TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

SL / Championship "Partnerships"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
222 replies to this topic

#81 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

That's it, that sort of thing starts and the top they set the tone and the rest of the club and fans buy into it. Once you have got it started it can push the club forward. But it's difficult to start.

I agree at the moment it suits clubs like yours but ive got a big feeling this idea will go belly up.Ok i know you cant keep your players anyway if someone comes knocking but a feeder club? Too many souls have been sold and i would'nt be surprised if their isnt a dewsbury,york, hunslet etc in 5 years this will eventually kill the clubs who have signed up to this im in no doubt about that.This is only in the RFL's interest and the SL clubs interest they dont care about teams outside the top flight as we all know so why people think it will help their clubs is beyond me.

Edited by thundergaz, 22 October 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#82 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Sorry i work at Drax now not Ferrybridge, by the way Ferrybridge fell down didnt it had to be rebuilt by the right people

yes mate, i was one of the right people, AND i built drax. good aren't i
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#83 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

None of that is true have a look for the facts.

And therein lies my major problem currently, there are none available.

I'm not overly fussed about pinning a label on it, feeder, nursery, twin, partner call it whatever you want it crosses a line for me in that part of the role of Dewsbury, York, Swinton etc... next season is to keep fringe players fit for Bradford, Hull, Warrington etc..I don't think I could countenance watching Fev in those circumstances but if supporters of twinned clubs can live with it I guess that's their call.

Now back to the facts you mention and I mean facts not bland statements about retaining independence and sharing best practice etc.. I don't doubt that those charged with running the twinned CC clubs have concluded these deals enable them to put out a stronger team in the short term but I am genuinely concerned about the potential harm that could be done the integrity of the competition as a whole. Any answers to the the following:

Do Dewsbury have guarantees over player availability, will all DR players who are fit and not in the 1st team squad be available every week or will Francis Cummins be able to encourage/influence selection by only making available those who he feels game time in any particular week? Please note I'm not looking for the GM picks the team answer here I want to know if/how the selection pool he chooses from can be influenced by outside interests.

Assuming Thursday night TV games continue next year, what guarantees to Dewsbury have over player availability? If you play on Thursday & Bradford play on Sunday they wont name their squad until Friday afternoon. I'm not keen on the prospect of you turning up to play Fev on a Thursday shorn of DR players with what amounts to a weakened team only to play fax with a full compliment of first choice DR's the following Sunday. Does the twinning agreement provide the competition with any protection against this kind of thing happening? This was not such an issue in the past as in the main DR'd players were not in the running for 1st team at their parent club.

How will the salary cap be dealt with? Currently the greater of what the loanee club actually pays or the players 'deemed value' is what counts on the cap for the CC club. Not a great problem currently as in the main DR players have been from outside a SL squads main 25 so not actually paid huge sums relative to a CC clubs cap. What is the process for coming up with a 'deemed value' for players who in many cases are likely to be earning £30k+ pa? If cap rules are not sufficiently robust what is to stop Dewsbury or York or Hunslet or Swinton etc.. suddenly having a much stronger team for a couple of games at the back end of the season if they are fighting relegation, afterall it would be in the best interests of both sides of a twinning agreement for the CC club not to be relegated.

What % of games will a DR player need to play to be eligible for the play offs? For the integrity of the competition it needs to be high enough that it stops clubs drafting in 'better' players from their twins but not so high that teams who have made the play offs cant use players they have had through the season, so what is the % that has been settled upon?

Just to be clear, where I've singled Dewsbury out I've done so only as you more likely to be familiar with their agreement rather than any suggestion that Dewsbury's deal is different or more open to question than any other.

Edited by intheshed, 22 October 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#84 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Sorry i work at Drax now not Ferrybridge, by the way Ferrybridge fell down didnt it had to be rebuilt by the right people

Yeah, it did.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#85 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm happy it's the best deal we could do but I'd rather we didn't have to do it. The facts are on Dewsburys website have a look.

Got a link ?

#86 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Got a link ?

I'm on my phone atm I'll have a look later.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#87 Vic Johnson

Vic Johnson
  • Coach
  • 631 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

As for ambition I think ours is to win cups at this level not SL. Its not likely we will ever play in SL the only way is if some millionaire turned up and then we wouldn't need the deal with bradford. If that sounds like throwing in the towel well it maybe but it is also realistic.

See what I mean. Ramite is quite happy poddling around in the league. Fev's ambition is to be the best and that means reaching for the highest possible place. Yes. The top of the SL. That's ambition.
Featherstone Rovers-a Super league club in waiting. It's time to let us in.

#88 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I think the highest possible place for Dewsbury is a level below SL not matter what we win. It's being realistic not having pie in the sky ideas that simply aren't possible.I wouldn't call winning trophies at this level poddling after all isn't that what fev are doing?

Edited by Ramite, 22 October 2012 - 02:00 PM.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

#89 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Oh well, if you're happy .........

#90 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,390 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

I wouldn't call winning trophies at this level poddling after all isn't that what fev are doing?

Well aye, but aspire to so much more.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#91 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

There were a few lads last year who got little game time despite all the loan players as far as I know it didn't cause any unrest.

No, they left for Fev and Sharlston. Drivel talk. Young lads know the clubs which are acceptable to them. Serve these clubs right if, in the future, they will be unable to attract players of any calibre.

Edited by Bob Crowther, 22 October 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#92 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

I don't buy this "realistic" argument anyway. OK - even taking into account that you've given up ofn $uperleague (and you may well turn out to have a better case than us on that point) - it doesn't mean that you want to be another club's #####.

#93 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Got a link ?

http://www.dewsburyr...cle.php?id=9507

[

#94 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

No, they left for Fev and Sharlston. Drivel talk. Young lads know the clubs which are acceptable to them. Serve these clubs right if, in the future, they will be unable to attract players of any calibre.

The lads that left for fev were getting game time because they were top players at the club . Which Dewsbury player did you sign that got little time on pitch ? Plenty of young lads signing for Dewsbury even with this agreement all bar 4 or 5 are under 24. Two of them won academy player of the year.
http://www.dewsburyr...cle.php?id=9546
http://us5.campaign-...d&id=ac282c3750

Edited by Ramite, 22 October 2012 - 03:41 PM.

[

#95 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

yes mate, i was one of the right people, AND i built drax. good aren't i

Well you should of used a better spirit level because them cooling towers dont look straight to me

#96 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Well you should of used a better spirit level because them cooling towers dont look straight to me

Towers were built fine first time at ferrybridge, they just built them in the wrong formation, causing a vortex

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#97 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Where else on these fora can you have an informed debate on civil engineering ?

Marvellous. :)

#98 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Towers were built fine first time at ferrybridge, they just built them in the wrong formation, causing a vortex

Please gents! I live right underneath the Ferrybridge ones. Any more and I wont sleep. They occasionally make a hell of a din. Think they might be grumbling at the buliders?

#99 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Nearly 50 years old now - they could collapse again any time, I suppose.

#100 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

they look straighter than you do when you've been on the beer.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image