Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SL / Championship "Partnerships"

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#121 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Is that a question or a statement?

Is there not allowed to be a middle ground?

Personally I think the game at present is 'fine'. The sport could do things much better, the sport could do other things much worse. Give me Rugby League's problems over Football's problems any day of the week.

All I try to do on here, twitter and on LoveRugbyLeague.com is try to keep things in perspective, while adding reasons to be positive, and generally give a sense of cautious optimism.

In my humble opinion the sport of Rugby League is not even close to dying, and the meetings I've had with Featherstone over the last few weeks only reinforce that view. I'm sorry if this offends you all.

You ain't offending me Gav. I quite understand why some cubs would be content with these arrangements and I have sympathy
for the plight they find themselves in. What I find sad about it all is the very fact that so many clubs do find themselves in this situation in the first place.
We are being slowly squeezed by the RFL and SL and I don't like that fact. I don't like the way we are ignored; I don't like the way
we are patronised each time we demand change; I don't like the way we've become an afterthought.
I respect your views and I fully understand where you're coming from, but the very fact we are in this situation is testimony to the way the Championship clubs have been deffacated upon from a great height.

No! it may not be the end of the world and No! clubs will keep on beavering away but it is despite the RFL they are able to do so.

#122 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Is that a question or a statement?

Is there not allowed to be a middle ground?

Personally I think the game at present is 'fine'. The sport could do things much better, the sport could do other things much worse. Give me Rugby League's problems over Football's problems any day of the week.

All I try to do on here, twitter and on LoveRugbyLeague.com is try to keep things in perspective, while adding reasons to be positive, and generally give a sense of cautious optimism.

In my humble opinion the sport of Rugby League is not even close to dying, and the meetings I've had with Featherstone over the last few weeks only reinforce that view. I'm sorry if this offends you all.

i.m not offended, but i did find this sarcastic comment, This sport's dying you know ;) unnecessary.. how can you think the sport is doing fine. it is in oz, over here it's a bl00dy mess.. how many elite clubs have been in a financial mess. how many are on the verge, cas, hull kr, salford. no 15s no 18s, no20s, no 23s, 13s and 14s scholarships dropped. all to be replaced by u16s and u19s. superleague clubs having to send fringe players out to championship clubs. championship clubs so desperate that they have to accept it. my worry is, where will we be next year and the year after that. and thats my humble opinion Gav
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#123 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

I fully understand why licensing was brought in, if it was done properly right from the word go would have improved both SL and Champ clubs off the field to no end.

But it wasn't done properly, some clubs have improved, some haven't (which would have happened anyway) and some have become understandably disillusioned.

BUT I have word from a very good source that licensing will soon be coming to an end and Promotion & Relegation brought back. This will probably be at the beginning of the 2015 season.

Then Fev will soon find their proper level, be it in SuperLeague or the Championship, and then you will have no reason to moan... ;)
Posted Image

#124 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

i.m not offended, but i did find this sarcastic comment, This sport's dying you know ;) unnecessary.. how can you think the sport is doing fine. it is in oz, over here it's a bl00dy mess.. how many elite clubs have been in a financial mess. how many are on the verge, cas, hull kr, salford. no 15s no 18s, no20s, no 23s, 13s and 14s scholarships dropped. all to be replaced by u16s and u19s. superleague clubs having to send fringe players out to championship clubs. championship clubs so desperate that they have to accept it. my worry is, where will we be next year and the year after that. and thats my humble opinion Gav

Don't worry too much mate. Next year and the year after that, our clubs will still be here, still playing decent rugby league on a Sunday afternoon.
Posted Image

#125 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

At this very early stage in the 2013 season, I can tell you that all players who are fit and available but not in Hull's 19 man matchday squad will be available for Gary Thornton to select if he feels they will make York stronger. Also please refer to my above post for a bit of perspective about the quality of the players that will be available. :)

Excellent. I'll assume that there is nothing to be read into your choice of words 'fit and available but not in the 19 man squad'. and that the original press releases which potentially misleadingly said:

As part of the partnership, up to five Hull players will be able to turn out for the Knights each week, with their selection set to be overseen by head coaches Peter Gentle and Gary Thornton.

Are not the kind of media best practice Hull will be sharing. :D

In terms of availability it just leaves the issue of Thursday night games.

#126 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Our head coach Glenn Morrison and his assistant Richard Slater will decide at all times who plays for Dewsbury in 2013. It's very simple in that respect.

And if Bradford have some injury crisis and ask for their players back, Glenn Morrison and Richard Slater decide if they can go ? <_<
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#127 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

And if Bradford have some injury crisis and ask for their players back, Glenn Morrison and Richard Slater decide if they can go ? <_<

Of course not. What if Bradford had asked for Vinny Finnigan back while he was on dual-reg with you?

#128 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

All the proponents of these schemes appear to have overlooked the fact that the idea behind this is to keep fringe SL players 'match fit'. If they ain't playing they won't. So by default they will play. Otherwise the SL club gains nowt, will quickly pull out of the deal and look for another more accommodating club.

