Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SL / Championship "Partnerships"

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#181 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

There's quite a few benefits clubs like Fev get from the RFL that are "to the detriment of the competition's integrity" in my opinion (and that of some club's chairmen). So if we're on about clubs being treated fairly, regardless of location, then it's time some supporters looked a bit closer to home.

Im comfotable looking as close to home as you wish. Let me know what you're thinking of and ill give you an honest opinion.

#182 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say a club has "sold its soul" by entering into such an agreement.

But I wouldn't be heralding it as a triumph.

In my humble opinion, it's a weakness.

Edited by Griff, 24 October 2012 - 10:38 AM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#183 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

There's quite a few benefits clubs like Fev get from the RFL that are "to the detriment of the competition's integrity" in my opinion (and that of some club's chairmen). So if we're on about clubs being treated fairly, regardless of location, then it's time some supporters looked a bit closer to home.

Im very interested in what you mean by your statement? Because i cant think of one thing where we have been treated fairly

#184 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Gaz I think its abit easier in fevs position to say I'd rather be relegated when is very unlikely to happen. Maybe some fans have forgotten what it's like to struggle at the bottom of the table.

Never forgot ramite it haunts me to this day but i stand by my statement as i would rather be playing champ 1 rugby than be in a partnership with a SL club.

#185 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say a club has "sold its soul" by entering into such an agreement.

But I wouldn't be heralding it as a triumph.

In my humble opinion, it's a weakness.

I agree Griff. It sounds a good idea initially but the problems as I see it are quite complex. If you get say 5 SL players then that means 5 prospective youngsters from your own area miss out. You play these loaned playeras and then they are suddenly called back. Where are your replacements? You would have to resort to playing your loanees from the bench otherwise you wouldn't have a team if they suddenly disappeared.Would SL allow that? The biggest problem is that if prospective youngsters don't get the chance they deserve they drift from the game. Then the area is suddenly totally dependent on loaned players. That club then becomes a subsidery of the SL club and at its beck and call. It could mean the death of a club going down the Bramley road.

#186 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

If you get say 5 SL players then that means 5 prospective youngsters from your own area miss out.

What about young local players missing out on playing for their home town club because said hometown club cannot afford to run an academy/scolarship due to the fact they don't get as much in subsidies off the RFL and said young local players end up at, say, Fev or Sheffield?

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#187 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

What about young local players missing out on playing for their home town club because said hometown club cannot afford to run an academy/scolarship due to the fact they don't get as much in subsidies off the RFL and said young local players end up at, say, Fev or Sheffield?

You're mistaken.

There are no subsidies. That's the crux of the complaint. That's why hardly anyone is running academy/scholarship teams outside $uperleague.

Go away and do your research.

#188 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Rubbish, Fev fund there own academy because many supporters put there hands in there pockets to help it

#189 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

You make me laugh do you honestly believe the RFL fund us of all teams? We have built our academy through loyal fans that put their hands in their pockets to fund it.But on another note why would the RFL fund some clubs and not others? The RFL don't gain anything by this

#190 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Go and have a word with that pompous fool, BJ Mather.

#191 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

Is that your example of the 'closer to home' issues? If so, as others have pointed out, it doesnt stand up.

Let me be clear im not concerned in the slightest about York becoming stronger(provided there is no repeat of the season a few years ago when you beat us every other week!!) I simply want to know that the week to week consistency of any improvement will not be compromised by a need to proritise the interests of a third party, Hull FC.

Do you think 'any fringe players not in Hull's 19 man squad' means the same thing if you have to play on a thursday when hull dont know which of their fringe players might be needed. God forbid that scenario plays itself out during the play offs!

#192 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'm leaving them to it, I've had enough. There's no room for reasoned debate here. I'll just let them carry on believing that the game will be dead within 5 years, its the only thing that seems to make them truly happy.

In the meantime I'm off to go and support my team in the real world.

So what you are saying is that because some have a totally different opinion to yours there isn't a reasoned debate to be had? Ok some have views that might be extreme but many don't. Robin Evans for example is no fool and has always in the past, and i believe on this occassion made his decision not on a whim but having thought about the effects that the new agreements will have on the championship as a whole.He could well be provesd wrong in time and i'm sure if he is he will say so on this forum. Vic, our club chaplain wouldn't make up the conversation he had so if that doesn't concern you then you need to have a rethink.
How could Fev and Sheffield afford to run all the scholarship/academy and reserve teams this season yet SL clubs with all their money seem incapable of doing so? I'll tell you why, it's because they have the appetite to do it and can see the long term benefit to the game and teams pulling in 5 or 6 players from another team to give them game time isn't the answer but if that is what you want to see then so be it.

