie' did to go and cock up tennis again we're stuck with them!

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#12 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

So just as boro hornet has said, was it the fault of the RFL that Hornets went bump, for example ?
RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#13 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

It's not their fault Hornets went bump, no. However, they set up stringent rules for 'membership' of the SL club which the clubs had to abide by. It is therefore up to them to implement the rules and not just let teams get further and further into financial trouble that they all of a sudden get winding up orders etc.

Once Bradford lost their lease they were then out of control of their finances as they were using that as security for loans to keep the wolf from the door apparently. That is what the RFL accountants should have noticed and if they didn't then the RFL need new accountants!!

Hornets were not in SL so they were less likely to arouse suspicion at Red Hall.

At the end of the day the clubs go into debt but if they do that by breaking competitoin rules then the RFL have to shoulder their part of the blame!

As a for instance, say your house is worth £200,000 and you have £100,000 equity. You make a personal loan of £50,000 for an extension, if you then ask the bank for another loan they will check your equity and your ability to repay the larger repayments, it's standard business practice, everyone does it, except the RFL apparently.

You are quite welcome to support the RFL if you wish you could always talk me through what I think are some of their more stupid decisions, let's start with the Stobart sponsorship deal, that was a doozy!

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#14 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm sorry but the buck stops with the 'well meaning' club officials for getting their respective clubs into financial trouble.

Blaming the RFL smacks of a 'NANNY STATE'
RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#15 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

protecting teams from relegation so that they can run their clubs as badly as they want with no consequences smacks of the Nanny state to me.

Bi teams to damn worried that teams like Featherstone, Sheffield, Batley and Docaster among others might earn a place in the top division at their expense.

#16 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

One of the main reasons that relegation was scrapped was to prevent clubs from getting 'quick fix' aussies to avoid relegation. It was to encourage clubs to nurture young English players and to avoid players from losing their full time status.

The RFL, just like most other decisions and laws, are discussed and voted on by all the clubs. So is it still the RFL's fault?

#17 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Now they buy quick fix aussies to try and make the last play off spot so they can be marmelised in the first round of the play offs in front of a smaller than usual crowd.

But yes, the turkeys who voted for Xmas (and it appears continue to vote for Xmas - see challenmge cup, NR cup, annual changes in points system, promotion and relegation)need to be named and shamed.

#18 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20142172

Hull K.R. lost a bundle last season and are looking for new investors apparently?!?! So obviously SL clubs by and large are living beyond their means. Some are just better able to cope than others it would seem.

I wonder what amount of their salary cap is spent on foreign players?

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#19 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Taken from the Oldham forum.

http://www.salfordst...cle.asp?id=1616
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

#20 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

WOW!!! I wouldn't like to be a councilor at the next election when the public get a load of this over their morning cornflakes! Just imagine the nurses, teachers, firemen, etc who may be losing money or jobs just so Salford City Reds can chuck shed loads of their dosh at third rate Australians!!

I can see this latest loan not taking place to be frank, when the vox pop is heard coming over the hill.

Pugwash.

Edited by Pugwash, 11 December 2012 - 01:40 AM.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.