Gideon Osborne - Fare Dodger!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,306 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Perhaps if all and sundry are criticising the current government then just maybe they are poor at governing. Just a thought. ;)

Even Tory hardman Norman Tebbitt's having a go this morning.
http://www.guardian....tion-government
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,611 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

As I said, the right don't like Cameron and indeed will never forgive him for the Coalition. Tebbit a hard man? Yer 'avin a larff!!! Tebbit is very much a bitter and discredited yesterdays man, so much so he could joint the rest of yesterdays men on the Labour front benches.

#23 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,306 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

As I said, the right don't like Cameron and indeed will never forgive him for the Coalition. Tebbit a hard man? Yer 'avin a larff!!! Tebbit is very much a bitter and discredited yesterdays man, so much so he could joint the rest of yesterdays men on the Labour front benches.

I hate to repeat myself, but you'll say anything. Tories don't come any more Tory than Tebbitt!
Presumably the hard right think Cameron should have formed a minority government and gone to the country 6 months later. But could he have done that? Without a confidence vote? Surely the other parties would have bided their time like the Tories did in the late seventies. A PM can ask for a disillusion but there's no certainty he'd be granted one. Perhaps in those circumstances the Queen would have asked whoever was leading the next largest party to see if he/she could form a government. Or perhaps in May 2010 if he hadn't got Clegg on board Clegg would have formed a government with Labour. The point I made earlier is that at the 2010 election Cameron missed an open goal. Not enough people trusted him and the Tories despite the fact that Brown was very unpopular. Presumably someone sold Cameron on the austerity idea, believing in a short sharp shock. and presumably he sold it to Clegg. It hasn't worked (as Balls predicted in August 2010) and now he (and we) are up a certain creek without a paddle.

#24 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

So basically what you're saying is that no matter who it is criticising 'call me Dave' and his gang they are wrong and they are doing a bang up job and it's only you who is bright enough to see it? <_<

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#25 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Oh dear oh dear. It seems Gideon has made HAS made this "mistake" before. Torygraph
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#26 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Surely it would be simpler to employ Alistair Campbell. End of problems :D

Indeed, but could AC bring himself to work for another lot of right wing, privately educated, posh boys? :P

#27 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

I really don't see why this is even a story? He paid his own money to upgrade to first class. So what?

#28 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I really don't see why this is even a story? He paid his own money to upgrade to first class. So what?

It's about honesty and integrity, two things we should expect from our leaders.

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

It's about honesty and integrity, two things we should expect from our leaders.

What's dishonest about paying the extra to upgrade out of your own money? It's perfectly legitimate to obtain an upgrade if there are seats available. I've done it myself.

#30 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,306 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

It's a story because the Granada Reports reporter heard Osbourne's assistant arguing about whether they should pay the upgrade at all. It's a story because instead of working on the train, they spent their time watching a movie.
It's a story because once again it's an illustration of how out of touch with the lives of ordinary people Cameron and co really are.

#31 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

What's dishonest about paying the extra to upgrade out of your own money? It's perfectly legitimate to obtain an upgrade if there are seats available. I've done it myself.

Do you think it is honest to sit in first class when you have only purchased a standard fare? I wonder if he would've pad the full fare if no one had said anything. :rolleyes:

Edited by Severus, 21 October 2012 - 09:25 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#32 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

We won't know he used his own money to pay for the upgrade until his expenses have been processed. I imagine the Telegraph are penning a FOI request as I type this. ;)

Anyway, here is what Gidion's mate Boris thinks:

Attached Thumbnails

• 553937_10151282085412658_398065744_n.jpg

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,611 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

What you have to realise is that in the absence of any really effective opposition in Parliament, this forum has taken over the role and is focussing on the things that really matter

see http://www.telegraph...ss-flights.html

More than 180 MPs - including a third of the shadow cabinet - are enjoying first-class train travel at the taxpayer’s expense, an investigation has revealed.

