Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SL / Championship "Partnerships"

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#21 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

Dewsbury Rams are with Bradford Bulls,Hunslet with Leeds,York with Hull,Whitehaven with Saints ,Batley going to announce something with a Super League club in the next few days,more then likely with Huddersfield Giants .Can't think of any more Championship clubs.

#22 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

Dewsbury Rams are with Bradford Bulls,Hunslet with Leeds,York with Hull,Whitehaven with Saints ,Batley going to announce something with a Super League club in the next few days,more then likely with Huddersfield Giants .Can't think of any more Championship clubs.

Warrington - Swinton

#23 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

were talking teams here who have had millions from sky, are about to drop there acadamie teams to save money, teams who are going bankrupt at an alarming rate. What can championship clubs who get 100k a year and have made the championship the most exciting league in the game possibly learn from those clubs. Even national conference teams must have juniors at all age groups to join the league. Im not saying super league clubs should have teams from U8s but surely from 14s upwards they should have teams at every age group. There supposed to be the standard bearers of the game but cant even afford an u18s team its disgraceful. Selby Warriors run 3 junior teams and are about to start a u8s. We get nothing from anyone we do sponsored bike rides, raffles you name it to fund these teams yet these clubs the self styled elite dont run any, then you get people like the York fan thinking its great because they will get 4 or 5 players, then we get the fools running the game trying to tell us there doing away with the teams for the games best interest, you couldnt make it up

I agree with everything you say Lowfield. As much as I'd like to take SL seriously, I simply can't and this is a prime example of why I can't. If they stopped importing expensive overseas "stars" and concentrated that cash upon developing the game, I may sit up and listen but they can't even be bothered with the basics - and junior development has to be the most basic requirement of all. I'm fed up of being lectured on these forums about how everything depends upon money and unless lower league clubs can find a rich benefactor they're wasting their time. Well we're witnessing at first hand just what these wealthy clubs will do to save a few bob. You really do have to ask what do they spend it on?

#24 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

O

Edited by jt, 20 October 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#25 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

O

Edited by jt, 20 October 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#26 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Warrington - Swinton

As a director of Barrow RFC I don't want to get involved in this debate (though I do have very strong views on the subject). I can however state that Barrow WILL NOT be joining the list :)

Posted Image

#27 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Pleased to hear it !
Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#28 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

As a director of Barrow RFC I don't want to get involved in this debate (though I do have very strong views on the subject). I can however state that Barrow WILL NOT be joining the list :)

Great news, i feel sorry for the players in the Championship squads who won't get a look in when the SL players roll in to town then be expected to play when the SL clubs call them back.
Looking forward to seeing Barrow back down at the Big Fellas Stadium next season

#29 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well done barrow another club not falling into the trap

#30 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

hunslet and swinton, 2 of only 3 teams to win all four cups, now feeder teams. how very very sad.

Edited by oldrover, 20 October 2012 - 09:38 PM.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#31 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Swinton, hunslet, Whitehaven, dewsbury, York, Rochdale, Leigh with Wigan, but nothing official or there would be a lynching in leytherland, you guys are a dead cert so that's 8 I know of, fax, fev, Sheffield is a no no, so that's 11 teams, 3 more and that my friend is nexts years competitors for the league.

#32 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Very, very pleased to hear that mate. Would of been very easy for you to sell your soul, made up you havent, i will go to Barrow next season now and give you some of my money. In fact we should as fans boycott the away games at the feeder teams, might make them think

#33 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

As a dewsbury fan the link up with we have with the bulls I don't see it as selling the clubs soul or killing the game at this level. Nor do I see us as a feeder club. Last year we had a lot of loans and DRs I put that down to money as we couldn't have a big enough squad to manage with injuries and so dipped into the loan market for cover. Instead of coming from different clubs they will more than likely come from one as long as they are good enough to compete it isn't an issue for me. Beside the players there are other bits to this link up such as using Bradford's training pitch , may not seem much but when the weather is bad ours is unusable. The club then have to hire an all weather pitch which costs money we don't really have. Once one club starts it becomes a race. If your near the bottom of championship and a rival joins up you can't get left behind or the club face a financial hardship in CC1.if you've got the money to dismiss these link ups that's great but what if you haven't ?
For what it's worth I think SL clubs will go back to a full academy set up in the medium term anyway.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#34 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

As a dewsbury fan the link up with we have with the bulls I don't see it as selling the clubs soul or killing the game at this level. Nor do I see us as a feeder club. Last year we had a lot of loans and DRs I put that down to money as we couldn't have a big enough squad to manage with injuries and so dipped into the loan market for cover. Instead of coming from different clubs they will more than likely come from one as long as they are good enough to compete it isn't an issue for me. Beside the players there are other bits to this link up such as using Bradford's training pitch , may not seem much but when the weather is bad ours is unusable. The club then have to hire an all weather pitch which costs money we don't really have. Once one club starts it becomes a race. If your near the bottom of championship and a rival joins up you can't get left behind or the club face a financial hardship in CC1.if you've got the money to dismiss these link ups that's great but what if you haven't ?
For what it's worth I think SL clubs will go back to a full academy set up in the medium term anyway.

