Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Jamie Acton

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

You can forget about signing James Newton, DavidM, he has signed for Haven. Someone from the south end of the county where Newton's from says on the Haven forum that he signed for Haven because Town didn't want him as they had already signed someone for his position!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that one of Annikin or Petersen???

Just for the record Newton played 3 games for us Rochdale (away) where he struggled; Crusaders (away) where he had a decent game from the bench and against Scorpions at home he had a fine game and showed what he was capable of, so he showed a bit of promise but if we have signed Annikin or Petersen then I am more than happy with that.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#42 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

Yes your right about the small sample , we may need another natural hooker as cover and I was just thinking of him because he was here . Any good player would do . And correct about the other two lads, either is fine !

Edited by DavidM, 19 October 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#43 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

Agreed

#44 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

We have a fine lad there in Olsturm who can do the hooking job for matty and then you can always think of Bamber or forber can slot in there too as well as fill in for our new half back when he flys over from the southern hemisphere

#45 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Interesting last bit there !

#46 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

Alister Leak from Egremont, have a look at him Town! Promise hes class.

Hire me! I could be a scout from the Mont hah. :lol:

#47 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Alister Leak from Egremont, have a look at him Town! Promise hes class.

Hire me! I could be a scout from the Mont hah. :lol:

Didn't I say that a few weeks ago on here. :lol: :lol:

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#48 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Two great minds Keith ;) :lol: also Matty Palmer!

#49 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

You can forget about signing James Newton, DavidM, he has signed for Haven. Someone from the south end of the county where Newton's from says on the Haven forum that he signed for Haven because Town didn't want him as they had already signed someone for his position!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that one of Annikin or Petersen???

Just for the record Newton played 3 games for us Rochdale (away) where he struggled; Crusaders (away) where he had a decent game from the bench and against Scorpions at home he had a fine game and showed what he was capable of, so he showed a bit of promise but if we have signed Annikin or Petersen then I am more than happy with that.

i didnt think we would sign newton so thats no suprise really keith. He will get a jersey at haven where as i dont think he would have as much at town.

#50 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

I don't think we can make a real judgement on Newton, because of the little we seen of him. Although no doubt he is a better player than matty according to the idiots down the road. I always thought he was an out and out hooker, so I don't see petersen or annakin being the player we have for his position. Also on another note I would prefer to see Karl at loose forward rather than at hooker, and get a proper experienced player in that position to back matty up.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#51 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

I don't think we can make a real judgement on Newton, because of the little we seen of him. Although no doubt he is a better player than matty according to the idiots down the road. I always thought he was an out and out hooker, so I don't see petersen or annakin being the player we have for his position. Also on another note I would prefer to see Karl at loose forward rather than at hooker, and get a proper experienced player in that position to back matty up.

yeah difficult to judge on 3 games but i think we made the right decision.we have other more important targets

#52 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

The coaches can't have been too impressed as we never extended his loan last year and aren't interested this, and they've seen us right so far.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#53 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Agreed on Olstrum. Of course he can cover there, but in my opinion only he' s not an all round hooker. He's a top ball carrier,
but you also want a hooker naturally to have vision of play around him , control the speed of the game and have a great
passing game . Karls a fine talent playing his own game, let him do his direct and dynamic thing running the ball and using his strength and footwork , and lets
look for a second natural hooker whos like Matty , so when he' s spelled we have continuity and can play
at the same tempo and in the same style. Pity Ben Fisher jacked in.

Edited by DavidM, 19 October 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#54 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Yes indeed but I like Shacks out wider using his pace and skills . These two signings have somewhat overshadowed Paul Jackson ! I see Acton is from the outskirts of High Wycombe , and got a big write up in the Buckinghamshire Examiner when Wigan took him !! He played with the likes of Jack Hughes and Tom Spencer .

Agreed, I have fond memories of his dis-allowed try at the rec last year when he out paced their full-back, whoever he was, from near on the half-way line :D

#55 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Think it was Jonny Youds then . Might be mistaken but I think he went back to the amateurs and played against Egremont .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users