Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SL / Championship "Partnerships"

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#141 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Training with who?

Their parent club.
Posted Image

#142 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Their parent club.

Then how will the championship club assess whether he has 'upped his game'?

#143 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

I suspect you are unlikely to get a coherent response to a perfectly valid concern. Almost without exception the support ive seen for this scheme is based on a consideration of whether it benefits the individual club being discussed at the time, the wider impact on the competition(s) as whole appears to have been given very little thought.

I think it strengthens the Championship and Championship 1 considerably. Look at how many players have been signed up to play Championship rugby from the old SuperLeague Academy teams already.

I actually made this very point last week, and gave it plenty of thought.
Posted Image

#144 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Then how will the championship club assess whether he has 'upped his game'?

From talking to the parent club, and from the training sessions they attend at the Championship club.
Posted Image

#145 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

From talking to the parent club, and from the training sessions they attend at the Championship club.

So selection of dr players will be based in part upon the reccomendation of the parent club.

#146 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

So selection of dr players will be based in part upon the reccomendation of the parent club.

Yes in part, and the final decision rests with the Head Coach of the Championship club.
Posted Image

#147 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yes in part, and the final decision rests with the Head Coach of the Championship club.

What if the players themselves say they don't want to travel to play for the Championship team?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#148 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

What if the players themselves say they don't want to travel to play for the Championship team?

Then tough, they won't play any rugby at all, and will probably end up getting released by their SuperLeague club for having such an unprofessional attitude.
Posted Image

#149 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Of course not. What if Bradford had asked for Vinny Finnigan back while he was on dual-reg with you?

Exactly.

So "at all times" means "not always" then.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#150 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

They will not play 'by default', they will play if they have earned their spot. This has been pointed out plenty of times, I'm not sure why you are finding this so hard to understand.

See post #149 above and open your eyes.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#151 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Exactly.

So "at all times" means "not always" then.

So, essentially, what you are saying is that you are against all kinds of loans and dual-registration agreements where the parent club has the power to recall its own players.

:unsure:

#152 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

My eyes are open thanks. They will play if they have earned their spot.
Posted Image

#153 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Featherstone have brought 2 super league players in,due to having a bigger wage budget,some clubs can't afford it,so for them can be good in a way,when featherstone have had injuries they have loaned players so featherstone won't be doing this again then,which could be at the end of season to give fev an edge over,but do agree should be up to the head coach to pick players which will hopefully be the case,but the full time players would expect to play if they make the journey to wherever,if 5 are offered don't have to take them all

#154 Vic Johnson

Vic Johnson
  • Coach
  • 631 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

My last comment on this post. I was in the company of some SL officials today who referred Championship clubs as 'Feeder clubs'. That's how they see it and thats how they will use it.
Featherstone Rovers-a Super league club in waiting. It's time to let us in.

#155 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Then tough, they won't play any rugby at all, and will probably end up getting released by their SuperLeague club for having such an unprofessional attitude.

There you are again thinking from the SL club and players viewpoint what about the Championship club that doesn't get the services of that player???

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#156 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

There you are again thinking from the SL club and players viewpoint what about the Championship club that doesn't get the services of that player???

What the hell do you want me to say?!

If a player doesn't want to play then its tough! The Championship club can't force anyone to play. In the unlikely event that this happens, the Championship club will play someone else, the player will get disciplined and surprisingly, life will move on.
Posted Image

#157 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

What the hell do you want me to say?!

If a player doesn't want to play then its tough! The Championship club can't force anyone to play. In the unlikely event that this happens, the Championship club will play someone else, the player will get disciplined and surprisingly, life will move on.

Have read your post and your trying your best, but at the end of the day your a feeder club as are Dewsbury as are leigh. If your happy with that then fair play

#158 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

Have read your post and your trying your best, but at the end of the day your a feeder club as are Dewsbury as are leigh. If your happy with that then fair play

Repeating the same incorrect statement ad nauseum doesn't make it true. They are not feeder clubs, no matter how much you want them to be.
Posted Image

#159 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,955 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Aye they are. We quibble over definition but that's what they are.
If you're happy with the "arrangement", however you wish to label it, fair do's. C'est la vie!

Edited by Robin Evans, 23 October 2012 - 09:44 PM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#160 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Repeating the same incorrect statement ad nauseum doesn't make it true. They are not feeder clubs, no matter how much you want them to be.

Read Vics post, that is what they think, and thats what you are. Seem to me like your just trying to convince yourselves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users