#129 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

All the proponents of these schemes appear to have overlooked the fact that the idea behind this is to keep fringe SL players 'match fit'. If they ain't playing they won't. So by default they will play. Otherwise the SL club gains nowt, will quickly pull out of the deal and look for another more accommodating club.

They will not play 'by default', they will play if they have earned their spot. This has been pointed out plenty of times, I'm not sure why you are finding this so hard to understand.
Posted Image

#130 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

They will not play 'by default', they will play if they have earned their spot. This has been pointed out plenty of times, I'm not sure why you are finding this so hard to understand.

So what do the SL club get out of this arrangement then? Cos they ain't doing it from the goodness of their heart to benefit CC clubs.

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep, 23 October 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#131 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

So what do the SL club get out of this arrangement then? Cos they ain't doing it from the goodness of their heart to benefit CC clubs.

They get to see how their fringe first team squad players fare in a tough open age competition, if selected of course.

If said fringe first team squad players don't get selected, then they will be forced to up their game. Thats the nature of team sport.
Posted Image

#132 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

They get to see how their fringe first team squad players fare in a tough open age competition, if selected of course.

If said fringe first team squad players don't get selected, then they will be forced to up their game. Thats the nature of team sport.

Well we will see gav but if your club goes down the drain or surrender to the calls of hull then you won't be able to complain as you back this idea of linking up with the SL club.The RFL and SL clubs are for themselves and don't care about any team outside of the SL as we all know but like I said if their is no York city knights and an hull knights in 5 years time you only have yourself to blame good luck with the link up but I wouldn't be surprised if their isn't a York hunslet dewsbury etc in 5 years time.But this says it all for me the 4 clubs who have just been promoted and stare relegation in the face have not yet linked up with anyone and I doubt they will now so that says to me that they have more ambition than most of the sides already in our league and if that's the case I would love them to stay up and 2 feeder clubs to get relegated just my opinion though as I see it would help our game more.

Edited by thundergaz, 23 October 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#133 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

Well we will see gav but if your club goes down the drain or surrender to the calls of hull then you won't be able to complain as you back this idea of linking up with the SL club.The RFL and SL clubs are for themselves and don't care about any team outside of the SL as we all know but like I said if their is no York city knights and an hull knights in 5 years time you only have yourself to blame good luck with the link up but I wouldn't be surprised if their isn't a York hunslet dewsbury etc in 5 years time

Ok then. I'm happy to leave it there. See you next season. B)
Posted Image

#134 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Where will they be able to "up their game"? They wont be able to play for their own clubs u19's and i would assume they wouldnt play for the dual clubs u23 (if they have one)

#135 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

But this says it all for me the 4 clubs who have just been promoted and stare relegation in the face have not yet linked up with anyone

Doncaster are linking with Wakefield.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#136 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

The problem for the 4 clubs promoted is that 3 of them are from Cumbria. Barrow and Workington are not linked with anyone but Whitehaven are St Helens second choice club after Rochdale.

As I have been saying earlier in this thread (twice) none of the SL clubs want to get involved with a Cumbria club as their first choice because of the logistics and travelling involved. How can this be a fair system? How does this not affect the integrity of the Championship competition?

Even the RFL have attached Cumbria to the expansion areas to which a SL club has to select a second linked club, if they want to do that, so immediately Cumbrian clubs have been relegated to the also rans for SL clubs to pick from in case they want to have a second choice club.

It's all very nice for clubs with a SL club in easy distance of each other but quite another matter where distance is involved.

Edited by Keith T, 23 October 2012 - 12:57 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#137 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

Where will they be able to "up their game"? They wont be able to play for their own clubs u19's and i would assume they wouldnt play for the dual clubs u23 (if they have one)

Current rules only allow dr players to play 1st team. To those in the know, is this changing?

#138 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

In training. They are full time professionals after all.
Posted Image

#139 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

In training. They are full time professionals after all.

Training with who?

#140 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

The problem for the 4 clubs promoted is that 3 of them are from Cumbria. Barrow and Workington are not linked with anyone but Whitehaven are St Helens second choice club after Rochdale.

As I have been saying earlier in this thread (twice) none of the SL clubs want to get involved with a Cumbria club as their first choice because of the logistics and travelling involved. How can this be a fair system? How does this not affect the integrity of the Championship competition?

Even the RFL have attached Cumbria to the expansion areas to which a SL club has to select a second linked club, if they want to do that, so immediately Cumbrian clubs have been relegated to the also rans for SL clubs to pick from in case they want to have a second choice club.

It's all very nice for clubs with a SL club in easy distance of each other but quite another matter where distance is involved.

I suspect you are unlikely to get a coherent response to a perfectly valid concern. Almost without exception the support ive seen for this scheme is based on a consideration of whether it benefits the individual club being discussed at the time, the wider impact on the competition(s) as whole appears to have been given very little thought.