Well here is my take on things. As you clearly state it will at least in the short term benefit teams like Yours who can not afford to compete in this league ( perhaps you should drop down then), but in the long term it make you somewhat reliant on the bulls. To me it lacks ambition and indeed does make you a feeder club, you are keeping Bradford players warm untill THEY want them, not like the loan system where you have a player for a set period of time.

Over the last couple of years I have made more of an effort to get to away matches not just to support my team but to support teams like yours with my money. I even linked your cheerleaders up with sponsorship as I wanted to support OUR league! I am in future going to concentrate on my own team as it would seem that some teams your included are only too happy to pick off the SL scraps whilst weakening integrity of our competition. Sad days indeed.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#35 Vic Johnson

Vic Johnson
  • Coach
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

I think the clubs that have signed away their future with SL clubs are clubs without ambition. They are quite happy to poddle along in the Championship and promotion is not an issue for them. I think it is a sad time for the game. At least Featherstone Rovers are determined to bring young, local talent into the game and in the end we will be all the better for doing so. We have already proved that consistency pays off. We now have players coming through that have been with us all the way from the Academy. They are Fev lads not some oicks brought in just to make a team up. Time will tell but I cannot help feeling that Featherstone has got it right and that we will be seen once again to be the most consistent winning team getting there on our own merits.
Featherstone Rovers-a Super league club in waiting. It's time to let us in.

#36 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Which ever way you look at it the truth is that SL clubs are using Championship clubs as their second teams. They loan out players who get competition games they wouldn't get in SL and then take them back when the time is ripe. Continuity in Championship clubs who take up this scheme goes out of the window. Just think a club takes on quite a few SL players and are challenging for honours and then the SL club takes them back. What the heck the supporters are going to make of this goodness only knows. My mind goes back to the old days when Doncaster started. Thet were loaned loads of players to get the going. Under Tuss Griffiths they were flying high. Suddenly the loaning clubs seeing how well their loan players were performing called all their players back. We all know the result of that. Doncaster have only just started to revive after years in the wilderness. The question therefore is if the SL clubs suddenly dispose of this scheme what are the participating clubs going to do for players?

#37 Vic Johnson

Vic Johnson
  • Coach
  • 631 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thats the point I'm making really Colin. When all your local talent has gone, who have you got to field a team with? The other point is that supposing four of five SL players came in for a few weeks, took the club on a winning spell then left, how would the team be able to maintain continuity? How would the fans feel being let down with nothing to look forward to until the next time the SL players were back in the team? As with bonus points, results will be scewed. A club can look good for a short while then go back to nothing. This is a short tem solution that has no future. You might save a bob or two now but long term, the money has dwindled away, the club has no independence and and the future is bleak. Well that's my opinion anyway.
Featherstone Rovers-a Super league club in waiting. It's time to let us in.

#38 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

I only see this twinning going one way and that's disaster for the champ clubs we all know the RFL don't care about any team outside of the SL so that says it all for me this is helping the RFL and SL teams grow and making a lot of champ clubs crumble IMO. It's a very slippy slope to go down and i for one am very happy we are not entertaining the idea. I'm a big believer of this twinning to help the financially strapped SL clubs who will be able to cherry pick from their twinning champ clubs and no fee will be payed for the player. This is to help the SL clubs whoever doesn't see that must be deluded.

#39 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

One thing about it, it certainly takes the pressure off the managers, probably giving a false sense of security.If SL clubs can afford to loan players out, doesn't that indicate that they are overmanned, a factor leading to financial troubles in the future.

#40 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

One thing about it, it certainly takes the pressure off the managers, probably giving a false sense of security.If SL clubs can afford to loan players out, doesn't that indicate that they are overmanned, a factor leading to financial troubles in the future.

Good point Bob additionally are we absolutley sure that the SL clubs will pay the total wages for the loanees. I haven't read that they will. I know in the past they have for the odd player, but if there are 4/5 what's the situation then. What expenses overall are they covering in this scheme.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users