Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SL / Championship "Partnerships"

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#1 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

I see that more and more Championship clubs are taking the kings shilling and are becoming feeder clubs .......sorry......partners with SL clubs. We now have Batley in talks with 2 SL teams.

I dread to think how all this will end up.

PS

I gather there's no truth in the rumour about Lock Lane asking Cas to become their feeder club

#2 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,858 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

I don't expect others to follow suit but if fev ever went down that route I think I could just as easily call it a day with rugby league.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#3 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Here are my thoughts in detail...
Posted Image

#4 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

We know what your thoughts are, problem is people like you and your club are happy to play 2nd fiddle, we ARE NOT. Believe it or not we think are club should be up there and the day we become one of the self styled elites doormats thats me done. Dont mind the odd dual reg player but this new agreement smacks of a money saving desperation measure. Its madness. You want more young lads playing not less those clubs get millions and should be running teams at all ages. Get rid of 1 overpaid overseas player and it would fund the lot, the games going from 1 disaster to another but this is the biggest of the lot for me. Sheffield and Rovers are the only 2 clubs in this league that have made any kind of fuss both clubs stand out as shining beacons in this corrupt sport which is why i give Rovers all my pocket money. What Leigh have done is pretty low as well going into a partnership with Wigan yet telling there fans its just an agreement knowing there fans would never accept cozying up with Wigan, call it what they want Leigh are Wigans feeder club now

#5 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

How can doing away with Under 18's and Under 20's and replacing them with one Under 19 squad mean more young players as you state?

You also say that Championship clubs can have 5 SL players but you don't mention the fact that all the SL players are to be given a "value" which has to be worked in to the Championship clubs salary cap, so depending on salary cap levels at the club it could be 5 Under 19's players or those at the lower end of the salary scale.

You say it is now official. Have you got a link to anything from the RFL, SLE or the Championship clubs outlining it and how it will work?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#6 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

We know what your thoughts are, problem is people like you and your club are happy to play 2nd fiddle, we ARE NOT. Believe it or not we think are club should be up there and the day we become one of the self styled elites doormats thats me done. Dont mind the odd dual reg player but this new agreement smacks of a money saving desperation measure. Its madness. You want more young lads playing not less those clubs get millions and should be running teams at all ages. Get rid of 1 overpaid overseas player and it would fund the lot, the games going from 1 disaster to another but this is the biggest of the lot for me. Sheffield and Rovers are the only 2 clubs in this league that have made any kind of fuss both clubs stand out as shining beacons in this corrupt sport which is why i give Rovers all my pocket money. What Leigh have done is pretty low as well going into a partnership with Wigan yet telling there fans its just an agreement knowing there fans would never accept cozying up with Wigan, call it what they want Leigh are Wigans feeder club now

+1
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#7 IanFalkiner

IanFalkiner
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

+2

Agree 100%

#8 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

Spot on lowfield and whoever thinks that twinning with a SL club is a good idea and their not a feeder club are just as bad as the RFL if they believe it will help their clubs it's only helping one team and that's the SL team

#9 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

I think that there is a great opportunity for some Championship/Championship 1 clubs here to benefit, however I'd suggest that the issues needs to be split into two seperate parts for discussion.

Many of the potential partner clubs could benefit from the experience of their Super League partner in areas such as marketing, community work, other back-office functions, etc, provided that they are paired with one of the better run SL clubs. Sharing best practise in such areas would benefit the Championship club, enabling them to become stronger as a club, which would benefit the game as a whole. Likewise, the sharing of good coaching practises from top-level coaching staff I would suggest would have a similar benefit to the whole game.

Where I do have reservations however, is with regards to the DR system, and "sharing" of players. If the SL teams feel that their junior level games are not competitive enough, then they should be trying to improve the standard of that. If that is not possible, then players should be released and allowed to sign contracts with any individual team that wants them, at an appropriate level for their talent. All DR seems to be to me, is an attempt by SL clubs to ensure that players they wish to retain just in case they are required are kept match fit, with the prospective effect of disrupting the continuity for their junior partner and potentially distorting the supposed equalising effect of the salary cap.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#10 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Good Post.....

#11 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

were talking teams here who have had millions from sky, are about to drop there acadamie teams to save money, teams who are going bankrupt at an alarming rate. What can championship clubs who get 100k a year and have made the championship the most exciting league in the game possibly learn from those clubs. Even national conference teams must have juniors at all age groups to join the league. Im not saying super league clubs should have teams from U8s but surely from 14s upwards they should have teams at every age group. There supposed to be the standard bearers of the game but cant even afford an u18s team its disgraceful. Selby Warriors run 3 junior teams and are about to start a u8s. We get nothing from anyone we do sponsored bike rides, raffles you name it to fund these teams yet these clubs the self styled elite dont run any, then you get people like the York fan thinking its great because they will get 4 or 5 players, then we get the fools running the game trying to tell us there doing away with the teams for the games best interest, you couldnt make it up

#12 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

were talking teams here who have had millions from sky, are about to drop there acadamie teams to save money, teams who are going bankrupt at an alarming rate. What can championship clubs who get 100k a year and have made the championship the most exciting league in the game possibly learn from those clubs. Even national conference teams must have juniors at all age groups to join the league. Im not saying super league clubs should have teams from U8s but surely from 14s upwards they should have teams at every age group. There supposed to be the standard bearers of the game but cant even afford an u18s team its disgraceful. Selby Warriors run 3 junior teams and are about to start a u8s. We get nothing from anyone we do sponsored bike rides, raffles you name it to fund these teams yet these clubs the self styled elite dont run any, then you get people like the York fan thinking its great because they will get 4 or 5 players, then we get the fools running the game trying to tell us there doing away with the teams for the games best interest, you couldnt make it up

you're absolutely right. they're destroying the base of the pyramid and it's just gonna collapse..it's gonna take years to recover, if ever.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Well I think you are all massively overreacting.
Posted Image

#14 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

You will do because your just focussed on the 4 or 5 players your picking up

#15 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

Gav you would think like that as you think your team is gaining from this and a club like yours who IMO as no thought of progressing in RL your BOD just want to stay in this league that's all they care about and that's probably all they will ever care about but onto Leigh it looks like IMO they are resigned to championship rugby and will not be putting in a bid for SL as how can the RFL let them into SL if they are wigans feeder club? IMO that would mean Wigan would have 2 teams in SL but as we all know the RFL would probably welcome this ie 2 wigans 2 saints etc with this their is only 2 winners in twinning with champ clubs and that's the RFL and the SL team

#16 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

and i think it's a case of the emperors new clothes, with championship clubs afraid to speak out because they don't wish to be seen disagreeing with the rfl.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#17 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

You my friend are living in cloud cuckoo land! So if the SL clubs are sharing best practise Which one do you think will role out of the way to allow york up to the next level.
Also geographically this idea falls down. So if your York you get Hull with there A grade licence so who gets Castleford, salford etc. Point being it is a lottery on where you are based as to the quality of club you can link up with! How is that fair?

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#18 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

I would also add that some of the clubs mention work on very much a part time basis, with part time coaches and admin staff, so amongst all there other roles when are they going to find time to share many of the things mentioned ? Totally unthought out and the only clubs that have really jump into it are the ones who only see the short term advantages and cost savings on players, for themselves.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#19 Chris_T

Chris_T
  • Coach
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Have to say im sceptical about the link ups that have happened so far but this piece in our local rag has given me a bit of hope that we (Batley) might be in for something different, have to wait and see! http://www.thepressn...ils.asp?id=8379

#20 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Can anyone list the Championship clubs that have officially linked up with SL clubs so far ?
Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users