TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Jamie Acton

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#21 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

Well done BOD and welcome to Town Jamie, hope you enjoy your time with cumbrians best marra :) :)

#22 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

With all these signing we are all forgetting about lupton if we can get him fit will be a great addition to what is looking a very strong pack.

#23 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

yeh, theres two types of 13 isnt there ( discounting the third prop fad ) . The dynamic worker , doing
the yards and making the tackles , like Annakin. And theres the ball player ,a third pivot ,like Lupton.
Having that third playmaker is very handy. Id say Dave is a bit of both. Pretty important position 13,
has a real and central bearing on the game and the style you play. 1,6,7,9 and 13 in that middle
third of the pitch are your creative force , and we are strong there in three of those so far.
Fill in 6 and 7 and we have a potent and complete attacking edge to take full advantage of our great packs
go forward. Next year lets get full value if our packs dominant

Edited by DavidM, 18 October 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#24 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

Another excellent signing, if he can keep himself under control. Its also a little bonus that the loons down the road are getting more and more upset with every signing we make.

#25 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

yeh, theres two types of 13 isnt there ( discounting the third prop fad ) . The dynamic worker , doing
the yards and making the tackles , like Annakin. And theres the ball player ,a third pivot ,like Lupton.
Having that third playmaker is very handy. Id say Dave is a bit of both. Pretty important position 13,
has a real and central bearing on the game and the style you play. 1,6,7,9 and 13 in that middle
third of the pitch are your creative force , and we are strong there in three of those so far.
Fill in 6 and 7 and we have a potent and complete attacking edge to take full advantage of our great packs
go forward. Next year lets get full value if our packs dominant

Do you think there is such a thing anymore in Pro RL? Other than Sinfield (when he plays 13) can you name anybody who actually plays the old-fashioned loose forward role like for those who can remember Kelly Shelford, Dave Heron, Harry Pinner, Steve Maguire?

#26 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Funny you should say that , I actually wrote oldfashioned loose forward then scrubbed it out . I know what you mean . Shame really , look at older games on YouTube and you see so much more ball playing . I was staggered watching some footage of the 82 kangaroo tests , brilliant stuff with Ray Price and Wayne Pearce playing with great skill . Power , muscle and tackle counts now take over from finesse in this age to a big extent. I'd much rather watch a Brad Clyde or a genius like Jason Smith to a Dallas Johnson or , I can hardly say it , Ryan Bailey . Nowadays they have to be out n out forwards working tirelessly and making 50 tackles . There are still some ball players around here n downunder but not as many as years back . Back to Lupton , no doubt that's his position .

Edited by DavidM, 19 October 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#27 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

Gotta disagree with you a bit there price and Pearce were the first powerhouse 13s and didn't play like extra pivots, they were a pair of machines though

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#28 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Ok just clips I saw ... Brad Clyde , Fittler in his youth , Tawera Nikau and Jason Smith who I saw lots of are better examples. Still years back . Fantastic ball playing talents which most teams had.

Edited by DavidM, 19 October 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#29 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

I don't think we've had a proper loose forward since Craig Walsh, who was an outstanding ball player. But unfortunately we only had him for a few games. Dave p is about the closest we've had over recent years but I would still say he's more a work horse than a ball player. If you have a creative half back pairing then I would go for the likes of petersen who put the workload in.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#30 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Jason Smith was quality, jim dymock also

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#31 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Yes that's the main point isn't it wonky . Teams now rely heavily on the halves for creation , and if they're outstanding you don't need any extra help - you see that in the NRL where they , and often just one half , takes all the burden .
Get a good half pairing and they'll do the job . If not then a Lupton type is very useful . Dave who can do a little ball playing to add to his massive shift would be ideal either way . He would be the man to go for .

#32 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Jason Smith unbelievable , how often was he smashed up and knocked out and battered around and carried on !!!

#33 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

I don't think we've had a proper loose forward since Craig Walsh, who was an outstanding ball player. But unfortunately we only had him for a few games. Dave p is about the closest we've had over recent years but I would still say he's more a work horse than a ball player. If you have a creative half back pairing then I would go for the likes of petersen who put the workload in.

Aye craig walsh outstanding for haven in 2004 scored around 30 tries that season got in the end of season champ team at 13 then gotta serious injury at barrrow in the NRC start of the next season was never the same player again

#34 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

I've always liked Westerman , thinking of today over here . He has something .

#35 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Funny you should say that , I actually wrote oldfashioned loose forward then scrubbed it out . I know what you mean . Shame really , look at older games on YouTube and you see so much more ball playing . I was staggered watching some footage of the 82 kangaroo tests , brilliant stuff with Ray Price and Wayne Pearce playing with great skill . Power , muscle and tackle counts now take over from finesse in this age to a big extent. I'd much rather watch a Brad Clyde or a genius like Jason Smith to a Dallas Johnson or , I can hardly say it , Ryan Bailey . Nowadays they have to be out n out forwards working tirelessly and making 50 tackles . There are still some ball players around here n downunder but not as many as years back . Back to Lupton , no doubt that's his position .

It may be Lupton's position but that would leave us needing TWO halfbacks.

#36 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Yep, but I just don't see Lupton as a natural dynamic half . With his lack of pace but his experience and guile , I think he's a 13 and seems more at home there . With Olstrum and maybe Dave or Annakin ,we'll probably still see him playing half though , and he can of course with his class and vision ... If fit of course . That's still a big if , certainly early doors. Even if he does play half we'll need 2 or 3 new ones with his injury issues. A top amateur and one who's done it at this level would be ideal.

Edited by DavidM, 19 October 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#37 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Good to see we're building our squad in the offseason ... Woodsy in the star saying he doesn't mind building up his squad n changing it as the season goes along .

#38 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

I honest think, from what both players have said in the past, we will see both petersen and annakin in a town shirt next season. If it was one or the other I would have to go with annakin, on the simple basis that dave will be in the super league squads more than he will. Maybe a season long loan for annakin and dual reg for petersen would suit all parties best.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#39 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Both more than welcome , can't have enough good players . And Dave has utility value . Newton is welcome to as we still look for hooker cover , but as I thought Walne must be very much in Salfords plans seeing we've looked elsewhere. He'll make a SL impact next year.

#40 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 856 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

I think the club wont to get some kind of contract with CALLUM PHILLIPS mutch better half back than we have at this time, Very good passer of the ball and a very good eye for an opening get in there before them lot down the road.