Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

They call it Rugby League… and I quite like it.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Sixteen years ago I attended my first ever Rugby League game between Hull KR and Leigh on a midweek winter night.

I guess you have to start somewhere!

My only real memories are that the scoreboard was electronic and actually worked, I was stood in ‘the well’, which is the terracing behind the dugouts, and it was bloody freezing!

The game ended with a 44-22 Rovers win and I became transfixed on the east stand across the pitch, which was barely half full yet the supporters who did attend created such a good atmosphere that I wanted to be in there with them.

As time went on I attended more games and started working for the club selling programmes. The club secretary at the time, Ron Turner, used to hand me a £10 float and I used to think I’d be minted if I made off with it.

Looking back I feel quite proud of myself for making the club some money at such an early age because although I used to miss the kick off but often returned to the office with a good £35/45 in my money bag. I had to give it up after about two years because I’d started playing myself and was never sure if I’d get to the ground in time to take up my post.

Unfortunately the club were in a financial mess for a number of years and were entered into a CVA (company voluntary arrangement) to try and stay out of administration, and whereas that kind of goes over your head when you’re a kid, I realised something must be happening because we ended up raising money for the club by walking from East Park to Craven Park for ‘Rovers On The March’, which is still celebrated by supporters that remember it.

We hammered Swinton that day and the main thing that stood out for me was that Mark Hewitt played a blinder, scored a try and still came off the pitch with a clean shirt on!

That was around the same time that we’d drawn Super League side London Broncos in the Challenge Cup and I’d heard about the likes of Shaun Edwards and Martin Offiah, who were from the Super League and were better than any player I’d have seen up until that point.

As it turns out, we lost narrowly, 6-0 I think, and it was the first time I ventured over to the east stand, and I’ve stood there ever since.

This was my introduction to what we affectionately call ‘The Greatest Game’.

I’ve grown up with the sport and have seen it mould itself into the product we see today. Like everyone else, I have my own personal highlights that I look back on, and amongst a lot of doom and gloom that seems quite contagious, recognise just how good Rugby League is.

At one point or another you’ll be sat around having a few beers with your mates who you’ve met at the rugby and the conversation will turn to, ‘do you remember this, do you remember that?’ As a group you’ll reminisce about the big things that have shaped your love for the sport, and the little things that everyone can relate to.

That to me is what makes our sport so special; the togetherness of the supporters of each individual club, and then as a collective across the board. This is my 1000th post on this forum, so I thought I’d try and make it a good one.

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,146 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Not sure you're meant to enjoy it mate. I thought the point was to question and analyse everything in minute detail, declare everything a joke and not as good as in the past before announcing you have had enough and are leaving forever. ;)

Well isn't it?

#3 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Quite right too! Rugby League isn't too bad when you think about it eh? :D

Top post.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#4 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,023 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

So...who did you sign Mark Hewitt from then...eh?, eh? :P

Some things never change. :rolleyes:

RyanBailey_2640424.jpg

"Nobody told me there were two teams called Rovers, I thought I'd signed for Fev..."

#5 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

He was indeed. I have no idea if he is still going although I will try to find out tonight!

#6 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,662 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Sixteen years ago I attended my first ever Rugby League game between Hull KR and Leigh on a midweek winter night.

I guess you have to start somewhere!

My only real memories are that the scoreboard was electronic and actually worked, I was stood in ‘the well’, which is the terracing behind the dugouts, and it was bloody freezing!

The game ended with a 44-22 Rovers win and I became transfixed on the east stand across the pitch, which was barely half full yet the supporters who did attend created such a good atmosphere that I wanted to be in there with them.

As time went on I attended more games and started working for the club selling programmes. The club secretary at the time, Ron Turner, used to hand me a £10 float and I used to think I’d be minted if I made off with it.

Looking back I feel quite proud of myself for making the club some money at such an early age because although I used to miss the kick off but often returned to the office with a good £35/45 in my money bag. I had to give it up after about two years because I’d started playing myself and was never sure if I’d get to the ground in time to take up my post.

Unfortunately the club were in a financial mess for a number of years and were entered into a CVA (company voluntary arrangement) to try and stay out of administration, and whereas that kind of goes over your head when you’re a kid, I realised something must be happening because we ended up raising money for the club by walking from East Park to Craven Park for ‘Rovers On The March’, which is still celebrated by supporters that remember it.

We hammered Swinton that day and the main thing that stood out for me was that Mark Hewitt played a blinder, scored a try and still came off the pitch with a clean shirt on!

That was around the same time that we’d drawn Super League side London Broncos in the Challenge Cup and I’d heard about the likes of Shaun Edwards and Martin Offiah, who were from the Super League and were better than any player I’d have seen up until that point.

As it turns out, we lost narrowly, 6-0 I think, and it was the first time I ventured over to the east stand, and I’ve stood there ever since.

This was my introduction to what we affectionately call ‘The Greatest Game’.

I’ve grown up with the sport and have seen it mould itself into the product we see today. Like everyone else, I have my own personal highlights that I look back on, and amongst a lot of doom and gloom that seems quite contagious, recognise just how good Rugby League is.

At one point or another you’ll be sat around having a few beers with your mates who you’ve met at the rugby and the conversation will turn to, ‘do you remember this, do you remember that?’ As a group you’ll reminisce about the big things that have shaped your love for the sport, and the little things that everyone can relate to.

That to me is what makes our sport so special; the togetherness of the supporters of each individual club, and then as a collective across the board. This is my 1000th post on this forum, so I thought I’d try and make it a good one.

Good post. It's all too easy to forget that the reason we get so passionate about RL's goings on is that we really do love the game. I, for one, would feel lost without it.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users