SL / Championship "Partnerships"

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#41 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Good point Bob additionally are we absolutley sure that the SL clubs will pay the total wages for the loanees. I haven't read that they will. I know in the past they have for the odd player, but if there are 4/5 what's the situation then. What expenses overall are they covering in this scheme.

it#s my understanding that the parent club will pay the players wages, the host club will pay win bonuses, a (sizeable) part of which will go to the parent club to cover his wages. i could be wrong.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#42 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

it#s my understanding that the parent club will pay the players wages, the host club will pay win bonuses, a (sizeable) part of which will go to the parent club to cover his wages. i could be wrong.

But what of accommodation and if none available who covers the travelling costs home and away and meals. I know some are relatively near but it is another consideration especially with petrol costs being what they are.

#43 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Well here is my take on things. As you clearly state it will at least in the short term benefit teams like Yours who can not afford to compete in this league ( perhaps you should drop down then), but in the long term it make you somewhat reliant on the bulls. To me it lacks ambition and indeed does make you a feeder club, you are keeping Bradford players warm untill THEY want them, not like the loan system where you have a player for a set period of time.

Over the last couple of years I have made more of an effort to get to away matches not just to support my team but to support teams like yours with my money. I even linked your cheerleaders up with sponsorship as I wanted to support OUR league! I am in future going to concentrate on my own team as it would seem that some teams your included are only too happy to pick off the SL scraps whilst weakening integrity of our competition. Sad days indeed.

I don't think we need to drop down, by compete I meant with the top 3/4 clubs this may give us a helping hand but then it may not we will have to see. As for ambition I think ours is to win cups at this level not SL. Its not likely we will ever play in SL the only way is if some millionaire turned up and then we wouldn't need the deal with bradford. If that sounds like throwing in the towel well it maybe but it is also realistic. I stiil dont see it as a feeder team. For me, for a team to be a feeder team would mean all the players would be on some sort of Dual reg or loan from Bradford and they have say in running the club and/or the team.Or for bradford to automatically pick up our best players. None of which is happening with this deal. Neither do I see how bringing in better players weakens the integrity of the competition. I would hope you would still come to Dewsbury to watch its not as if the money is going to Bradford. Any boycott would just push clubs more towards link ups with SL clubs.
I can see why clubs in the CC who are aiming for SL don't want or need these link ups but its for each club to decide what is best for them.

Edited by Ramite, 21 October 2012 - 05:20 PM.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#44 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have read for the salary cap, each player involved will be given a value this will then apply to the second clubs salary cap. How this value is agreed I don't know.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

#45 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

I don't think we need to drop down, by compete I meant with the top 3/4 clubs this may give us a helping hand but then it may not we will have to see. As for ambition I think ours is to win cups at this level not SL. Its not likely we will ever play in SL the only way is if some millionaire turned up and then we wouldn't need the deal with bradford. If that sounds like throwing in the towel well it maybe but it is also realistic. I stiil dont see it as a feeder team. For me, for a team to be a feeder team would mean all the players would be on some sort of Dual reg or loan from Bradford and they have say in running the club and/or the team.Or for bradford to automatically pick up our best players. None of which is happening with this deal. Neither do I see how bringing in better players weakens the integrity of the competition. I would hope you would still come to Dewsbury to watch its not as if the money is going to Bradford. Any boycott would just push clubs more towards link ups with SL clubs.
I can see why clubs in the CC who are aiming for SL don't want or need these link ups but its for each club to decide what is best for them.

Dress it up anyway you like but you are now Bradfords feeder club, think i will give your ground a miss next year, likewise Leigh they can call it what they want they are Wigans feeder club

#46 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

The facts point to something different. Are you going to miss out every CC that has a link up ? Which could just add to the problem you wanting to avoid.

[

#47 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

The facts point to something different. Are you going to miss out every CC that has a link up ? Which could just add to the problem you wanting to avoid.

I dont agree with what there doing so i wont give them any of my money, by the way i dont think it will make the teams any better, we beat the Cas 1st team and ran Wigan close so what would we do to there reserve players

#48 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Your right it probably wouldn't add much to the Fev team but it may to ours.

[

#49 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

can i just ask, "are you running a 19s and 23s"?
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#50 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

No we don't have an academy

[

#51 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

No we don't have an academy

you have a squad of 22 + any bradford players. you can only play 17. will this cause unrest?
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#52 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

There were a few lads last year who got little game time despite all the loan players as far as I know it didn't cause any unrest.

[

#53 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Rochdale have teamed up with St Helens and the St Helens U20 coach will be running Rochdale along with other staff from Saints to keep an eye on the progress of their players who will be playing there
Thin edge of the wedge and i wouldn't be suprised to find other SL clubs putting their coaching staff in the Championship/1 clubs.

#54 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

This is interesting, as there are clearly two extremes of opinion here. Good for Featherstone for striking out and refusing to become part of a 'partnership.' However, many clubs feel that this is a appropriate method of ensuring that they continue to thrive as a club. I am not so sure and made my thoughts clear on my own clubs forum. I am waiting with some trepidation as to the outcome of discussions with SL club. Would I rather we had nothing to do with this current way of working? Of course I would but have no control over it.

What I do know is that Featherstone are in a good position to resist the current pressure to join up with so called 'senior' clubs. but many others are not. No reason to criticise them, whether we see it as a good thing or not. I still think that the best clubs in the Championship will remain so. Remember that most if not all of the players who will be joining C/C1 clubs will not be good enough to get into the top teams in the Championship. I cannot see the status quo changing greatly with this 'initiative'.

#55 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

If you want to be a $uperleague team's Reserve Grade team, that's fine.

Just make sure that you know where it's all leading, though.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#56 frankb

frankb
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

We have quite a long thread on the Leigh board about Twinning.

Leigh can't Twin with Wigan and you should know that.

The last page of that thread will tell you the truth and this will become even clearer at our next Fans Forum on November 7.

#57 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

We have quite a long thread on the Leigh board about Twinning.

Leigh can't Twin with Wigan and you should know that.

The last page of that thread will tell you the truth and this will become even clearer at our next Fans Forum on November 7.

Call it whatever your comfortable with mate, but we both know your there feeder club

#58 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

Like Darryl said at one of the fans forums, other clubs think were wealthy but the fact is our fans refused to accept there fate.Were better than that and we know it, were no ones ##### were the famous Featherstone Rovers. With Mark Cambell and others at the helm the fans have rallied and got involved in loads of ways to make the ground improvements happen, raise money for players, have the best golden gamble pay out in the game, and our 2nd ry income gone through the roof because we all know even a few pints in the ground helps out. It can be done and we have between us put Rovers in a great position

#59 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

I don't think its a secret Fev have more money to spend on players than probably anyone else in this league I don't have am issue with that. I would love Dewsbury to be in the same situation. But people like your chairman are almost non existent. Fev on the up started with him do you think you would be where you are without him? Without him it could have easily been fev signing up to one of these link ups. Not everyone is in the same financial situation as fev. You disagree with the link ups but Dewsbury are doing the best they can with the money they have.

Edited by Ramite, 22 October 2012 - 06:34 AM.

[

#60 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

and there's the rub..... Is this really for "the best"? That's the crux of this debate.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users