#34 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,611 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

So basically what you're saying is that no matter who it is criticising 'call me Dave' and his gang they are wrong and they are doing a bang up job and it's only you who is bright enough to see it? <_<

I can hardly be describe as bright given I spend most of my time on here fruitlessly trying to lift the scales from the eyes of those who are blind but do not want to see,. :wacko:

Merely pointing out why Cameron is under attack from the right as well as the left. You not agreeing with my view does not make my view wrong.

Clearly, the Labour Party will criticise everything that the Coalition has done, is doing, and will do.

Clearly, the rabid right ditto, so annoyed that Cameron has has to throw in his lot with Clegg and co to attain power. Cameron recruited Mitchell as cheif whip because he believed he would be strong enough to bring his back benchers into line, so it comes as no surprise that at the very first opportunity, the'd try to get rid of him. Of course, there are those who believe that despite Orgreave, despite Hillsborough, despite Stefan Kisko, despite Jean Charles de Menezes, despite this, that and the other, on this occasion, the police should be believed.

And clearly there are those Lib Dems who would rather have gone in with Labour will criticise everything that the Coalition has done, is doing, and will do.

As is to be expected, their media mouthpieces will follow suit. The telegraph and the Barclay Brothers for example.

#35 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

I can hardly be describe as bright given I spend most of my time on here fruitlessly trying to lift the scales from the eyes of those who are blind but do not want to see,. :wacko:

Merely pointing out why Cameron is under attack from the right as well as the left. You not agreeing with my view does not make my view wrong.

Clearly, the Labour Party will criticise everything that the Coalition has done, is doing, and will do.

Clearly, the rabid right ditto, so annoyed that Cameron has has to throw in his lot with Clegg and co to attain power. Cameron recruited Mitchell as cheif whip because he believed he would be strong enough to bring his back benchers into line, so it comes as no surprise that at the very first opportunity, the'd try to get rid of him. Of course, there are those who believe that despite Orgreave, despite Hillsborough, despite Stefan Kisko, despite Jean Charles de Menezes, despite this, that and the other, on this occasion, the police should be believed.

And clearly there are those Lib Dems who would rather have gone in with Labour will criticise everything that the Coalition has done, is doing, and will do.

As is to be expected, their media mouthpieces will follow suit. The telegraph and the Barclay Brothers for example.

You may be right. Not much support forthcoming for Dave in this article in today's usually staunch Tory supporting Telegraph. Some of the comments aren't too complimentary either. :rolleyes:

#36 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

What you have to realise is that in the absence of any really effective opposition in Parliament, this forum has taken over the role and is focussing on the things that really matter

More than 180 MPs - including a third of the shadow cabinet - are enjoying first-class train travel at the taxpayer’s expense, an investigation has revealed.

Seems like a sensible policy to me. I use the same rules for when I travel to London and I can always get a cheaper pre-booked first class return than an open standard class return. I choose to sacrifice flexibility for comfort, even if it means I stay in London a little longer than I need.

#37 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

:lol:
Fides invicta triumphat

#38 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'm with High Peak Rhino on this one.
Seems like a sensible plan and if it were my own money I'd do the same thing, which is my own criterion for a legitimate expense claim.

On top of that these guys are supposed to be running the country for ###### sake, it is entirely reasonable they use first class train travel especially the cabinet and shadow cabinet, I would expect they will be working and first class allows greater privacy and better facilities for that.

Just by way of a comparison the HMRC approved mileage rate for the first 10,000 miles claimed would make that journey worth £126 in each direction.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#39 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Do you think it is honest to sit in first class when you have only purchased a standard fare? I wonder if he would've pad the full fare if no one had said anything. :rolleyes:

I've sat in first class when it has been empty, the ticket guy has come around and I've asked for an upgrade, and got one.

#40 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

I've sat in first class when it has been empty, the ticket guy has come around and I've asked for an upgrade, and got one.

Would you have continued to sit in first class if the ticket guy hadn't have come around?
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users