Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Energy bills

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

whilst not a bad idea I think you'd have to include a discount system for having kids, particularly when people have children in their first year.

Why should we subsidise breeders.

I am p!$$£d off with because we chose not to have children I am continually penalised within the tax system, so that those that can't afford kids can have more.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

It seems you made the wrong choice.

#23 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

It seems you made the wrong choice.

No I didn't. for what I want from life I made the right choice, I am punished by the government though for chosing a life without children. However people who have unplanned or planned children are allowed to take my money to pay for their holidays from my hard earned.

If you want kids the you fekin well pay for them not me.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#24 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

No I didn't. for what I want from life I made the right choice, I am punished by the government though for chosing a life without children. However people who have unplanned or planned children are allowed to take my money to pay for their holidays from my hard earned.

If you want kids the you fekin well pay for them not me.

I'm sure that your parent also claimed money on your behalf and you got a free education.

#25 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm sure that your parent also claimed money on your behalf and you got a free education.

I am sure they did claim money, and I did have free education, something I have no problem with. I even agree to a certain extent of 'free' university education.

My parents would have claimed money because they could, I didn't get a say in it.

Give me one good reason why I should pay more in tax overall for not having any children, why should I who puts less burden on society by not needing my children educated, by not having any claim on child benefit be subsidising those that cannot afford children without subsidies.

#26 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Because you have a conscience and you would not like to see children brought up in poverty and secondly you will want a pension one day and it would be nice if there was somebody working to help pay for it.

#27 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Because you have a conscience and you would not like to see children brought up in poverty and secondly you will want a pension one day and it would be nice if there was somebody working to help pay for it.

I prefer to see children not born into poverty, rather than brought up in it. Offering money for children encourages breeding to get your hands on the money and sod the children.

I fail to see what your pension point has to do with subsidised breeding. Unless you mean that if we stop breeding we have no workforce to pay tax to pay pensions, I negate that by saying, if we stop paying people to breed we have more money for pensions.

#28 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

In this day and age NO pensioner should die from lack of heating in winter due to cold weather payments,the problem is these payments are paid in cash to the pensioners to which some buy better xmas presents for their grand children or children,the payment should be paid direct to their energy supplier so its used for what is was assigned to do

#29 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

some buy better xmas presents for their grand children or children

I assume you have evidence for that assertion?

###### the grandchildren....I spend mine on booze :D

#30 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

The regulation of the energy industry goes against Tory free market philosophy, so take any headline banners with a pinch of salt.
'Regulations' will be so loosely written and enforcred that they will become redundant as the companies employing the bright sparks either put out press releases saying that they'll send their energy tax revenues abroad or they design ways around the regulations within 12 months, and we'll be in the same boat.

Neither the left or right wing governments have got to grips with a national energy policy in recent times, so now we are left with subsidising the French energy consumer a la EDF.

My first thoughts around this when was announced was that 'it'll be my bills that go up then, because I switch'. And I personally know people who don't bother to switch or save electricity/gas because it won't make any difference and have their heating set at about 27 - 28 degrees cos its nice and cosy. These people will see a saving for nothing.

A future energy policy has to be comprehensive as we are all in it together. Maybe the tarriffs have to be related to size of property, number of rooms, number of occupants, etc. An older person living in a small property in sheltered housing should not be paying similar to a family in a 3 bedroom semi. I'm not saying they do, but that should be the principle.

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Neither the left or right wing governments have got to grips with a national energy policy...

too true.

#32 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

too true.

That can be applied to all too many policies over the last few years I'm afraid.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#33 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,704 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

When I was young, we had frost on the *inside* of our windows. No joke.

AND coats on the bed.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#34 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

When I was young, we had frost on the *inside* of our windows. No joke.

AND coats on the bed.

Same here.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,704 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Same here.

Happy days though. :)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#36 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

Happy days though. :)

I never remember feeling cold though. Even now I rarely put the thermostat above 20 degrees. Mrs isn't always too happy though!

#37 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

It's always good to see how people's views change depending on who's doing what

#38 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

I am also suspicious that if Cameron is true to his word and the companies are forced to offer the lowest tariff the choice will be reduced and those people like myself who regularly shop around and switch will actually end up paying more.

I am also suspicious that if Cameron Miliband is true to his word and the companies are forced to offer the lowest tariff  freeze pricesthe choice will be reduced and those people like myself who regularly shop around and switch will actually end up paying more.

Edited by archibald, 25 September 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#39 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

I am also suspicious that if Cameron Miliband is true to his word and the companies are forced to offer the lowest tariff  freeze pricesthe choice will be reduced and those people like myself who regularly shop around and switch will actually end up paying more.

A rather selective quote. Here it is in full to give it the proper context:

Spot on John. The myth of competition is protected by the labyrinth like complexity of the energy companies multiple tariffs Like Gazza77 states in his post why not have a single price per provider so that we can make a proper comparison of one company against another? Because that would expose the fact that all the providers are in collusion and fix their prices to be pretty much the same.

I switched (again) a couple of weeks ago. When my current provider (First Utility) found out I was leaving them they miraculously found a better tariff to offer me. I compared this with the one I was moving to, a task that took me about half an hour in Excel to do. I reckon that I'm reasonably savvy with numbers and this type of analysis, but it still took me half an hour because it is so difficult to compare like for like.

I am also suspicious that if Cameron is true to his word and the companies are forced to offer the lowest tariff the choice will be reduced and those people like myself who regularly shop around and switch will actually end up paying more.

Also, if you'd follow my argument throughout the thread you'd see I was trying to point out that I was very much in the minatory (a link I provided in one post to Fact Check estimates that fewer than 10% change supplier).  ATEOTD I am fortunate enough to manage an increase in the price I pay, may are not.

#40 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,831 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Mandy and Blair not included. See http://www.theguardi...gy-price-freeze

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users