#193 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

By Simon, tha was doin alright until this. Now you've just made yourelf look wanting me owd cockle-doodle-doo!!!! :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#194 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm leaving them to it, I've had enough. There's no room for reasoned debate here. I'll just let them carry on believing that the game will be dead within 5 years, its the only thing that seems to make them truly happy.

In the meantime I'm off to go and support my team in the real world.

Support your team to the hilt. I wouldn't want it any other way Gav. I wish there were several thousand more like you.
You've hit upon a forum where many have an opposing view Gav and I agree the debate is kind of winding itself up. However, given the consensus on here and how strongly people view this topic (Zealots my ar se), it's good to see that we're still here 10 pages on..... still arguing...... still debating.....no slagging off etc...
I enjoy this craic however different view we have on this subject.

Can I get back to being irritated by Griff now please. It's the natural order of things. The homeostatic equilibrium must be maintained!!

Edited by Robin Evans, 24 October 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#195 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Wasting out time hes mates with you know who

#196 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

By Simon, tha was doin alright until this. Now you've just made yourelf look wanting me owd cockle-doodle-doo!!!! :lol:

Do Fev not get money from the RFL for 3 community officers then, when York get money for just the one? If I'm wrong I apologise.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#197 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Support your team to the hilt. I wouldn't want it any other way Gav. I wish there were several thousand more like you.
You've hit upon a forum where many have an opposing view Gav and I agree the debate is kind of winding itself up. However, given the consensus on here and how strongly people view this topic (Zealots my ar se), it's good to see that we're still here 10 pages on..... still arguing...... still debating.....no slagging off etc...
I enjoy this craic however different view we have on this subject.

Can I get back to being irritated by Griff now please. It's the natural order of things. The homeostatic equilibrium must be maintained!!

I'm not saying you should all love this new system and hail it as the best thing ever, it isn't.

I'm not saying you should even like it, in fact I completely understand why you would be concerned by it.

All I want you to accept that its not going to kill the Championships, because is isn't. I want you to accept we are not going to lose hundreds of academy players to the game, because we aren't. And I want you to accept that the clubs entering the partnerships are not becoming feeder clubs., because they aren't.

All I ask for is a bit of perspective here. Don't like the system and thats fine, but don't make it out to be something it isn't.

Is that too much to ask?

Oh and Lowfield (or whatever your name is ;) ) Don't you dare question my passion and commitment to this great game. Plenty of clubs depend on it, yours included.
Posted Image

#198 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Do Fev not get money from the RFL for 3 community officers then, when York get money for just the one? If I'm wrong I apologise.

as far as I know Simon, no. That doesn't mean I'm correct like!

#199 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

I'm not saying you should all love this new system and hail it as the best thing ever, it isn't.

I'm not saying you should even like it, in fact I completely understand why you would be concerned by it.

All I want you to accept that its not going to kill the Championships, because is isn't. I want you to accept we are not going to lose hundreds of academy players to the game, because we aren't. And I want you to accept that the clubs entering the partnerships are not becoming feeder clubs., because they aren't.

All I ask for is a bit of perspective here. Don't like the system and thats fine, but don't make it out to be something it isn't.

Is that too much to ask?

Oh and Lowfield (or whatever your name is ;) ) Don't you dare question my passion and commitment to this great game. Plenty of clubs depend on it, yours included.

Are you for real actually read that thread, i never questioned your commitment, it was your mate that questioned mine, said yours blinds it i just said PROVE it, thats all although im at a loss to know why your replying on here and not the appropriate thread

Edited by LOWFIELD, 24 October 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#200 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Is that too much to ask?

I have plenty of perspective Gaz. Just that on this issue we see it differently. I am suspicious of the system, I think you are underestimating it's flaws whilst exaggerating it's advantages. And I do think it sets champ clubs down the "feeder" route.
We are polarised here. No great deal Gav. We're rugby fans with opposing views. C'est la vie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users